Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

fashion faux pas?

Old 02-25-2002, 07:32 PM   #76
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m..m
How about non-matching bra/underwear?

i have a mild objection to this. while i agree it looks kinda not so nice, bras and underwear are way too expensive to buy matching sets all the time...like we are talking $40-50 bras, and $10-15 underwear. i cant afford to match everything. i try my best to just buy the basic colours, and match them up that way. its much less expensive....
SUNKIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:39 PM   #77
TRIBE Member

If the colours are matching that's cool. They don't have to be from exactly the same set, even though that is extra special sexy.
m..m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:28 PM   #78
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kate

Phat Pants. EWW. They scream dirty raver with a jib addiction. They're over, and don't try to sell me any of that "they're more comfortable to dance in" bullshit. They look dumb. If you're over 20 and still repping the phat pants you need to re-evaluate.

I disagree. I have a thing for really clean-looking dark denim phat pants that aren't incredibly huge. I always wear mine to the office with a tight turtleneck sweater. I think it looks good.
But I do hate when people wear the grungy ones that get all nasty. Like Korn fans on the bus. Heh.
MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:37 PM   #79
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by basic

These two seem to clash a bit Although I know alot of people who love T5S, I don't get it.

Plus anything that is trendy among the "yo guys" at Ryerson is so far away from what I want to wear

The style that I hate is the rolled up phat pants. It yells sketchy out loud.

And the new thing should be leather bracelets for guys
I went to the T5S store in NYC and the stuff was nice. Really slick sportswear even though I wouldn't wear it. Well.. that's not true. I did want one of those orange 555 zip up hoodies last year.
I'm just saying it's better than Chaps Ralph Lauren, you know what I mean? Logos on sportswear is gonna be expected, I guess.

And I roll up my pants at Breakfest in the summer.

Leather cuffs are the bomb. I caught the bug a while ago. Now I have... 7 of them or so.
Basic and I have the same one! Mine's red and his is black. We rule.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:08 AM   #80
KiX
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kate

Phat Pants. EWW. They scream dirty raver with a jib addiction. They're over, and don't try to sell me any of that "they're more comfortable to dance in" bullshit. They look dumb. If you're over 20 and still repping the phat pants you need to re-evaluate.

K, if you're talking like $20 Stitches style phatpants, then fine, but like Sunny said... boys in a non-sketchy pair of phatpants with a nice shirt or sweater is aces.

=tina=
KiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:18 AM   #81
TRIBE Member

Bally's trying to make a comeback with menswear now and I like their stuff. A lot of modern classics.

There's that motorcross jacket I was talking about. I have one in tan but mine's vintage and falling apart (which makes it look kind of cool, actually). I'd get new one but then I'm afraid to get it ruined...
Old 02-26-2002, 12:20 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally posted by SUNKIST
i have a mild objection to this. while i agree it looks kinda not so nice, bras and underwear are way too expensive to buy matching sets all the time...like we are talking $40-50 bras, and $10-15 underwear. i cant afford to match everything. i try my best to just buy the basic colours, and match them up that way. its much less expensive....
That is by far the cutest message of 2002.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:35 AM   #83
TRIBE Member

I don't have any lights on but my room is still being lit by these pants. FASHION FAUX PAS TO THE MAX! You know how some things look so cool on the runway but it's cannot be appropriated to the street? Well... this looks bad on the runway AND the street.

Tommy Hilfiger, *sigh*

*shiver*
Old 02-26-2002, 12:40 AM   #84
TRIBE Member

I really do think Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme is a genius. I mean look at the cut of this robe thing. It's got so much glamour and edge to it. But I cannot see Gerald from Payroll wearing this to work on Monday.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:51 AM   #85
TRIBE Member

Some more outfits I wish I could afford to wear:

The cuff is so beautiful. He always makes clothes with slim silhouettes and strings hanging out. I love it and tend to copy it sometimes.

Mmm... a very flattering suit.

I would kill for that coat. I wouldn't wear the pants unless I was going to the Northbound Leather Ball.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:43 AM   #86
TRIBE Promoter

Thanks for the reply MoFo, nice to hear what other people think as well as its helpful for when buying new spring threads.

