TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

the movie thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:30 AM   #2501

I just saw Black Dahlia.

The plot is so fucking complicated, I'm still not even sure who the killer is.

Are we allowed to ruin the movie or do we have to be all polite and shit?

There is some tits and dyke action in this movie but the scenarios in which they are featured are mostly creepy.

My favourite character is the mother. At the scene when they're all at the dinner table, I was laughing so hard and the rest of the theatre was silent. (There were 10 people there, max, so there were tons of awkward silences where you could hear other people chewing fucking food)

Later on these lesbians told me that I was ruining the movie for them because I started talking out loud and shouting out things like "He knows who the killer is!" and "get out of there or you're going to get caught! Oh my god, he's going to get caught! Get out!". HAHAHAHA.

I should have watched Jackass.

/regret
funfuncheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #2502
vox
TRIBE Member

i just came back from watching "the departed".

*spoiler alert*

a welcome return to form for scorsese, it was way more entertaining than "the aviator" (which was good, but not great) and "the gangs of new york" (which was boring and not very good). aside from the spielbergian final shot with the heavy handed symbolism (paging paul haggis!) it was fast, entertaining, well shot and highly engaging. some nice editing work and a great pace. i don't think anyone can rein in jack nicholson at this point, but he gave a wonderful performance that only reverted to cariacture on one or two occasions.

i like the departure from "infernal affairs" in condensing the two love interests into one woman, which adds a neat psychological dimension (who's the father of the baby???). i also liked the themes of brotherhood, fraternity, fatherhood, etc. (bro-in-law brought up an interesting point...was nickelson the father of them both???). mark wahlberg continues to impress me as an actor, and he and alec baldwin had the best lines in the movie. i never used to "get" leonardo dicaprio's appeal (in the teen-beat sense), but he really won me over in this movie. he's a fantastic actor and there's a coiled up masculinity in there that i never saw before, but that really came out in this flick.

i didn't like the departure from "infernal affairs" in that matt damon's character's motivations were unclear. in the hk movie, andy lau (matt damon's) character starts to really LIKE being a cop, and the ending is a lot more poignant because of it, whereas the way scorsese plays it, the ending is unresolved and somewhat meaningless (to my mind anyway).

saw an interesting slicked-up, adrenaline pumped trailer for "300" that totally won me over, it's getting added to the list. "the blood diamon" looks way heavy-handed though.
vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #2503

are you calling me a chisler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox
i never used to "get" leonardo dicaprio's appeal (in the teen-beat sense), but he really won me over in this movie. he's a fantastic actor and there's a coiled up masculinity in there that i never saw before, but that really came out in this flick.
Dicaprio has been watching lots of Bobby Deniro circa 1970's. He's now talking the talk and "walking the walk." His physical presence is noticeable now, whereas it seemed a bit forced in Gangs of New York. He has definitely reinvented himself.
gsnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #2504
TRIBE Member

Another thumbs up for "Thank You For Smoking".
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #2505
zoo
TRIBE Member

I liked Thank You For Smoking too, it was fun and interesting. I loved the MOD squad hehe.
zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #2506
TRIBE Member

me three... if you're thinking of checking out Butterfly Effect 2 because you liked the first one, DON'T.
voytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #2507
TRIBE Member

People liked the first one?
Flashy_McFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #2508
zoo
TRIBE Member

Watched the movie OFFSIDE on monday.

Quote:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499537/

In Iran, women are not admitted to soccer games. Officially it's because they are to be spared from the vulgar language and behavior of the male audience. But of course it is about sexism. Women are lower forms of human beings.

Some brave girls oppose this and try to get into the stadium by using different tricks. They are caught by soldiers and hold in a kind of cage, until the police will come and pick them up.

Despite the insane situation, this is a film with lots of humor. It's also encouraging to see how people always find different ways of fighting oppression. You'll get touched at the same time as you have lots of laughs. Good job by director Jafar Panahi. This is in many ways a heroic comedy.
I didn't find the movie terribly interesting, but I did appreciate it's realism and setimentality. Overall I didn't think it was a waste of time, and would probably recommend it to others --- but I'd explain the plot a bit and warn them that it isn't a movie with any plot twists or suspense. It's simpy a first-hand perspective of one aspect of life in Iran. I'm pretty sure the movie was banned in Iran too, which I didn't think was appropriate.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #2509
TRIBE Member

i just watched a really interesting documentary called Afro-Punk.
www.afropunk.com

its about black kids in the punk scene in the U.S. and how they deal with two often conflicting aspects of their identities.
this doc had such a refreshing air of authenticity.
i really appreciated the discussions in the film about race, privilege, outsider status and identity.
there is also a lot of discussion in the film about the DIY mentality and its connection to the punk scene. the guy who made this movie didn't know anything about making movies but totally embodied DIY and just figured it out and did it. kudos to him.
all in all, a great doc.
Booty Bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #2510
zoo
TRIBE Member

I watched this last night on "A Channel" because there was nothing else on after LOST. It was alright actually. It's about some dude that has a run-in with a couple of punks trying to mug him, so he fights back, then the whole gang appears from some bushes or something, and then he runs away and into a tree. The gang claims they will kill him if he comes down, so he stays up there and we see their interactions over the entire evening. There's teenage sex, drug use, swearing, violence, and guns. It's not the best movie ever, and there are some points where you roll your eyes so they're staring backwards because the dialogue or moment becomes so Full House, but mostly it was an engaging watch.

