Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

fashion faux pas?

Old 02-25-2002, 03:03 AM   #51
TRIBE Member

go team puma!

jazz, brian said u dress really nice too
air-bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:15 AM   #52

Location: Lurking in parking lots... with a bag of rocks in tow.
Just cuz it makes me ill...

Dark stockings (or "panty hose" as the case may be) and WHITE HEELS.
Even worse - OPEN TOED HEELS.
I SEE this in the business district on a regular.

Actually white heels in general are pretty nasty IMO.
Unless you're gettin hitched.

Joanna
Smiley Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:50 AM   #53

Re: fashion faux pas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
-black pants with white socks: if you wear black pants, put on some black socks, simple enough....
I agree with this 100%
also note that usually you're socks should match your shoe's not your pants.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 AM   #54
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MoFo

9. No logos. Logomania is OVER. The best is when someone can tell what you're clothes are without having the name on the front.
haha

would someone please inform 416?
janiecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 08:59 AM   #55
TRIBE Member

Quote:
McBee. She mixes class with funk with sport with rave. It's great. Her accessories (earrings, chokers etc) ALWAYS looks awesome. Her style always has personality even when she's in black.

Thanks sunny! what a nice compliment!!

and its true...if you can't spend money on clothes....a little money spent on good accesories can make a world of difference!!!

as for fashion faux pas,

NO white socks with black shoes. never ever.

buying the wrong size. if it doesn't fit properly you look like ass. the size number means nothing. don't try and squeeze your ass into a sz 27 jean if you really are a 30. trust me....working at jean machine, i've seen it all. the right size makes all the difference.

mullets. this does not look good. pick one length and go with it.

sarah
mcbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:26 AM   #56
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PosTMOd
Nat, are you on the drugs again?
nooooo. i was just hyper and ramble~y at the time. really. *stares off into space* <whistles>

and maybe i'm fortunate but i don't think i've ever had bad sex. i mean, really BAD sex. "okay" sex mebbe, great sex often enough, fantastic sex rarely...but still it's comparative...

3-4-1 < slice of amatos

contributing to the original topic: acidwash

*muah*
~N
Pyrovitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:46 AM   #57
TRIBE Member

I don't know how to dress! and shopping takes too long!!!!

I wish my mom still did my clothes shopping for me. She has good taste!
swenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:04 AM   #58
TRIBE Member

Quote:

11. Don't listen to GQ and wear a blazer with jeans. NOT a good idea. I can't think of ANYONE who looks good in that. Except maybe my OAC English teacher. Oh wait... that's ALL he wore...

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't stand those blazers made out of denim either. Ugh.

Most of my thoughts have been covered, here's some that haven't:

1. Foundation: First of all, younger people should not be wearing foundation. But, if you're going to use it, make sure it matches your natural skin tone.

2. Updating your wardrobe, but not your hair or glasses etc.

3. White jeans.

Peace,

Sabina

.:. Share what you know, learn what you don't .:.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:20 AM   #59

Re: Re: fashion faux pas?

Quote:

The thing is I LOVE the bling bling shit in Britain. There are WICKED looking hip hopper/UK garage guys with gold teeth, really neato caps, leather jackets and gold chains. I think people in the Bronx pull it off pretty well too.

I love a big mack daddy when I see one.

But yeah, a guy in a suit with a dress shirt and a gold chain is a no-no.
"Neato"?

Ginos that wear "swooshing" track suits....is it Diadora or something like that? And they walk by going: swish,swoosh, swish, swoosh.........

Also, I HATE those stupid Invicta backpacks...get over it for god's sake. Yes, your cool cuz you went to Italy but they are soooooooooooooooooooooo played out!

Also, J Lo sunglasses are so over........along with those stupid upside down hankerchief tops for girls...I actually saw someone wearing one on the weekend at a club (they were in about 2 years ago)

That's all for now.....and remember, it's only my opinion...

gRoOviegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:30 AM   #60
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Cheeka, the few times that I saw her, she was stylin'. She's got the body and the edge so she uses it to her advantage. She always looks really slick.
Cheeka: make your cheque payable to Mofo's Compliments 'R' Us.

daddyiwantchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:31 AM   #61
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janiecakes

haha

would someone please inform 416?
boooooooooooooooooooooooo
416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 02:05 PM   #62
TRIBE Member

am i the only one who thinks scarves are going to get really big this year?

like, nice silk ones for when guys want to dress up a bit, maybe with a nice unbuttonned vest, in warm hues. yes.

or girls in funky, comfortable light spring/summer wear with a scarve tied around their upper arm. specially when the scarve is such bright garish colours and doesnt look like it would go with the outfit. if the girl has the rigt attitude she can pull it off.

i've been seeing this a lot actually...anyone else noticed this?

i like it.

p[l]a+0
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #63
TRIBE Member

Quote:
4. Triple 5 Soul.
9. No logos. .
These two seem to clash a bit Although I know alot of people who love T5S, I don't get it.

Plus anything that is trendy among the "yo guys" at Ryerson is so far away from what I want to wear

The style that I hate is the rolled up phat pants. It yells sketchy out loud.

And the new thing should be leather bracelets for guys
R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 02:20 PM   #64
TRIBE Member

Oh yeag - another faux pas is dressing up your pets.
R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 02:32 PM   #65

Quote:
Before I go to bed, I wanna mention some people on here that I think look good:

Funk Docta. Dude always looks like a million bucks. Sleeveless t's look great on him. His new shaggy hair makes him so hot. And the slim sweaters (the orange Energie one) suit his body type. The sunglasses in the summer make him look really sharp.
Thanks for the compliment hun. You look pretty hot yourself. And agreed on all you menswear picks.

