1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

15 dead from stampede at Love Parade

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by The Truth, Jul 24, 2010.

1. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

A stampede inside a tunnel crowded with techno music fans has crushed 15 people to death at Germany's famed Love Parade festival.

Thousands of other revelers kept partying at the event in Duisberg, near Dusseldorf, unaware of the deadly stampede that started when police reportedly tried to block thousands of people from entering.

The unconfirmed reports say the police closed off the area where the parade was being held because it was already over-crowded.

The party continued after the accident, with many of the other participants unaware of the stampede, news station n-tv reported. The Love Parade was once an institution in Berlin, but has been held in the industrial Ruhr region of western Germany since 2007.

The original Berlin Love Parade grew from a 1989 peace demonstration into a huge outdoor celebration of club culture that drew about 1.5 million people at its peak in 1999. But it suffered from financial problems and tensions with city officials in later years, and eventually moved.

At least 15 dead in German techno parade stampede - Yahoo! News UK

2. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

I live next to the Exhibition and if I'm in town, I check out Caribana. Been to more parades than the average bear. I try to look at it from the viewpoint of a promoter.

This is my worst fear for the parade here.

I see it as a very likely possibility as I've been in some really tight situations over the years.

They've put up lots of fences and as a result created so many bottlenecks around the parade area.

Two years ago, it was early in the parade and I was on Lakeshore in front of the Legion. You can see down Lakeshore to the west from there. There was loud bang and a few people thought it was a gun. You could see the crowd start to go ping, ping, ping. I could see people start to run only because they saw others start running. I was half a click away and I still had to check myself.

It died out because there is a lot of room for the crowd on this part of the route. But this isn't the case around Ontario Place.

I talked to a friend who's a cop and says that the insurance companies want all the fences.

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

love killed them.

they are in german techno love heaven now.

[jai]

4. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Dammit if we all hadn't depleted the PLUR stocks around 2001 then this wouldn't have happened!

5. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

this sucks. I've been to a party around 99 where something like this happened.

2000 people being held outside the venue until around 2am, by that time people were crushing each other trying to storm the main doors. It was a definitely a little more scary than the typical overcrowding and pushing once your inside.

People just fucking start loosing their shit when your in a very densely packed area for 2+ hours, waiting for something to happen.

6. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

why didn't the Techno Viking save them??

7. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

8. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

18 now.

9. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

10. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

brutal.

11. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

Very sad.

The only time I've felt threatened in a crowd was after the Pride Parade in front of Woodys. It was getting too packed and I could't move forward anymore. Then I realized I could move back or sideways either and I started to feel shoving. Not a good situation.

12. The Truth

The Truth TRIBE Member

13. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

14. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

:(

15. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I heard on the news this morning that there will no longer be Love Parades.

You know what is also a great time? Street Parade. Don't know if they still do em, but I went to one in Switzerland in 2000.

16. junglisthead

junglisthead TRIBE Member

all caused by the fact the cops felt it was too many people and tried pushing them back ! pathetic

17. depraved

depraved TRIBE Member

die maschine is bored of love

18. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

Looks like CBC crashed the barbecue to interview Tribers about this. CBC just aired the clip a moment ago.

19. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

20. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

21. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

wow. the hunted down the annual techno BBQ. ;)

22. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

thanks ;)

23. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Glad to see our tribe crew looking and sounding educated and coherent ;)

24. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

lol

25. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Jack is in the clip!