TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

the movie thread

Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #8201
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
If anyone has a link to a torrent of Monsieur Lazhar, that would be swell!
Checked it out at the Lightbox (i need to go there more often) last night. It's a lovely wee film that handles a delicate subject without contrivance or emotional manipulation.

The kids are fantastic. I'm always taken aback when a kid hammers out a heavy scene. The main girl and boy pulled off convincing scenes that'd shame most adult actors.

Last edited by rentboy; 03-15-2012 at 02:09 PM.
rentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #8202
TRIBE Member

I saw Cabin in the Woods tonight! IT'S A MUST WATCH!! It was so campy, and the dialogue was just so hilarious! I was laughing my freaking ass off through the entire movie! I LOVED IT! The trailer doesnt' even do it justice.. seriously. I can't really tell anyone what it's about without ruining the movie. I am so buying this. It was also cool bc the director, Drew Goddard, introduced the film, and he was available afterwards for a Q&A and stuck around for photos/autographs. Collin Geddes was in the audience as well, he wanted to bring this movie to TIFF Midnight Madness.. It just played at SXSW and did very well there as well.. seriously.. April 13th! GO SEE IT!
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #8203
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
Checked it out at the Lightbox (i need to go there more often) last night. It's a lovely wee film that handles a delicate subject without contrivance or emotional manipulation.

The kids are fantastic. I'm always taken aback when a kid hammers out a heavy scene. The main girl and boy pulled off convincing scenes that'd shame most adult actors.
Lightbox IS a pleasure: the screens are so crisp somehow, and you're spared that barrage of melded advertising that you get at a cineplex/odeon/paramout/whateverthehell.

That movie was so tastefully done: never any big emotional scenes, never any telegraphing with music: it assumed the audience was intelligent, such a nice change.
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #8204
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika View Post
Lightbox IS a pleasure: the screens are so crisp somehow, and you're spared that barrage of melded advertising that you get at a cineplex/odeon/paramout/whateverthehell.
Also the audio on their films is not ear-splittingly loud which gives them a solid 10/10 from me.
workdowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #8205
TRIBE Member

new Prometheus trailer.

Video: Prometheus (From The Director Of 'Alien' & 'Blade Runner") [Movie Trailer]
ndrwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #8206
TRIBE editor

When is Prometheus going to be in theaters?
alexd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #8207
TRIBE Member

June 8th

Saw 21 Jump Street and really enjoyed it. It's extremely tongue in cheek and mocks the source material endlessly, but it still has a lot of fun with the cheesiness of the original show. Priceless cameo by Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise and Channing Tatum has really, really good comedic timing. Ice Cube is a blast making fun of the angry, black police Captain, with a fun little nod to his N.W.A. days.

Korean Jesus is watching.
el presidente Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #8208
TRIBE Member

Prometheus & the Hobbit are the two movies I can't wait to see.
djfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #8209
TRIBE Member

6 years too late but Last King of Scotland was fucking fantastic.
MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #8210
TRIBE Member

Almodovar's The Skin I Live In was creepy.
rentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #8211
TRIBE Promoter

Ol' Dirty Bastard movie to star 'Boardwalk Empire' actor Michael K. Williams | Inside Movies | EW.com
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:40 AM   #8212
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuko souma View Post
Hannibal Rising is fantastic. I knew I stayed up for a reason. Fuck you monday
I just wish they closed it with Hannibal singing "Running back to Saskatoon".
tripleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #8213
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
If anyone has a link to a torrent of Monsieur Lazhar, that would be swell!
same crew did a movie called Les Incendies, couple years back, wow, its a super messed up movie (like 9.5/10 messed up), but definetly worth a watch
wakipaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #8214
TRIBE Member

Hanna.
brilliant soundtrack. really well shot.
part 2 ?
ndrwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #8215
TRIBE Member

Just watched tucker and dale vs.evil. Can't remember laughing so hard over a movie. Gezuz. Well done
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #8216
TRIBE Member

^^ ya, good flick... got around to watchin' Animal Kingdom - tight!
voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #8217
TRIBE Promoter

Watched Man on Wire and Once

Both were VERY good watches. I've been wanting to see Man on Wire for a while, and just never got to it. This thread reminded me. This was a great documentary told like a story, by a larger-then-life flamboyant high-wire performer. Loved every minute of it, and it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Once was an amazing story. The soundtrack was one of the best movie sound tracks i've ever heard, especially in the folk rock category. This was a romantic story unlike anything i've ever seen. The chemistry between the two main actors was intense - and
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #8218
TRIBE Member

The Sitter - meh, awkward, all the way to the end, skip it...

The Descendants - watchable, though nothing special. the daughter was good.

Midnight in Paris - not bad, I'll be with Woody till the end, but not sure what the hoopla around it was all about...

J.Edgar - a lot could have been done here to make it more appealing, but Eastwood went with the relationship angle - cool, i get it, still liked it - could have been better with a bit more action though.

The Way Back - Wow, like watching Nat Geo, beautifully shot... cool story, awkward dialogue, worth a watch but not required reading...

The Rum Diary - Hells yeah, anything Thompson+Depp=Winnings.

Puss in Boots - fun, gotta be the most innuendo-loaded cartoon to date, hence fun.

so much more to see...
voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #8219
TRIBE Member

Location: there are no remainders in the mathematics of infinty
Quote:
Originally Posted by el presidente Highsteppa View Post
June 8th

Saw 21 Jump Street and really enjoyed it. It's extremely tongue in cheek and mocks the source material endlessly, but it still has a lot of fun with the cheesiness of the original show. Priceless cameo by Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise and Channing Tatum has really, really good comedic timing. Ice Cube is a blast making fun of the angry, black police Captain, with a fun little nod to his N.W.A. days.

Korean Jesus is watching.
wasn't expecting this to be funny but saw it anyways. Man was I wrong. it was hysterical. I love how they poked fun at the action cliches. JD cameo was the perfect way a cameo should be done.

The friend I sawit with was raised in a super religious christian family....laughing at him laughing at korean jesus...priceless

stew
stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #8220
TRIBE Member

I finally tracked down a good copy of "Le Moine" (The Monk) with Vincent Cassel. I'd been a huge fan of the book since university so I was anxious to see this.

While the acting and the cinematography were good, I was hugely disappointed with missing plot points and an anti-climactic ending (compared to the book, anyway.) If French and Spanish cinema can't handle the depravity of the story, there's pretty much no chance we'll ever get to see a proper adaptation. Booo. It's too bad too, because the book is up there in depravity with the likes of Stoker's 'Dracula' and Shelley's 'Frankenstein'. If not worse.

Atheists would love its criticism of the church and religious failure, written by a disgruntled closet homosexual.
Boss Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #8221
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Watched Man on Wire and Once

Both were VERY good watches. I've been wanting to see Man on Wire for a while, and just never got to it. This thread reminded me. This was a great documentary told like a story, by a larger-then-life flamboyant high-wire performer. Loved every minute of it, and it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
[/spoil]
Oh! I have been meaning to watch that. Will watch that tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder!
MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #8222
TRIBE Member

Finally saw Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Spy last night. I great piece of cinema. Highly recommend it.

stew
Old 03-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #8223
TRIBE Member

Just watched Idris Elba on George S. Excited to hear he is play Nelson Mandela in a movie. That could be Oscar stuff
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #8224
TRIBE Member

Chemical Brothers - Don't Think is now out on DVD and Blu Ray - BR w/ 7.1 surround sound!
el presidente Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #8225
TRIBE Member

The first Feature by Seth MacFarlane

TED - *dying over here*