TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

the movie thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #1276
UR

Corpse Bride was a good flick. I enjoyed it anyways.
UR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 PM   #1277
TRIBE Member

Re: omgomgomg

Quote:
Originally posted by voytek
like, Lady Vengeance, while not being the best out of the Park's trilogy of vendetta, was so fucking goooooood. Low points for dragging out the ending a little, but what an ending it was! I laughed so hard at the shot of the families sitting in queue - brilliant! Good story, beautifully filmed, very well acted and the soundtrack was killer too - though I recognize it from some other film.

7 thumbs up. If you liked Oldboy, see this. And make sure you catch Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - the first of the three, and my favourite.
Glad you liked it. I think it's the most re-watchable in the series. The slow parts actually have a few things in it that they convey more than just dead moments on film. While it isn't the tour de force that Oldboy is, that's probably because the source isn't from a Manga.

I found a place that has copies for sale come next week So happy.
el presidente Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #1278
TRIBE Member

Re: omgomgomg

Quote:

Constant Gardener - I was 2 for 2 last night. Excellent story with compelling subject matter - Africa + Pharmaceutical Corporations = Fun for all. I especially liked the ending message. Very eloquently stated, without much grandstanding. I loved the tension throughout the whole thing - it did not let up even in the most serene parts of the film - well done. All in all top 10 this year for sure.

BRB.
this will make my sick night in a little better.
terrawrist III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:46 AM   #1279
TRIBE Member

Re: Re: omgomgomg

or it might make you sicker

Quote:
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Glad you liked it. I think it's the most re-watchable in the series. The slow parts actually have a few things in it that they convey more than just dead moments on film. While it isn't the tour de force that Oldboy is, that's probably because the source isn't from a Manga.

I found a place that has copies for sale come next week So happy.
There is a whole lot of Korean films on torrents, and living in Korea, I see a shitload of excellent trailers on TV for Korean Gangsta Dramas (tm)... But I don't know where to start and I don't want to waste my time or bandwidth on guessing. Do you perhaps have a list of titles for that specific genre? Something where people are dying a lot for hot Korean femme fatales or something like that? Brutal violence would be a bonus...
voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:51 AM   #1280
TRIBE Member

check out moo goo lai pan the enforcer of death
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:45 AM   #1281
TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Re: omgomgomg

Quote:
or it might make you sicker

There is a whole lot of Korean films on torrents, and living in Korea, I see a shitload of excellent trailers on TV for Korean Gangsta Dramas (tm)... But I don't know where to start and I don't want to waste my time or bandwidth on guessing. Do you perhaps have a list of titles for that specific genre? Something where people are dying a lot for hot Korean femme fatales or something like that? Brutal violence would be a bonus...
Gangster Dramas are an aspect of Korean cinema that really hasn't made a huge impact overseas quite as much as a single genre. The current Korean craze reflects the whole cinema in general, with a bit of a bias towards their Horror movies being exhibited probably because North America is still riding the whole Asian Horror thing into the ground (and headed straight towards the earth's core). The Gangster genre is still being dominated by the Chinese and Japanese because of the operatic overtones their films contain for the Chinese films, or the duty and honour themes that the Japanese pioneered. Korea is still finding its voice I find for gangster films, and still has North/South and reunification themes dominating most of their films.

To answer your question though, I'd recommend A Bittersweet Life which was directed by the guy who did Tale of Two Sisters. It's pretty good and not what I expected at all.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:03 AM   #1282
TRIBE Member

Dead or Alive is gangster themed, has brutal violence, a scene involving a kids swimming pool you'll never forget, and an ending thats ummmm.. unique...

Check it out
Dr. Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:23 AM   #1283
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
Dead or Alive is gangster themed, has brutal violence, a scene involving a kids swimming pool you'll never forget, and an ending thats ummmm.. unique...

Check it out
Yeah, but it's not Korean. Great film by Miike though.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:57 AM   #1284
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Check it out
I especially like the extreme beach volleyball scene.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #1285
TRIBE Member

Romper Stomper still kicks ass.

Hadn't watched it in a few years and i forgot how enjoyable it is.

Always had an affinity for raw, Aussie Indie movies. And Russell Crowe is superb in it.
rentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #1286
TRIBE Member

Yo Chris, have you seen Oliver Assayas' 'Demonlover'?
Spinsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #1287
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinsah
Yo Chris, have you seen Oliver Assayas' 'Demonlover'?
no...what's it about?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #1288
TRIBE Member

Briefly encapsulated it's a mulitnational art-house corporate espionage thriller with the high-tech poronography market at the core of the narrative. It's really like nothing I've ever seen. Sonic Youth does the score.

