TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Rogers implementing bandwidth caps

Old 05-08-2002, 09:46 PM   #1

Rogers implementing bandwidth caps

Rogers has decided to implement bandwidth caps, and not a transfer speed cap as someone else posted... I had a feeling that this was coming, since bell announced their bandwidth caps...

Quote:
Rogers to offer multi-tier Internet

'Byte caps' to be in place this summer
Rachel Ross
Technology Reporter

Unlimited high-speed Internet access may be a thing of the past.

Following Bell Canada's lead, Rogers Cable Inc. plans to charge their Internet customers based on the amount of data they download and upload.

Alek Krstajic, Rogers' senior vice-president of sales and marketing, said he expects to introduce bandwidth limits, or "byte caps", this summer.

"What we're looking to do is to use the byte cap to modify the behaviour of that upper few per cent that are really using a lot of bandwidth," said Krstajic.

He said such limits are necessary "to give a fair service to the vast majority of customers" by stopping a small percentage of people who "hog" all of the bandwidth. He said the new packages would be similar to those offered by Bell.

Bell Canada's new three-tiered system was officially announced earlier this week. Bell's standard high-speed service will remain, but the company will also offer a "basic" and "ultra" package starting next month. Sympatico's basic service, to cost $29.95 a month, will allow for a maximum of one gigabyte each for uploaded and downloaded content.

For $69.99, users can sign up for Sympatico ultra, which has download speeds of up to 3 megabits (3 million bits of data) per second and upload rates of 640 kilobits per second. Ultra users will have a 10-gigabyte cap each on uploads and downloads.

If customers exceed their limit, they'll be charged an extra 79 cents per 100 megabytes of data.

Krstajic wouldn't give specific prices for Rogers' proposed packages, but he did say that Rogers' equivalent to Bell's ultra package might be priced slightly lower, "between $59.95 and $69.95."

Darryl Burke, a Rogers customer from Newmarket, is concerned there won't be any way to contest his bill if the company charges him for downloads he doesn't think he's made.

"If I disagree with their charges at the end of the month, it would be very hard to show that I didn't generate the traffic," said Burke.

Burke said that once downloads and uploads are monitored, people will be surprised at the traffic generated by programs that automatically retrieve their own upgrades.

Burke isn't alone in his concern about limiting downloads. More than 3,200 people signed an online petition that opposes the limits.
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1020809092772

this sucks... thinking of changing over to look high speed once it's available...
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

That sucks left nut. I got a call today from my cable company, and they told me that they will have a 2gig cap, while we were using something like 50gig last month. Is there an unlimited alternative?

marc..
MARCin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 12:40 AM   #3
TRIBE Member

this fucking blows. they said they would not do a bandwidth cap and now they are.

can't anyone keep to their word these days?
vinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 01:43 AM   #4
TRIBE Member

I would be curious to see if there's any truth when they say that the "hogs" are making the other users suffer. that sounds like a load of bull to me.

I think bell, rogers and such are well aware of the explosion of file sharing and it's a way for them to make a lot more money. And it sucks because it seems like our alternatives are dwindling, and they were few to begin with.

I've read elsewhere however, that this bit capping is already going on in other places like montreal, australia and new zealand. some are already in place and some are happening around the same time bell and rogers is doing theirs. I wonder what's up with this worldwide agreement to screw us.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 01:48 AM   #5
TRIBE Member

just had another thought - this whole idea of bit-capping and charging premium services is detrimental to the future of the internet. nevermind file sharing, but eventually when bandwidth speeds explode, we have a new medium which can carry an unprecedented level of user-controlled content, like streaming audio, video, whatever. because these companies are charging premiums now, it's sending a message that the future of the internet can only be properly delivered to those with premium subscriptions - something which goes against everything the original intent of what the internet is supposed to be - freedom to exchange information.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:35 AM   #6
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vinder

can't anyone keep to their word these days?
$$$

Bandwidth is not cheap.
Balzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:00 AM   #7
TRIBE Member

1 Gig? Fuck, I did that last night. So what, in a normal month I would have one day of downloading and 29 days of nothing....

not quite worth $30, and I'm not paying $70 a month for service.
defazman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:09 AM   #8
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by atomic
something which goes against everything the original intent of what the internet is supposed to be - freedom to exchange information.
Sorry, the original intent of the Internet was strictly for official business.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:02 AM   #9
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Balzz

Sorry, the original intent of the Internet was strictly for official business.
actually it was developed by the army and was intended to be used as an information exchange for intelligence.... there's nothing intelligent about the internet these days

Kyfe
kyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:17 AM   #10
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by atomic
something which goes against everything the original intent of what the internet is supposed to be - freedom to exchange information.
Didn't Bob Dole say that he invented the internet?