I like this shirt from the Bally's collection as well, although I tend to find that I prefer minimal and more classical stuff over most other styles...

Kalemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:29 AM   #87
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vinder
man whore sleeveless t's

someone had to say it.
*AHEM* you were saying?

Mr_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 08:02 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally posted by MoFo

I really do think Hedi Slimane for Dior Homme is a genius. I mean look at the cut of this robe thing. It's got so much glamour and edge to it. But I cannot see Gerald from Payroll wearing this to work on Monday.
That outfit is ridiculous unless you are a karate teacher.

Only karate teachers and gay men who are -sitting -backstage -waiting- to- put- their- make-up- on -for- the-BIG- drag- show can get away with outfits like this!

It's such a pansy outfit......................
gRoOviegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:04 AM   #89

I'm thinking about getting new sunglasses this year, is there anything anyone can recomend?

And since this is so many people interested in fashion in here, does anyone have a favorite piece of clothing that they own?

I'd say my 3/4 trench from hugo boss in mine.
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:07 AM   #90
TRIBE Member

I'm glad you can't afford those clothes Sunny. Those dudes look like shit.
416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 11:11 AM   #91
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 416
I'm glad you can't afford those clothes Sunny. Those dudes look like shit.
w3rd

"fashion" fucking pisses me off. useless pretentious zinfandel sipping twats revelling in their own little self important microcosm and who contribute nothing of value to the real world.

style is one thing, and you can have it without getting entrenched into whatever the fuck fashion thinks it is.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:56 PM   #92
TRIBE Member

manitou

Quote:
Originally posted by SneakyPete

What camp is that? I bet it's one of the two or three camps I am thinking of. I know cause I went to high school with them.

Pete
Manitou-wabing sports & arts centre.

Peace,

Sabina

.:. Share what you know, learn what you don't .:.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:02 PM   #93
TRIBE Member

^^^
Yeah, but nothing is personal anymore in Western Culture.
Everything is dictated by fashion houses. And I can safely say everything. You tell me anything that is personalized or something someone wears tfor individuality and you can trace its roots back into Prada or Gucci or Hussein Chalayan or whoever.

Unless you make or deconstruct your own clothes. But even deconstruction was started by someone in fashion.

For example, remember how 3 years ago, there weren't ever any weird backpacks? All backpacks looked the same: the standard two backstraps deal. Because of Prada's bags that hugged the body, now we have sling bags, side bags, triangle bags and such.

There's defintiely a worthy debate of whether art imitates life or life imitates art. Fashion has always been the fence sitter and that's the allure of it to me. It's so powerful and it has such an impact on the word yet style is still so frivolous and unnecessary.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:12 PM   #94
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

w3rd

"fashion" fucking pisses me off. useless pretentious zinfandel sipping twats revelling in their own little self important microcosm and who contribute nothing of value to the real world.
And how does the corporate elite who also sip their brandies ion their own microcosms do good to the real world?
All sections of the economy are going to have pretention. Fashion is just more accessible to the public so we tend to see more pretention and elitism because of the mass media (ie. Fashion File, Fashion television, magazines...).

BUT! I am definitely going into the industry one day and I plan on still being my normal self. It's not that hard to NOT get caught up in it. One has to be quite sure of themselves to make it in fashion.

I am constantly amused by people who mock fashion and talk about it like it's this other world unattainable by the them yet they wear clothes. They wanna look good. The buy into trends without even knowing.

Why not just enjoy it for what it is and have a good time with it? I fully admit that I want to look good, I want to work my way up the industry, I want to show off my new threads and I want to go to glamourous parties. But it doesn't mean I'm going to judge others or take the bus or something. High maintenance is a privilege, not a standard.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:16 PM   #95
TRIBE Member

Quote:

But it doesn't mean I'm going to judge others or take the bus or something. High maintenance is a privilege, not a standard.
It should say NOT take the bus. Heh.
Old 02-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #96
TRIBE Member

haa haa deep, he showed you!

p[l]a+0 <--awww, i only kid because i love.
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 02:59 PM   #97
TRIBE Member

Quote:

And how does the corporate elite who also sip their brandies ion their own microcosms do good to the real world?