Not all of the acting was convincing, but I think that had more to do with what the director asked out of the actors (or rather, what he neglected to ask of them).

It got 7.7/10 (494 votes) on IMDB which is good, and the featured review says this:

Quote:
I caught this on cable last night and have to say that this was as riveting and shocking in places as Larry Clark's "Kids". To have a movie shot in one location solely relying on its script-writing is unusual, but a script working as effectively as this certainly provides a breath of fresh air. A hugely inventive and original film - see this or miss out.
I wouldn't compare it to Kids at all. That was sort of "art school" whereas this movie was more "psychology class."
Old 10-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #2511
TRIBE Member

Thumbs up for Death Of A President!
Great little movie with such an imagination. It was like watching the little Engine that could.
d.code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.code
Thumbs up for Death Of A President!
Great little movie with such an imagination. It was like watching the little Engine that could.
I want to see it but.. the idea behind it seems kind of lame to me. The subject material is simply too easy. I'd rather watch a movie where an evil Kevin Spacey murders key democrats for their ineptness, each murder being symbolic of a key failing of the party since the mid 90's. It could end with Hillary's head in a box. How great would that be?
gsnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #2513
TRIBE Member

Tideland is fucking awful. What the hell was with Gilliam on this one? I can forgive The Brothers Grimm, but this.....
el presidente Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #2514
TRIBE Member

last night the movie "Everything is Illuminated" with Elijah Wood was on the Movie Network.
I really enjoyed this film, as did my girlfriend.
I didnt want to create a thread about it, but did want to recommend others watch it as it was a really enjoyable movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404030/

check it out.
[- FuNKtiOn -] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM   #2515
TRIBE Member

anyone seen the prestige, it is on at 10 tonight and i am thinking of seeing it
basketballjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #2516
kat
TRIBE Member

i watched a whole bunch of movies this weekend.

the squid and the whale
loved it. wohoo for the pepsi girl's brother.

thank you for smoking
i really liked it. nice, short and sweet. that kid is kind of creepy.

art school confidential
cute and weird. the fat guy from my name is earl/kevin smith movies is in it. and steve buscemi.

afro-punk
really good. first time film maker, completely diy documentary. some of the kids interviewed are total flakes, but i guess it gives you the whole spectrum. the credits are well done too.

birth
hey its the creepy kid from thank you for smoking..being..creepy. i like danny huston. i liked the intensity, but i felt that with theme being reincarnation they could have done more with it. nicole kidman is a weiner.

harold & maude
haha onto another movie that has a huge age difference and sexual tension. well ish. the cat stevens soundtrack it totally cheesy..but meh. i liked it and have been meaning to watch it for ages.

kinky boots
cute. i didnt like the full monty so i was skeptical..but i liked it.

the proposition
been trying to see this for ages. hello again danny huston. i dont think ive ever seen another movie about australia in that time period. john hurt is awesome and guy pearce looks almost exactly like he did in ravenous.

tristram shandy: a cock and bull story
i started watching it, and was all 'god dam this movie is hard to follow..there is no flow'. but then i wikipedia'd the book and then i got it. but i felt very unbritish and stupid for not understanding it in the first place. good times.

and i think i watched something else too..but i forget what it was.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #2517
zoo
TRIBE Member

I watched "The Break-Up" this weekend. It was predictably bad, I chose to do the dishes for about an hour's worth of movie time while my girlfriend and roommate watched. I think it was even worse that I expected actually, though I can't comment for sure since I only saw the first 1 minute and final 35 minutes of it.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #2518
zoo
TRIBE Member

Oh I also watched "Nacho Libre" this weekend. It had some engaging moments, but was entirely forgettable and not worth the watch. Most of the time it just felt like a mexican Napolean Dynamite with some subject matter on wrestling.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #2519
TRIBE Member

if you still have the dvd for the breakup, there is a good extra feature on it where jon favreau and vince vaughan improv that hilarious scene in the bar.

the movie was shit, but that bit was great.
Booty Bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #2520
zoo
TRIBE Member

err, dvd?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #2521

Yeah I agree with the above comments about the breakup, skip it.

Also watched Click yesterday, I thought it was terrible, skip it too.
Fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:50 PM   #2522
TRIBE Member

The Prestige is really, really good, but asks you to make a huge suspension of your disbelief in the final act.
el presidente Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #2523
zoo
TRIBE Member

Click is that bad eh? I downloaded it for the sake of (and burned it), but will probably avoid it!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #2524
TRIBE Member

The Proposition:

Quite possibly the best movie i've sat through this year. Everything about it hit me hard in the heart.
The cinematography was top notch showing the sparse Aussie outback in all its glory. I've been fascinated by the outback since i was a kid (hello Mad Max) and many scenes had my mouth ajar.
The score by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis perfectly complimented the long, scenery gazing moments and the more frenetic, tense scenes.
Stand out performances include Danny Huston's amoral and monstrous 'Arthur Burns', John Hurt's english bounty hunter, Ray Winstone was his usual captivating self as the captain... but Guy Pearce stole it for me as the conflicted 'Mike Burns'... his quiet demeanor often had the undercurrent of menace.

It was grisly and violently graphic at times, but that era in Aussie history wasn't pretty...

I can barely think of any flaws. Bravo John Hillcoat.
rentboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #2525
zoo
TRIBE Member

Ahh I keep skipping The Proposition over!

I've had it for months ..