IMO fashion should be personalized. Sure certain looks may be "IN" but those looks may not suite you in many ways.

1) Clothes should be flattering to your body type. Certain things look better on certain body types. i.e. people with bellies and rolls shouldn't wear tight clothing just as people that look like they're emaciated shouldn't wear oversized clothing that the swim in and oversized roid boyz in tight little clothes just looks wrong.

2) What you wear should mirror your personality. Wear something that is YOU. Fuck what's "in" go by what's "out" then try to be original. The nicest most expensive clothing will still look like crap if the person wearing it can't carry it.

3) Attitude is EVERYTING! It's not what you wear, It's how you wear it. WORK IT OUT! Even crappy clothes can still look good if the person wearing them gives you runway!
FunK_DoCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 02:53 PM   #66
TRIBE Member

Re: fashion faux pas?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr_Furious

-black pants with white socks: if you wear black pants, put on some black socks, simple enough....

That's true if you're wearing black shoes, but what if you're wearing black pants and white shoes (like an addias sneaker)? Do you go with white socks or black socks?

Pete
SneakyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:02 PM   #67
TRIBE Member

Quote:
That's true if you're wearing black shoes, but what if you're wearing black pants and white shoes (like an addias sneaker)? Do you go with white socks or black socks?

You can NEVER! go wrong with white socks. and I mean NEVER!
swenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:34 PM   #68

Faux-pas:

I hate to stereotype, but the J.A.P. uniform at Yonge and Eglington (where I work) is really so bad. The curly hair piled into a messy bun on top of the head, the big baggy roots trackpants tucked into wool work socks with a too small triple 5 soul hoodie. Its really fucking bad. You can add a tiffany's charm bracelet and a louis vuitton makeup bag purse with a bananna clip attached to the side for a little flair. A fucking horrible fashion epidemic.

Phat Pants. EWW. They scream dirty raver with a jib addiction. They're over, and don't try to sell me any of that "they're more comfortable to dance in" bullshit. They look dumb. If you're over 20 and still repping the phat pants you need to re-evaluate.

As Mlle. Mcbee stated, girls buying their jeans too small. If you're a 29 wear it proudly but don't try shoving your ass into a size 25 and think it makes you look like you're actually supposed to be a 25. Its just a big melange of camel toe and backfat spillage which no one wants to see.

A couple of favourites that come to my mind at the moment:

As allways, the miniskirt. I'm getting more and more excited that they're everywhere for spring and they're getting shorter.

I'm really feeling legwarmers. So eighties, and absoloutely brilliant if paired with a big off the shoulder sweatshirt. I got my mom to knit me a pair of hot pink legwarmers with a matching scarf and toque. Its absoloutely the fucking cutest ever.

Rainbows for girls. This spring its all about colour. Rainbows, pink, red, and especially bright green. Totally feeling that.

A little bit of bling bling. Baby Phat's spring collection is really too cute for words, same with lady enyce.
kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally posted by basic
Oh yeag - another faux pas is dressing up your pets.
Whatever. I dress up my kitten in my old white raver headband around herself; oh wait sahe actually put it on once by mistake.

Nevertheless,

puppies with little slippers are the cutest thing.
ecstasy riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:46 PM   #70
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kate
Faux-pas:

I hate to stereotype, but the J.A.P. uniform at Yonge and Eglington (where I work) is really so bad. The curly hair piled into a messy bun on top of the head, the big baggy roots trackpants tucked into wool work socks with a too small triple 5 soul hoodie. Its really fucking bad. You can add a tiffany's charm bracelet and a louis vuitton makeup bag purse with a bananna clip attached to the side for a little flair. A fucking horrible fashion epidemic.

Ohmygoodness. that was the 'uniform' that essentially all the campers at my camp wore. i can let it slide at camp, but in the city?

kate, i'm totally backing you up on this one

Peace,

Sabina

Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 05:59 PM   #71

Oh yeah I forgot about proportionately thin guys in girls clothing. Boyz it's hot! Some guys with the right body type can pull off female fashion better than most females provided they have the right attitude. Granted the lack of croch space in the pants and shirts with breast pletes could pose a problem. The look doesn't work for tall and lanky. I love women's fashion it's so much more origianl than most menswear. I wish that they would make male versions of a lot of women's clothing.
FunK_DoCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:06 PM   #72
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bean

Ohmygoodness. that was the 'uniform' that essentially all the campers at my camp wore. i can let it slide at camp, but in the city?

kate, i'm totally backing you up on this one

Peace,

Sabina

What camp is that? I bet it's one of the two or three camps I am thinking of. I know cause I went to high school with them.

Pete
SneakyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:15 PM   #73
TRIBE Member

Maybe it's just the mood I'm in today, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Who cares what people wear? There are far more important and interesting things about people that their pony tails and t-shirts.

Come on now!

Ming.
mingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:53 PM   #74
TRIBE Member

Nevermind. I didn't mean that.

Ming.
mingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:04 PM   #75
TRIBE Member

How about non-matching bra/underwear?

or

Tight pants with big underwear. girls you've got to go thong or nothing at all.
m..m is offline   Reply With Quote