TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Do aquariums use a lot of electricity?

Old 03-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
TRIBE Member

Do aquariums use a lot of electricity?

For shits sakes, we just got a hydro bill of 400 GOD DIDDLY DAMN DOLLARS for the last two months. We have a modest-sized 3-bedroom apartment with central air (albeit electricity-based) and no insulation problems. We keep our thermostat around 17.5C. So where the hell did the $400 come from?

The only thing I can think of is my roommate's aquarium. I don't know exactly how many gallons it is but after some simple calcs, I think it's around 35 gallons. He keeps the temperature around 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

So who else owns an aquarium, and do you find it adds much to your hydro bills?

Fuck, we have to figure this shit out. We can't afford $400. Damon and I are going take up residence under the Gardner.
DJ Doublecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #2
TRIBE Member

Re: Do aquariums use a lot of electricity?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Doublecross
For shits sakes, we just got a hydro bill of 400 GOD DIDDLY DAMN DOLLARS for the last two months. We have a modest-sized 3-bedroom apartment with central air (albeit electricity-based) and no insulation problems. We keep our thermostat around 17.5C. So where the hell did the $400 come from?

The only thing I can think of is my roommate's aquarium. I don't know exactly how many gallons it is but after some simple calcs, I think it's around 35 gallons. He keeps the temperature around 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

So who else owns an aquarium, and do you find it adds much to your hydro bills?

Fuck, we have to figure this shit out. We can't afford $400. Damon and I are going take up residence under the Gardner.
Nah, they don't use much power.

Lights- most likely 40W
Heater for a tank that size- probably no more than 100W, and only running part of the time
Filter- not sure, but around 50W

So you're looking at roughly 200W, so even if everything is running continuously for a month:

0.2kW*24hours*31days*$0.043= $6.39 for the month.

Got an electric dryer? Space heater?
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
TRIBE Member

I don't know about aquariums but aquarius do!
Agatka8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
TRIBE Member

Electricity for heat, hot water and washer/dryer/dishwashers even (if they're old) are big users.

Aquarium stuff would be negligible.
daddyiwantchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
TRIBE Member

Hmm, must be something else then.

We live in a high-rise apartment building so I don't think we pay for hot water. That would come from the boiler rooms I'm assuming.

We don't have a washer/dryer or any space heaters, although we do have a dishwasher. Our dishwasher actually broke a couple months ago and a couple times it has been stuck on the "on" position for up to 8 hours when we were out of the apartment. We got the building maintenance guy to look at it but he didn't have the right part to fix it completely. So we could ask our building to help pay for our hydro bill since our broken dishwasher has certainly contributed to some of it. But $400? Still seems ludicrous, we rarely even use our dishwasher.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
TRIBE Member

Quote:

We live in a high-rise apartment building so I don't think we pay for hot water. That would come from the boiler rooms I'm assuming.

So what kind of heat do you have? Half the high rises I've been in had electric heat.
Ditto Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 AM   #7
zoo
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Our dishwasher actually broke a couple months ago and a couple times it has been stuck on the "on" position for up to 8 hours when we were out of the apartment. ...

But $400? Still seems ludicrous, we rarely even use our dishwasher.
fo sheez, unfortunately

see if your landlord / super will do something about it since they are responsible for the proper operation of it ..
zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
TRIBE Member

That sounds about right for winter to me - electric heat = EXPENSIVE.
R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
TRIBE Member

maybe it's your electric dildo collage
mr tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
TRIBE Member

I think we do have electric heating, but it's not baseboard heating. There's a big clunkin' unit in one of the bedrooms that distributes both heating and air conditioning to the other rooms via vents along the back wall of each room. It's connected to the thermostat in our living room and is set to "Auto" so it only comes on as needed to maintain the temperature we've set. Our thermostat is set to around 17.5C, although the actual temperature of the apt usually reads around 20-21C. So maybe our thermostat isn't working properly?

