• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

19" LCD monitor - suggestions?

AshG

I'm finally going to replace my alternately working/not working massive 13" monitor here and have decided to go with a 19" LCD.

I'm looking for recommendations as to where to go for one of these(downtown Toronto), and also if there any brands i should be wary of. I'll be checking out a few College/Spadina stores in general, but any specific tips would be good.

What i'm looking for from it is simply a large, flat screen - i don't care about refresh times and the like as all i'm using it for is music, and so i just really need to see a lot of things at once, though those things won't be really too graphics intensive. So really, a cheap, reliable, 19" LCD monitor is all i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

C-NiCE

TRIBE Promoter
I just bought this Hyundai monitor (Yes, a Hyundai!) and I am VERY happy with it.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1218288&CatId=170

I didn't know too much about Hyundai monitors before I started shopping but in terms of high quality resolution and bang for the buck, this monitor got great reviews. I've only had it for about a month now but I love this thing. Oh and it rotates too! Disregard the price on tiger direct, I payed $345 down on College (ROT Computers)

Anakin

TRIBE Member
Acer and Benq pretty good, I have 2 17" Acers, if you want to spend the extra cash Samsung are excellent.

Keep in mind, that any LCD that you buy for less than $400, will probably have a resolution of 1280x1024, regardless if it is 17" or 19". The 17" will probably look better at that resolution, plus when comparing it to your CRT, a 17" LCD has the same viewable screen as a 19" CRT. The same is true for a 19" LCD, having the same viewable area as a 21" CRT.

I'd try out Canada Computers they have some decent prices. http://www.canadacomputers.com

AshG

Anakin said:
Acer and Benq pretty good, I have 2 17" Acers, if you want to spend the extra cash Samsung are excellent.

Keep in mind, that any LCD that you buy for less than $400, will probably have a resolution of 1280x1024, regardless if it is 17" or 19". The 17" will probably look better at that resolution, plus when comparing it to your CRT, a 17" LCD has the same viewable screen as a 19" CRT. The same is true for a 19" LCD, having the same viewable area as a 21" CRT.

I'd try out Canada Computers they have some decent prices. http://www.canadacomputers.com
yeah i don't really care about resoultion at all - the dials and pots and shit i'm looking at for audio bizz don't require anything above mediocre clarity. I really just need to have the physical space to see a lot of stuff at once.

def. going lcd though.

ah, that dell mentioned above looks like a fantastic deal.
if i knew they wouldn't 'free' ship with UPS(and therefore inflicting automatic extra costs to me), i'd snap that up.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Anakin said:

So what you're saying is a 20"+ is the way to go if you want resolution past 1280x1024. Are most of those 20"+ wide screens? How does that look when you're web browsing?

Last edited:

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
The Acer monitors have really impressed me lately. I used to scoff this brand but they are offering the best value out there right now imo... check out future shop for the best price.

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
C-NiCE said:
I just bought this Hyundai monitor (Yes, a Hyundai!) and I am VERY happy with it.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1218288&CatId=170

I didn't know too much about Hyundai monitors before I started shopping but in terms of high quality resolution and bang for the buck, this monitor got great reviews. I've only had it for about a month now but I love this thing. Oh and it rotates too! Disregard the price on tiger direct, I payed $345 down on College (ROT Computers)
Another vote for this LCD. I've had mine for 9 months now and still love it. It uses a Samsung panel, has amazing colour reproduction and really crisp imaging.

pseudonoise

TRIBE Member
My girlfriend's BenQ LCD just bit the big one, in less than 6 months.

I bought this 24" widescreen from Dell and am VERY happy with it:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=CADHS1&sku=320-4221&category_id=4009

It is great, is has:
  • Picture in Picture
  • Picture by Picture
  • Component Video Input
  • 5 in 1 Card Reader
  • 90 degree rotate
  • Adjustable height and swivel

Only problem is that my ATI All-in-Wonder 256MB GC seems to have a bit of difficulty with that kind of resolution. May have to upgrade.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bblutoo

TRIBE Member
C-NiCE said:

gonna check this one out.

i've been thinking about an LCD monitor lately. I've also been meaning to check out Tigerdirect, seeing as it's just down the street from my office.