• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

18 years after czernobyl

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Gunark

TRIBE Member
winner:

barby.jpg

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
marauders in radiation poluted area are not just a regular marauders, they don't steal stuff for themselves. There were cases of radiactive tv sets and other stuff being sold on city second hand markets and then police shot 7 or 8 of them and it helped

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
The saddest part about Chernobyl is that it was ENTIRELY preventable.

The pictures are incredibly serene, odd, ghostlike.... sort of like in that movie 28 Days where Trafalgar Square is EMPTY.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Actually... Chernobyl was not preventable. They were using graphite moderators.

It could've been preventable had they used a different system, like CanDu, but that just wasn't happening.

Everyone remembers Chernobyl... but they easily forget Three Mile Island, Cold River and Chicago.

newstyle666

TRIBE Member
so the towns and stuff in that area are completely abandoned?? Like entire apartment buildings that you could explore in?

That would be very exciting... tho i would def. take a radiation measuring device!

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
a geiger won't do you much.
since the whole area has a baseline radiation level, you'll be irradiated the second you stay longer than 10min

funkinbeats

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by newstyle666
so the towns and stuff in that area are completely abandoned?? Like entire apartment buildings that you could explore in?

They were completely new apartments too, according to the girl....

graham

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by The Tesseract

It could've been preventable had they used a different system, like CanDu, but that just wasn't happening.

Everyone remembers Chernobyl... but they easily forget Three Mile Island, Cold River and Chicago.

that's because three mile island was 15 curies emission. It was a scare rather than a disaster.

that chernobyl wasn't preventable is debatable. My understanding of the human role in the accident is very different.

Quirkz

TRIBE Member
Didn't candu du it's reactors by using an excess of radioactive feul? I thought it was also about can don't give tech to poor countries that might make bombs but instead gives them polluting reactors that aren't really that great as they were made out to be.

The most disturbing thing I remeber about chernobyl is a picture in some magazine showing a room full of jars containing aborted mutated fetuses. Not one jar, a room with shelfs stacked with them.

:: salathe ::

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark
Anyone still trumpeting nuclear fission power needs to have a look through this site.
unless industrialized nations decrease consumption dramatically (i.e. you, me and billions of others give up things that add to 'quality of life'), and we propose to keep developing nations in the dark, that's not a very realistic opinion.

http://www.nuc.umr.edu/%7Eans/poor.html

locally, nuclear power adds around $4.5bil to the canadian GDP. AECL employs thousands of canadians.

the canadian-engineered CANDU reactors are designed with high redundancy and have better safety features (i.e. group separation) than the old russian reactors. it's questionable to condemn an entire technology because of early screwups. in such gruesome accounting, chernobyl is the price of progress (i.e. meeting the energy demands of mr. everyman northamerican who is only concerned with the newest, shiniest widget).

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
A friend of mine from Kiev said that when Chernobyl blew up her parents went furniture shopping. They wanted a kitchen table and would have had to wait years to get one otherwise. It was a good shopping day, the crowds were minimal.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract

Chernobyl was preventable as it was human error that caused initiated the reaction.

As for the others, yes it is too bad that people forget. Three Mile Island could have been absolutely devastating. The US propaganda machine quickly and regularly forgets to mention this and as such I'm sure that the majority of people out there don't realize just how bad it was.

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: 18 years after czernobyl

Originally posted by :: salathe ::
the canadian-engineered CANDU reactors are designed with high redundancy and have better safety features (i.e. group separation) than the old russian reactors. it's questionable to condemn an entire technology because of early screwups. in such gruesome accounting, chernobyl is the price of progress (i.e. meeting the energy demands of mr. everyman northamerican who is only concerned with the newest, shiniest widget).

It is sad that so many people are so quick to judge. Coal/oil/natural gas fired power plants spew thousands of tons of cancer causing gases into the air every year but *apparently* that is better then spent fuel being stored in pools.

CANDU reactors are some of the safest in the world to operate. From the discussions I've had and talks I've heard in recent months I'd bet that nuclear power is the way of the future. Sure it is expensive to build but the pollution caused by it, other then a meltdown, is almost none. Plus, they are excellent are carrying a base load.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: 18 years after czernobyl

Originally posted by :: salathe ::
unless industrialized nations decrease consumption dramatically (i.e. you, me and billions of others give up things that add to 'quality of life'), and we propose to keep developing nations in the dark, that's not a very realistic opinion.

http://www.nuc.umr.edu/%7Eans/poor.html

locally, nuclear power adds around $4.5bil to the canadian GDP. AECL employs thousands of canadians.

I'm more of a technocrat than a ludite, so in general I would agree with you. However, nuclear fission is just something we shouldn't be messing with -- especially considering there are alternatives.

I really do think there's something drastically wrong with the way we live our lives.... I know you present reduction in consumption as an unthinkable alternative, but it's worth a look. I would strongly suggest reading Jeremy Ripkins "The Hydrogen Economy". The alternative energy economy it presents is quite plausible, without the need for nuclear fission power. What he suggests is not necessarily a reduction in power consumption, just a change in the how we produce and consume energy.

Last edited:

scruffy1

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: 18 years after czernobyl

Originally posted by Gunark
I would strongly suggest reading Jeremy Ripkins "The Hydrogen Economy". The alternative energy economy it presents is quite plausible, without the need for nuclear fission power (and without drastic reductions in power consumption).

The "hydrogen economy" will rely heavily on nuclear power plants producing the hydrogen through electrolysis. Just ask Dr. Ballard from General Hydrogen (founder of Ballard Power), I did.

The hydrogen economy will not reduce pollution, necessarily, it is how the hydrogen is generated that will help to reduce pollution. Just remember that it hydrogen will be a form of currency, so it would be like saying that the euro will reduce pollution.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: 18 years after czernobyl

Originally posted by scruffy1
The "hydrogen economy" will rely heavily on nuclear power plants producing the hydrogen through electrolysis. Just ask Dr. Ballard from General Hydrogen (founder of Ballard Power), I did.

The hydrogen economy will not reduce pollution, necessarily, it is how the hydrogen is generated that will help to reduce pollution. Just remember that it hydrogen will be a form of currency, so it would be like saying that the euro will reduce pollution.

Alright good points. What's your take on fusion power (besides it being a long ways off)?