Either way, the same unit is used for air conditioning, and even in July-August, our bill was less than half of what it is now. It doesn't seem right that heating would cost more than twice the amount of air conditioning.

Even Toronto Hydro agreed that the bill seems unusually high, but they can't do anything since it is an actual reading. We have to convince our building to help front the bill somehow.

Blah. I needed this money for so many other things.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
TRIBE Member

Turn off the grow lights dude...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
TRIBE Member

could be the heater. could also be computers if you have more than one and keep them on all day?
vinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #13
zoo
TRIBE Member

computers don't use that much power, 300w power supply = 3 light bulbs = not much

if you do indeed have an electric heater that is probably hurting you too, although unless you have terrible insulation it shouldn't really cost quite that much since it's relatively cheaper to heat an apt in a highrise than a detached house
Old 03-10-2005, 11:40 AM   #14
TRIBE Member

We have 3 computers but I've always heard they don't use that much power.

Insulation could be another factor. The walls here are really thick concrete (we've never heard our neighbours once), however, one entire wall of each room is a giant window. The windows have two layers, which should be good, but on cold days most of them accumulate frost on them, which is an indication that they have leaks in them. However, that has happened to my parents before and the contractor said the only real way to fix it is to replace the window. That would be extremely costly so I doubt our building would want to do that, but maybe we can argue that because the windows are old and don't do their job properly, it's not our fault that our heating bill is so high?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #15
TRIBE Member

Quote:
We have 3 computers but I've always heard they don't use that much power.

Insulation could be another factor. The walls here are really thick concrete (we've never heard our neighbours once), however, one entire wall of each room is a giant window. The windows have two layers, which should be good, but on cold days most of them accumulate frost on them, which is an indication that they have leaks in them. However, that has happened to my parents before and the contractor said the only real way to fix it is to replace the window. That would be extremely costly so I doubt our building would want to do that, but maybe we can argue that because the windows are old and don't do their job properly, it's not our fault that our heating bill is so high?
Is this your first winter there? What were the bill like last year if not?

Maybe next year try putting that plastic stuff over the windows?
Old 03-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #16
zoo
TRIBE Member

^^ good advice, i used the 'plastic window stuff' (like saran wrap only you tape&blowdry it to fit) and it kept my room much warmer
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #17
TRIBE Member

Rob - we have the same problem in our building as far as leaks in the window seals. Our hydro is in our condo fees, so it's not as big of an issue for us. But the poperty manager said that it should have too much effect on things (althought that could just be him not wanting to pay for it).
R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #18
TRIBE Member

My friends window seals are gone... I was over in January and you could see the heat escaping in waves out the window.. they complained to the landlord... nothing was done... my friend gets the hydro bill in February and nearly has a heart attack... $750 for one month! (electic heat, poor windows.. and of course the heater is always right under the window... why do they do this?)
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

It's the electric heat Rob.

We are in pretty much the same situation as you guys. Same setup and whatnot.

Winter is truely a bitch on Hydro if you're using electric.
silver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #20
TRIBE Member

Location: I diggedy dot my i's, and cross my tiggedy-t's, bro
We have an HVAC (Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning), same as you, and our bill was 91$ for the past two months. Mind you our place is probably smaller than yours, but my bet is your place is poorly insulated and the heat is on constantly trying to maintain 17.5 degrees. The shrink wrap on the windows thing does work.

Our last place every single window was leaky and one winter we got a $700 dollar bill! Hydro said the meter reading was correct so I couldn't do anything about it....
jmaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #21
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky1
My friends window seals are gone... I was over in January and you could see the heat escaping in waves out the window.. they complained to the landlord... nothing was done... my friend gets the hydro bill in February and nearly has a heart attack... $750 for one month! (electic heat, poor windows.. and of course the heater is always right under the window... why do they do this?)
The rads are under the window 'cause that's where it's cold! In theory, it works well... but when you don't have good windows it doesn't work out quite that way.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #22

First things first, you should really cut down on your use of this Rob.

Stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote