• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Âme @ 99 Sudbury, aka Shortest Party Ever

alison87

TRIBE Member
Yeah i'm writing an event review at 4am. Because i can. When i saw there was going to be another BOK/Mansion tag-team event i booked a ticket straight off the bat. Although i only know one song by Âme, the BOK guys have been growing on me and i enjoy each party more than the last. Come Thursday i realized it was a Friday night gig and not Saturday. Usually a struggle, but even more so after rolling home from after-work drinks around 10. I debated whether to just forget it, and finally called a cab around 12. By the time i got through security Hali had just finished and Âme was building up.

Which is kinda what he did for his whole set. Some parts of it were unexpectedly tech-y. Really nice arpeggiated synth lines, octave up, octave down, tweak some knobs, drop the kick a bit early or late, all the raw live stuff i rarely hear here. Sadly for me he suffered from the usual proggy syndrome of having some cool synth riffs and then dropping back to swirly pads or vocals for the chorus. I can manage that when it's deep house (the black kind), or maybe at 5 in the morning, but to walk into it like that was rough.

I was mentally prepared for the Mansion crowd; talking, texting and shoving their way across the dancefloor. That helped, because it didn't bother me near as much as it has in the past. I found a nice spot next to the speaker (which i needed to given the sound was so shit everywhere else) and danced right up until Rej. Which, by the way, was fucking awesome to hear live. He did some long bubbly attacks on the synth riff to keep it interesting, and hearing it in a much less polished context than the original was sick. Until he dropped into a 3 minute ethereal vocal breakdown. I stayed till the beat came back just in case he was teasing, but no, it was smoke time. After that he couldn't capture me any more, and he closed with some annoying morning track that was really big last year. Too bad he's gone the vocal/pretty route and didn't stick with the synths. Oh well. People really seemed to dig it.

Mike Gibbs saved my night with some funky house. One track edged toward that bassline house that Toronto loves so much (i don't really), but one was a fucking ridiculously good straight-up jacking percussive number. Fabio was next with some more straight-ahead tech-house, more on the Drumcode (can't believe i'm typing that) tip than Sneak or Comfort Zone Style™. He also played Rodriguez Jr - Ocean Drive, which is such a nice song. And then the fucking lights turned on. THE FUCK. Like, i had been there all of 2 hours. After a $25 cab fare, $20 ticket and now $25 home that's officially the shortest and most expensive party i've been to that wasn't shut down by cops. If i'd known i would've come straight from the pub, handbag be damned. Very unimpressed.

Maybe this is a normal thing at 99 Sudbury. There are a bunch of condos all around it. But fuck condo people. You fly a big-name mellow/prog DJ in from Berlin, and then bill him at 1 when most people are just getting started? Argh. And then to just slam lights on at 3 with no warning or subtlety? Fortunately we got one bonus song, and that was a probably the highlight - seeing the "hard core" who made it all the way to the bitter end dance with peak-time energy. What an odd party. Ah well. Roll on next week. I'll probably fall in a heap by 2 if i go to Sunnyside as well.

Fuck, it almost took me longer to write this than i was there for.

Last edited:

alison87

TRIBE Member
I should add in the light of day, that i'm sure it was a sick party and i only have myself to blame for not getting my ass there sooner. None of the line-up or coat-check problems of previous Mansion gigs. I'm not sure how much of the decor is standard in the venue, but it looked nice, and although the sound was shit during Âme's set, i had to put my earplugs in for the BOK boys, so i'm thinking it was more a technical issue than the sound system itself. Though it still sucks they had to close so early, and that they didn't make it clear anywhere on the Facebook invite when it would be done.

sam

TRIBE Member
Though it still sucks they had to close so early, and that they didn't make it clear anywhere on the Facebook invite when it would be done.
The first line on the invite info on FB was:

Friday, 31 May 2013 22:00 until 03:00 :)

Fun party. Had to work the next day so didn't mind the 3am finish at all!!

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I had a good time. It was nice to hear Hali again. We left pretty much right after Ame ended.

I hadn't been to 99 Sudbury since the renos. Much brighter inside now than I remember!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alison87

TRIBE Member
Aw fuck who looks at the standard Facebook header for an event? If it's not under 27 lines of proportional-width ASCII art it might as well be a banner ad. My wetware Privoxy blocks that shit.

Damnit.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
was there earlier this year for a wedding - which was great - but I remember thinking if these walls could talk nobody would ever choose to get married here again

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
I thought the hybrid/reinforced AlienInFlux and 40hz soundsystems sounded good together actually.

Believe me, we didn't like it either when we were told to shut it down at 3am. It was a venue restriction thing. Sorry you couldn't get your boogie on for longer.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dig this

TRIBE Member
was there earlier this year for a wedding - which was great - but I remember thinking if these walls could talk nobody would ever choose to get married here again
I went many times to 99 Sudbury when it was an after-hours, and got married in the lounge area (the old Mildred Pierce) earlier this year. Good times all around!

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
After a $25 cab fare, $20 ticket and now $25 home that's officially the shortest and most expensive party i've been to
I got in a car that drove for 5 hours to Beach Club in Quebec. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I arrived at noon and went in. Some cold weather blew in and made the party miserable. At 1:30 pm I got in a $100 taxi to get to a motel in the middle of nowhere. The next morning I got in another $100 taxi to get me to Montreal for a 6 hour bus ride home. Now THAT was a waste of time and money (except the motel party was a blast).

alison87

TRIBE Member
See but that's SO bad at least you have a funny story to tell, whereas i'm just an idiot who can't use the Facebooks :)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders