• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

1 terrabyte SSD drives getting cheaper!

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Anyone find they're not using as much storage these days? I pretty much stream everything and saving things to the cloud.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyone find they're not using as much storage these days? I pretty much stream everything and saving things to the cloud.
I have a penchant for video quality - streaming no good.

Like my 30GB blurays of key titles, minimum 8GB 1080p yo..;)

My storage needs have only gone up

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I have a 256GB solid state drive from a pooched macbook pro. It's smaller than a SIMM card.

The only manufacturers that can figure out the interface for an enclosure is a company in the states. $100.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
still isn't cheap. You're looking at the cost of another computer, and thats what it is - just a purpose built one.

So you know when I got my drobo it was 599 and added a few 2 TB (max size at a time) and next thing you know i was over a grand taxes and shipping in.

Heck, 5 4TB drives is a grand right there.

So none of this is super cheap, and drobo and NAS chassis generally are a not insignificant price BEFORE you start buying drives to load it with.
Was looking at Drobo, and the one con seems to be the proprietary file system. They are definitely cheaper units then alot of the offerings our there, but i have heard peoples complaints about moving to different NAS enclosures and not being able to stick those same drives in due to not able to be read.

It wont be cheap, but its worth it to me for the security of the photos and videos documenting my life, and then Music and other media.

I wouldnt have kept it if i didnt want it LOL.

I expect i will go with something similar to the following.

- Well Reviewed quality NAS enclosure ( Drobo or no Drobo ) This looks interesting for no drobo
- 5 x Seagate NAS HDD 3TB Drives

So this would be effectively 15TB ( minus lost space due to formatting ) plus having 2 x 4TB HD enclosures that im currently using for other less ' critical ' data, or ill hook one up to my lovely ladies comp, and one for the Zotac ZBOX in the living room :D

we shall see.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Was looking at Drobo, and the one con seems to be the proprietary file system. They are definitely cheaper units then alot of the offerings our there, but i have heard peoples complaints about moving to different NAS enclosures and not being able to stick those same drives in due to not able to be read.

It wont be cheap, but its worth it to me for the security of the photos and videos documenting my life, and then Music and other media.

I wouldnt have kept it if i didnt want it LOL.

I expect i will go with something similar to the following.

- Well Reviewed quality NAS enclosure ( Drobo or no Drobo ) This looks interesting for no drobo
- 5 x Seagate NAS HDD 3TB Drives

So this would be effectively 15TB ( minus lost space due to formatting ) plus having 2 x 4TB HD enclosures that im currently using for other less ' critical ' data, or ill hook one up to my lovely ladies comp, and one for the Zotac ZBOX in the living room :D

we shall see.
I guess i havent felt the drawback - its been working for I dunno, 6 years? I guess if it dies i'll need one from the drobo family but its a long term thing you're doing - i'd decide on other factors, price, how much you want to configure it and such

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
See thats the thing im not sure you can do. If what i read is true, the Drobo's from 6 years ago, dont encode or read the same as the new ones, and some nightmare support stories where people needing help are turned away due to the warranty being 1 month past, and literally zero help from them unless you have a product with active warranty.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Nerp i was wrong.

"Criticism, Customer Support Issues with Drobo[edit]

The Drobo was initially criticized for lacking an Ethernet port,[12] preventing it from being used as a self-contained NAS appliance. These complaints have been addressed with the release of the DroboShare physical add-on, and the release of the Drobo FS and DroboPro FS, Drobo 5N dedicated NAS versions.

Some reviewers complained about speed and reliability issues of the 2nd generation Drobo when connected to a Windows PC using FireWire 800.[13]

One criticism stands even with the latest generation of Drobos. The "Drobo death spiral" shows that the Drobo itself is the single point of failure for customers owning only a single unit. Its disks use the proprietary Drobo format and hence cannot be mounted or read on any other system.[14] In contrast, other vendors might use data on disk via mdadm and the ext2 / ext3 / ext4 file system formats,[15] which might be accessed on any other Linux system.

Drobo has also been criticized for poor customer support by leading Photoshop evangelist Scott Kelby.[14] In addition Drobo will not provide any support or repair for units that the company has discontinued.[16] As Drobo repair is not readily available from anyone other than Drobo, users of older units who wish to retain data saved on an older Drobo must purchase a new unit if a problem arises.

Like all hardware RAID systems, Drobo units format disks in a proprietary way that cannot be mounted or read on any other system,[17] though data recovery is possible from a professional data recovery service.[citation needed] Users with failed Drobo units who wish to retain saved data must purchase a new unit from Drobo, as Drobo maintains backwards compatibility with different versions of their proprietary format.[18]

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya there are so many storage horror stories online, from everywhere.

