• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

1,000 barrels of chemicals leak into St. Clair River

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
1,000 barrels of chemicals leak into St. Clair River
Downstream communities advised to shut down water intake systems

SARNIA, Ont. (CP) — About 250,000 litres of highly volatile chemicals were leaking into the St. Clair River south of Sarnia, Ministry of Environment officials said today.

The leak, from an Imperial Oil plant in the area known as Chemical Valley, was reported around 5:30 this morning.

Downstream communities were advised to shut down their water intake systems, because the chemicals could make their way into the water supply.

The ministry said communities on the U.S. side of the river, which were closer to the spill, would see traces of the chemicals this afternoon but Canadian municipalities likely wouldn't see the effects until tonight.

"Notification came in this morning to us and we were able to notify the authorities to shut down their systems," said MOE spokesman John Steele.

Steele said methyl-ethyl ketone and methyl-isobutyl ketone, the chemicals released into the river, are used in the manufacturing of lubricating oil.

Imperial Oil was not immediately available for comment.

Steele said that while the plume was flowing downriver, the water supplies for communities along the St. Clair were not in immediate danger.

"We are of the view that the intakes have been shut down," said Steele.

"The large systems have a minimum of two days of reservoir time, so there shouldn't be a problem.

"The material itself is flammable, etc., but the temperatures we are experiencing today shouldn't be a problem."

The ministry said it had testers in the area to collect water samples and had launched an investigation into how the spill happened.

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/c...664&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037

skyparty

TRIBE Member
oh way to go sarnia!

considering i live downtown, and i am about a 10 minute walk from the river, this is just fuckin fantastic!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
that's why I was posting it... figured some people might be in the area.

I hear Sarnia's pretty well known for their waste sites...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
I repeat...
LOL

Sarnia has got to be the shittiest city in Ontario.

They're the only fuckers who didn't oppose the garbage convoy into detroit. How screwed up is that?

Most of Toronto's pollution, we can give thanks to Sarnia for. wind-drift carries it over... other places in ontario aside.
They've found chemicals in fish in algonquin park, that only exist (through production) in Sarnia.

mind control

TRIBE Member
If you ask me, i think its pretty convenient these chemical companies "accidently" have a huge chemical spill every so often . I grew up down there and as far back as i can remember there has always been spills and whatnot . I think for these companies it is cheaper to pay a fine to the province for the 'spill' into St. Clair than to pay for the actual disposal . Something to think about .

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

skyparty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract

They've found chemicals in fish in algonquin park, that only exist (through production) in Sarnia.
really? yikes.

the air here is really bad...
and sarnia can get up to being the hottest city in canada when it's scorching because of all the pollution/ and good ol chemical valley. on super hot death days, i always watch the news to hear my city is the most dangerous to be outside in.

and i thought toronto was bad...

but what can i say, this is my hometown and i love it.

but man oh man! when i lived in the south of france i never had a headache ever!!! that air was so FRESH and CRISP i wasn't even EVER sick or anything!!!!

sarnia? hA! one big migraine and a hell of alot of sick people.
lack of doctors [they can't even pay them enough to move here]
and so many old people....

but you know, it IS pretty in alot of areas....

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I'm sure this will be discussed in my PR class tomorrow - the instructor is Suncor's PR guy for the Toronto office.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
It makes logical sense...
No, it makes economical sense.. logic has NOTHING to do with it.

but there are fines to pay for that kind of stupidity.
As KickIT has already stated, the cost of properly disposing of waste usually far outweighs the potential fines. Studies have shown this time & time again. You can easily calculate, from a business perspective whether or not it's more profitable to absorb the fine, or pay the waste disposal fees.

badkitty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
Today, fines = cost of doing business.

that's it. couldn't be truer.

the companies pay a price to pollute, albeit a much smaller price than they would have to pay to change the way they manufacture by polluting substantially less or at all.

it's high time for some environmental economics to come into play here and factor in the costs that are incurred on the environment, then follow-up by having those costs reflected in the prices of the goods.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
The besuty of chemical engineering is that you get paid twice. Once to foul everything up, and again to clean it up.

Other than the awful stink, this isn't Chernobyl or the Valdez.