1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

1000 thread count sheets - ruined I think.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by bombthreat23, Jul 20, 2010.

1. bombthreat23

bombthreat23 TRIBE Member

grrrrrrr we bought some sheets that were 100% Egyptian cotton and 1000 thread count, soft as hell until we washed them. Now they are like hard as a rock. We followed the washing instructions to a T but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get them back to being soft or are we screwed?

2. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

did you dry them? some cotton will feel really stiff when wet and when dried goes back to normal.

3. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

put them in the dryer?

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

it is possible that they just shrunk to the point of uselessness. i hope that's not the case though. do the sheets look any smaller?

typically putting these types of things in the dryer softens them up - using my experience with towels, etc. hang-drying towels leaves them feeling like cardboard.

5. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

and if anyone knows how to get hooker blood out of sheets as well, send me a pm

6. derek

derek TRIBE Member

pm sent.

7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

where did you buy them? take em back

8. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Check the mattress underneath for any "soak through" as well.

9. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

The universe is punishing you for using Tribe to rat out G20 vandals. Karma's just weird that way.

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator TRIBE Member

Please tell me you've never slept in these sheets before. The thought of sleeping in unwashed new sheets gives me the heebies.

11. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

I know. Every time I'm surreptitiously wanking into a package of unopened sheets at The Bay I think "I hope they wash these before the sleep on them."

12. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

all I could think about when seeing this thread title was Aziz Ansari's stand up about sheet threadcount.
    unfortunately it's not on youtube so I can't embed it but you can watch it (its around 2.5 minutes long) here: Aziz Ansari Talks About Sheets - CollegeHumor video

that being out of the way, I agree with returning them if possible (Im assuming you got them recently).
    I have 700 threadcount and they are still what I'd classify as quite soft after a handful of washings.
    are you using bleach or something that could damage the thread?

13. octo

octo TRIBE Member

that's why i only buy 2000+ thread count sheets

14. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

steam them

15. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Anything dried on a line is going to be crunchy. If you did line dry them, run them through a fluff cycle in the dryer first before panicking. If you washed and dryed them in a proper dryer with sufficient fabric softener and they still turned out crunchy, by all means take them back! 1000 count sheets should if washed and dried properly, be soft and silky.

16. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

This reminds me of a consumer's report I saw that compared a bunch of sheets and found that the best were some genero "bay" brand sheets. The expensive ones from "egypt" aka china all were lacklustre after washing.

aka you got ripped off for being pretentious.

-jM
    A&D

17. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Ha, I've never privileged myself enough to buy sheets with an advertised thread count.

18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

[YOUTUBE]zxtn6-XQupM[/YOUTUBE]

19. WestsideWax

moar = bettar

20. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Did you use special 1000-thread count detergent? Imperative that only water from the Nile ever touches those sheets.

21. Fillmore

Fillmore TRIBE Member

haha nice1

22. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

washing sheets - top secret info!

23. skin deep

skin deep TRIBE Member

Anybody have any tips for taking my 2000 thread count sheets on a plane?

24. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

I don't think I have ever noticed the texture of a sheet to care enough about the thread count.

Hell, I'm content sleeping directly on a mattress.

25. WestsideWax

They'll keep better if you wrap them in Burberry scarves.