Chole Sevigny, Connie Nelson and Gina Girshon all deliver great performances. It's got a shades of Lynch, Cronenberg all crafted with a undeniably French hand. It had the Cannes audiences booing and hissing when it debuted a few years back, which I think is aces.

I'm sure you'd find it as brilliantly flawed as I did.

http://www.palmpictures.com/videos/demonlover.html
Spinsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #1289
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Briefly encapsulated it's a mulitnational art-house corporate espionage thriller with the high-tech poronography market at the core of the narrative. It's really like nothing I've ever seen. Sonic Youth does the score.

Chole Sevigny, Connie Nelson and Gina Girshon all deliver great performances. It's got a shades of Lynch, Cronenberg all crafted with a undeniably French hand. It had the Cannes audiences booing and hissing when it debuted a few years back, which I think is aces.

thanks, i'll be sure to rent it
Old 01-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #1290
TRIBE Promoter

I saw Harry Potter today because well when you've seen the previous ones in the theatre you might as well see them all & I don't know too much of the HP scoop but I do hope it's the last one. It was so upsetting that I payed 19$ for us to see it. It would have been kind of okay if it wasn't for the extra coming-of-age shit. Harry Potter was good when it stuck to the children's fantasy game. Meh. I wanted to leave the theatre at so many points but couldn't justify wasting money. I so should have went to see Water. I saw Chronicles of Narnia a few days ago too, liked that much better than HP surprisingly.

Life & Debt is on my asap to-see list. I've heard amazing things about this doc.

Ellie parker also seems to totally speak to my sentiment.
miss riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #1291
TRIBE Member

i am probably the only one who is very excited to see this:

check out the trailer at: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/ice_age_2/
Soulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #1292
TRIBE Member

Quote:

love the way it was shot...really great cat fight too
Old 01-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #1293

Quote:

Flawed being definately the key word here. I wanted to like this film but I don't feel that it was able to deliver.
shylock_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #1294
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rentboy
Romper Stomper still kicks ass.

Hadn't watched it in a few years and i forgot how enjoyable it is.

Always had an affinity for raw, Aussie Indie movies. And Russell Crowe is superb in it.
Try Alexandra's Project on for size then.
Dr. Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #1295
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Soulster
i am probably the only one who is very excited to see this:

check out the trailer at: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/ice_age_2/

Im excited for it too... The original is such a clever movie (I am a sucker for cartoons...)

In other news....
The Transporter 2 is coming out on DVD on January 10...
Can you say double Transporter time?!?!
MissBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #1296
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Try Alexandra's Project on for size then.
thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check it
Old 01-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #1297
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miss riot
I saw Harry Potter today because well when you've seen the previous ones in the theatre you might as well see them all & I don't know too much of the HP scoop but I do hope it's the last one. It was so upsetting that I payed 19$ for us to see it. It would have been kind of okay if it wasn't for the extra coming-of-age shit. Harry Potter was good when it stuck to the children's fantasy game. Meh. I wanted to leave the theatre at so many points but couldn't justify wasting money. I so should have went to see Water. I saw Chronicles of Narnia a few days ago too, liked that much better than HP surprisingly.
Wow... I loved the Goblet of Fire movie. I had heard mixed reviews before I finally saw it last week and totally loved it. I was so excited when it started and enjoyed the whole thing.
I found it much better than the Prisoner of Azkaban movie.
Tins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:14 PM   #1298
TRIBE Member

recently watched the constant gardener and hustle and flow...both absolutely amazing and worthy of the attention they're getting...both also make the best of the year list
Old 01-05-2006, 05:46 PM   #1299
TRIBE Member

If anyone has yet to see the genius that is "The 40 Year Old Virgin"...go rent it right now, its theFUNNIEST SHIT EVER!!!!
mitsuko souma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #1300
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally posted by Tins
Wow... I loved the Goblet of Fire movie. I had heard mixed reviews before I finally saw it last week and totally loved it. I was so excited when it started and enjoyed the whole thing.
I found it much better than the Prisoner of Azkaban movie.

Didn't you find the coming-of-age dance sequence and the Hermione breakdown over how "boys just don't understand !" *cue crying and smudged makeup* to be obscenely gratuitous?
miss riot is offline   Reply With Quote