Pete
Subsonic Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by kyfe

actually it was developed by the army and was intended to be used as an information exchange for intelligence.... there's nothing intelligent about the internet these days

Kyfe
actually, it was a US Air Force Project to develop a decentralized network that would allow for communication to be maintained in the event of a nuclear war.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:33 AM   #12
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosey

actually, it was a US Air Force Project to develop a decentralized network that would allow for communication to be maintained in the event of a nuclear war.
Picky picky picky

Kyfe
kyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:35 AM   #13
TRIBE Member

crack rogers

p[l]a+0
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:39 AM   #14

i don't like the caps, but you know what - you get what you pay for.....i like the separation of packages for hard core types as opposed to more casual surfers.

MY ONLY BEEF IS - THE SERVICE BETTER BE IMPECCABLE !!!!!!!!
tommysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by tommysmalls
MY ONLY BEEF IS - THE SERVICE BETTER BE IMPECCABLE !!!!!!!!
this is Rogers we're talking about, you'll be lucky if it even works... after almost a year, they're still fucking up on my billing... how hard is it to have my rogers cable and rogers high speed ON THE SAME BILL...
Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:04 AM   #16
TRIBE Member

Quote:

ARPANET was spearheaded by the Department of Defense, not the Air Force. ARPA was primarily research oriented. Sounds like a contradiction doesn't it?

Last edited by Balzz; 05-09-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #17
TRIBE Member

Location: Nine Ninety Nine! The number of ho's Herman got on the side!
Quote:
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic

Pete
Actually it was Al Gore, though what he actually said was miscontrued by the press corps.
kerouacdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #18
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Subsonic Chronic

Pete
Al Gore. Although, what he meant was that he was part of the group that mandated the migration of government agencies from CLNP to TCP/IP.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #19
TRIBE Member

yeah, I guess I should have chosen better words than 'the original intent'.

I'm just grumpy now because this is going to have an adverse effect on all the dreamcast games I'm downloading now.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:29 AM   #20
TRIBE Member

This fucking sucks.

Just when I was ready to break the ties from Sympatico, this happens.

Oh well, customer service at Rogers can't possibly be any worse than at Bell.

Are there any high speed alternatives? I wonder if this is going to fuel the wireless industry at all....or speed things along anyways..
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #21
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Wrong.

"Bob Taylor, the director of a corporate research facility in Silicon Valley, had come to the party for old times sake, but he was also on a personal mission to correct some inaccuracies. Rumours had persisted for years that ARPANET had been built to protect national security in the face of a nuclear attack. It was a myth that had gone unchallenged long enough to become widely accepted as fact.

... The project had embodied the most peaceful intentions - to link computers at scientific laboratories across the country so that researchers might share computer resources."

Where Wizards Stay Up late

I read this book back when it came out in 1998 and it provided a lot of insight since it has material from people who originally worked on the project and were behind the invention/setup of Arpanet and it's expansion. Most of it is an interesting read but there is a lot of technical stuff there too in case you have insomnia and want a quick remedy.
Swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #22
TRIBE Member

Worst news I've heard all week. I do a couple gigs every day , letalone a month.

The line about this being to improve service quality for the majority of users is total BS and just a cover for the fact that they want to make more money off broadband usage, file sharing programs, etc. Most of the file trading junkies I know set up most of their xfers over night and not at peak hours anyways. Why not improve the quality of the existing network infrastructure instead of looking to get more money out of the existing junk they're offering us?

Bandwidth capping seems to be the trend all over the world, however. Most people have had to bend over and take it in the states. I'm hoping that a third party will come out with a non capped broad band service so people don't have to pick between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of ISP's. This elite level service they plan on offering in Sept 2002 better be damned good.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:35 PM   #23
TRIBE Member

Damn this pisses me off...

DAMN CAPITALIST PIGS

I'm not a web hog, I just know how to use a computer to it's full potential, why should I be punished for this.

Meh...
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:50 PM   #24
TRIBE Member

this is what happens when competition is virtually non-existent.
two companies isn't enough.
Bass-Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 06:52 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

There cannot be competition, essentially, Bell owns the Phone Lines and Rogers owns the Cable...

MONOPOLY

Bastards

CRTC, are you not here to save us?
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote