1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

1 terrabyte SSD drives getting cheaper!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alexd, Jan 20, 2016.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

2. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I have a 256GB and it's still alright as the base drive. SSDs are just the best!

3. loopdokter

loopdokter TRIBE Promoter

Night and day difference when I threw one into my desktop. Boot time used to be over 2 minutes (mind you it was a bloated OS in need of a reformat). Now, it's 30 seconds tops!

4. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

Does anyone want to install a SSD into my macbook?

I like to drink fine beers and whiskeys. Im sure you would enjoy them too!

5. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

YEAP

i just upgreaded to the following...

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz w/ Liquid CPU Cooling
    Nvidia GTX 980 4GB Zotac
    16GB DDR3 1666Mhz RAM
    Asus Z97 Mainboard
    240 GB Kingston SSD

i have 2 x 4TB external HD's as my back up and storage via USB 3.

goddamn this machine just hums.

Boot up time is around the 15-20 sec mark.

GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

6. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I've done it several times, you don't need to be a rocket surgeon;)
    However I hear the newer ones (post 2012) are a bit more difficult to install

7. Aaron Bradley

Aaron Bradley TRIBE Promoter

My laptop that has the thin BIOS boots up on 4-6 seconds (desktop) with the SSD I have in there... so damn good!

I have an old Dell D620 (2003) that boots up fast and runs great with SSD. Can't believe what that does to a machine.

:)

8. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya apparently this speed boost will be the most noticeable we will experience in storage.

Moving from a mechanical to even a midrange SSD will have you pretty much maxing the SATA3 bus at like ~500mbps - and this difference over mechanical apparently "feels faster" than the difference between a SATA3 SSD and the new PCI-E solid state drives which can get up to 2000mbps!

9. Aaron Bradley

Aaron Bradley TRIBE Promoter

I haven't researched it and have seen some related threads on here... but what about doing a SAN/NAS with RAID -stripping??? that has to be nuts!

10. loopdokter

Sure, I'd happily due it for the equivalent in beer to a bench fee, or just do a bit of Googling and do it yourself. ;)

It's not that hard. Use Time Machine to back up your old drive to another one and then throw in the new SSD, restore using Time Machine and you're off to the races.

11. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

12. loopdokter

I would chew through that kind of space in no time with my sample libraries.

The day will come. I used to think one terabyte was ridiculous. It isn't. Data is getting larger as storage increases and price decreases.

I yearn for the day everything goes SSD and is cheap enough to be in the terrabytes range without breaking the bank. It's not far off!

13. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

since i'm a very, very cheap man,
    i've resorted to buying another 240GB ssd and RAID 0ing it. Not to gain speed and performance mind you (seriously, there is no reason at this point) but to extend the drive space for my OS drive. If one of the drives fails, it won't be the end of the world. Backups, backups, backups. *kisses NAS*
    All in dollar wise, it was a huge cash saver. I found the exact same drive in my system on ebay for $100 and snatched it up. Worth a thought.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Interesting choice - speed demons aren't using SATA to connect anymore anyway!

Still you probably noticed a speed up on reading, i bet OS loadup time a bit quicker?

15. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I've got a mobo with PCIEx2 only for storage but Im thinking my next drive will be an M2 Sata x4 drive and I'll just use it on my x2 and port it over to the next mainboard I own which I assume, will have x4 and let me take full advantage of the newer interface

16. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

honestly hard to say. my os usually loads up in seconds, if there is an actual difference I seriously can't notice

17. loopdokter

I've got a 240 GB Samsung in my studio machine and it flies upon bootup and loading bigger applications like Cubase, Photoshop, etc.

Anyway, I keep waiting to see when SSDs will come down enough in price in the terrabytes. I recently checked at Canada Computers and a 1 TB drive was $1,200. It kind of boggles my mind that they're still that expensive.

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

19. glych t.anomaly

Started getting back into Photography, and have my 100gb folder of images from the last 10-12 years backed up on two separate external drives.... BUT;

I dont trust that one will fail and the other will be ok, or both dont fail at once etc.

So im looking into NAS solutions using RAID 0, was thinking either 2-4 SSD's totaling 1TB in total.

Then i have redundancy back up in case one fails, none moving optical parts also helps with heat reduction etc.

AND

I would only turn it on when backing up images etc, and/or accessing them , sorting, editing etc.

Thoughts on whether this is over kill, am i being retarded? I know digital files are not ' supposed ' to degrade, but after transferring from one location to another repeatedly after years can take its toll. i am really wanting to property consolidate data in a way i dont have to worry about it.

Ideally i would have 3 separate NAS -

Photos & Images NAS
    Music NAS
    Movies and TV NAS

sigh. or ONE NAS to rule them all. decisions

20. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

throwing SSD's into a NAS would be a waste IMO. You're going to be limited to the 1Gb connection the NAS offers.
    Unless you're flush with cash, one NAS would suit you just fine. Install spinners and RAID 5 or 6 them. It's obviously not 100% redundant as you need to consider the NAS failing (thus killing the RAID array) or 2 or more harddrives failing at the same time (unlikely, but also possible)

As an example, I've had my NAS for about 7 years now. I've replaced all of the harddrives on separate occasions. It's configured in RAID 5. So once one harddrive failed, I could still use it, however to be extra cautious I would turn it off and go through with a swap to be safe. Never lost any data, it still hums along. Except for that one time the PSU blew. THAT was NOT fun to fix. I seriously thought I was boned

21. glych t.anomaly

How many drives in your NAS?

22. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Im using a drobo for the convenience. 5 4TB drives and it uses a similar thing to RAID 5. If a disk goes it goes red and I just replace it and Im good to go.

Everything "just works", which is why drobos are nice. You can get a bit more performance I think if you cobble together a NAS chassis and drives yourself but its a bit more configuration.

23. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

The latest drobos also have an SSD slot that they use for caching - and some that are meant to JUST be used with SSDs as the main array.

So you have a choice of HDD models, HDD+SSD cache and all SSD

24. glych t.anomaly

excellent ! thanks.

25. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

still isn't cheap. You're looking at the cost of another computer, and thats what it is - just a purpose built one.

So you know when I got my drobo it was 599 and added a few 2 TB (max size at a time) and next thing you know i was over a grand taxes and shipping in.

Heck, 5 4TB drives is a grand right there.

So none of this is super cheap, and drobo and NAS chassis generally are a not insignificant price BEFORE you start buying drives to load it with.