I didn't even make mention of anything corporate so that doesn't constitute a point.

Quote:
All sections of the economy are going to have pretention.
And? Some sections of the economy have more tangible benefit to human existence as well.

Quote:
BUT! I am definitely going into the industry one day and I plan on still being my normal self. It's not that hard to NOT get caught up in it. One has to be quite sure of themselves to make it in fashion.
Which is perfectly well and good. Art as expression I'm all for. People overestimating their value to the human race regardless of whether it's in fashion or corporations or whatever I'm not.

Quote:
I am constantly amused by people who mock fashion and talk about it like it's this other world unattainable by the them yet they wear clothes. They wanna look good. The buy into trends without even knowing.
I think there is a distinction between style and fashion, style does not need a sworn allegiance to a particular label or a critique of every designer's latest 'fashions' to exist.

Quote:
But it doesn't mean I'm going to judge others or take the bus or something.
The fact that your attitude is the exception rather than the rule is what I'm condemning.
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:18 PM   #98

Re: manitou

Quote:
Originally posted by Bean

Manitou-wabing sports & arts centre.

Peace,

Sabina

.:. Share what you know, learn what you don't .:.
I think the JAP uniform that Kate mentioned applies to pretty much any girl who attended any camp located in the Muskoka region - Tawingo, Wanakita and the oh-so-WASP Muskoka Woods.
I admit I fell victim to this look in high school(I like to tell myself that I was rebelling against my Guess wearing, fake tanning schoolmates) but seeing how that was over 6 years ago I am now dismayed to learn that this look has stood the test of time!
Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:03 PM   #99
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I didn't even make mention of anything corporate so that doesn't constitute a point. [/b]
Right but I am. I'm trying to point out the ubiquity of pretention and I think that fashion (out of a lot of other industries) is specifically pegged as something superficial and capitalist when there are so many other evils.

Quote:
And? Some sections of the economy have more tangible benefit to human existence as well.
Fashion is not a necessity, I agree. But I don't see people judging the ice-cream industry or the palm pilot industry: both things are superfluous to mankind in this day in age. People are indulgent. There's no question about. I blame the consumers for being sucked into pretention, not the fashion.

Quote:

Which is perfectly well and good. Art as expression I'm all for. People overestimating their value to the human race regardless of whether it's in fashion or corporations or whatever I'm not.
I agree with that. No one said fashion had any value to society. Whether it does or not is questionable and should be left for the consumer or the admirer to contemplate. But it doesn't mean we can't enjoy it for what it is. And I disagree with you on one thing, fashion is not art. Two totally different things and ideologies except they're intrinsically linked.

Quote:
I think there is a distinction between style and fashion, style does not need a sworn allegiance to a particular label or a critique of every designer's latest 'fashions' to exist.
I can think of a few things that the fashionable didn't produce that's fashionable today so I can agree partly. I do know that design houses are known for snagging trends off the street.

But most of those trends originated from fashion anyway before they got incorporated again.

Some might say that punk produced punks... some might say Vivienne Westwood produced punkers. It's all debatable.

But name me something that you wear from Western culture that isn't dictated by fashion texts to be fashionable. Because if you can't, then you're just one of those hypocritical people that follow fashion subconsciously, not realizing that their choices are directly linked to the designers who set the trends for each year.

What I'm saying is that having choices (the choice to be an individual, the choice to wear something of non-conformity etc...) doesn't mean that one is free from fashions impending influence on our clothing selections.

You put on a vintage t-shirt because you like it and stand by the fact that it is YOUR own choice which in turn makes you an individual (your theory) and I'll throw at you James Dean, 60'sd designers, D & G and Fred Segal and others as potential subconscious influences on your clothing decision.

IMO, true individual style does not exist anymore. People only strive to get there but never reach it because we live in the age of consumerism. I say know what you're getting into and indulge in it. Because if you preach about being against it, you end up getting shot down for being a part of it without knowing. And if you get immersed in it, you end up being a pretentious, elitist fuck like you mentioned.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:28 PM   #100

Mr. T's Fashion Tip

"Everybody's gotta wear clothes. Otherwise you'd be arrested"
Wunderbar is offline   Reply With Quote