The worst one is probably my dads with a well known, well regarded NAS maker.

Had a few problems with his first arrays, needed the unit replaced and the array ported over, lots of back and forth with the store.

all that is bad enough, but store was kind of a mom and pop operation and one on of his trips to fix all this he was in the store and the owner had this little dog just TEARING around the place, super hyper.

My dad's a bit of an animal lover and started playing with it.

Little thing, like a chihuahua size, jumped up in his arms and was doing ok for a moment and then just like, freaked, jumped out of his arms...

....and landed on his neck, breaking it and killing himself instantly, in front of the owner and a bunch of customers.

Freak accident. Needless to say, kind of haunting to both shop owner and my dad, and after stuff got fixed they kind of keep their distance, everyone knows it was an accident its just awkward now.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
HOLY SHIT !!!!

Did not see that twist coming LOOOOOL

Fack, well im going to continue doing more research, i find i like to sit on these and really think about what im going to get, before dumping coin into it.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter

kyfe

TRIBE Member
So I have the new MBPro 15 inch with the touch bar and a 500gb SSD
I am finally looking at getting a USB-C SSD portable drive.
apple carries two that I'm looking at
SanDisk 480GB Extreme 510 USB/USB-C Portable SSD
SanDisk 480GB Extreme 510 USB/USB-C Portable SSD

and
G-Technology 500GB G-DRIVE slim SSD USB-C Portable Drive
G-Technology 500GB G-DRIVE slim SSD USB-C Portable Drive

I'm specifically looking at these drives because I need to buy from Apple, specifically want SSD, Speed (both do about 430mb/s) and want portability (ie weight, durability, size)
my wife is trying to get me to go lacie rugged but I don't want a platter drive, while this would increase my capacity it would decrease my speed and durability so that my reasoning for not going lacie even though I could get a 2tb for around the same price, also I have 2 other 500gb SSD (USB 3.0). Warranties for the above drives are 2 and 3 years respectively

can anyone comment on their experiences with either maker?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Don't buy from Apple and find the same things elsewhere for a lot cheaper.
That's actually not true in this case. both drives are cheaper at apple than other retailers.

Regardless as I said, I need to buy from apple for personal reasons

the G-drive for example is 217, on amazon it's 235

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I've never heard of G-Technology, Sandisk is a decent brand.

You could also look for an internal SSD and get an enclosure with USB C

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I ended up scoring a Crucial SSD 750gb for $220 and a Startech USB-c enclosure for another $25
very impressed with my speed, I can transfer 30GB in 1 minute. That should future proof me for a while, my old setup would take about 20 minutes to transfer the same size

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
You can also add in a SSD when creating storage spaces in Win10...give the old rotationals a lot more punch, even with just a small SSD.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
SSD prices continue to fall. You can get a 1TB Samsung EVO for $180 or a 500 GB for $99 right now. It is expected to fall another 20% at least in 2019.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
my wife got me this...
Toshiba Portege R930.
Dual core 3rd gen I7-3520M - 2.9 ( 3.6 turbo ).
4 gig ram.
128 gb SSD.
($200)

I'll be upping the ram to the max allowed ( 16 gb ).
I want to take out the optical cd drive, and put a much larger SSD ( 2 tb i hope ) in to it, with this bracket adaptor thingy.

will the new drive be as fast as it could / would be, like if there was another slot for a 2nd HD internally ?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
my wife got me this...
Toshiba Portege R930.
Dual core 3rd gen I7-3520M - 2.9 ( 3.6 turbo ).
4 gig ram.
128 gb SSD.
($200)

I'll be upping the ram to the max allowed ( 16 gb ).
I want to take out the optical cd drive, and put a much larger SSD ( 2 tb i hope ) in to it, with this bracket adaptor thingy.

will the new drive be as fast as it could / would be, like if there was another slot for a 2nd HD internally ?
I am not familiar with the adaptor, but I'd imagine the speed of the HD would be limited by the type of connection for the optical drive. The HD almost certainly uses SATA, while the optical drive probably uses IDE? SATA is a lot faster than IDE.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I am not familiar with the adaptor, but I'd imagine the speed of the HD would be limited by the type of connection for the optical drive. The HD almost certainly uses SATA, while the optical drive probably uses IDE? SATA is a lot faster than IDE.
Its possible, maybe even probable, that the optical is also SATA.

At least for many years my opticals were all SATA in the desktop space. Unsure if this would be different for laptops...