Old 02-25-2002, 09:53 AM   #26
TRIBE Member

News Flash

PLAIN AND SIMPLE

CANADA FUCKING RULES

THAT IS ALL
Preroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:53 AM   #27

well, i had a few too many sips of the national pride sauce last night....i woke up with a very strange amount of spinnign going on in my head and stomach.

got to work 2 hours late...oh well.

i got lost in a whirlwind of national pride last night. at some point i took off my shirt, shoes, and socks and was standing in the street with a flag wrapped around me screaming and cheering.

what a night. great game though.

as for the 'why care' question, well from a objective point of view i agree that getting all that excited about sports is silly. but it is totally understandable. i, like most canadian men, was raised on hockey. i was skating as soon as i could walk, i played hockey every year from age 5 on. some years i was on two or three different teams. my life largely revolved around it. not only playing but also watching leaf games with my dad. so i'm totally indoctrinated into it.

and when our national team wins the gold it is an accomplishment of the whole nation. those are canadian men and women who grew up playing in canadian leagues against thousands of kids who didn't make it to the NHL or international competition, knew they never would, but played anyways ebcause they love the game. those players were coached by our parents, driven to games in our family cars, loaned or given equipment because they couldn't afford it.

canadian hockey is a product of canada that every single person in the nation is part of, and has contributed to in some way...even if just by living in the country and supporting an ecomony that can afford the luxuries of covered arenas and goalie pads.

my name is ross and I AM CANADIAN
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:03 PM   #28
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jungleboy
...just a bunch of rich white men(bar one) playing a game...let's find our source of pride in something other than sports....or celebrating true amatuer athletes at the least...
BLAH

BLAH

BLAH

Bumbaclat
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote