TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Pearl killed by kidnappers

Old 02-22-2002, 05:06 PM   #26
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mr tall
you can say what you want about US foreign policy, but this was the act of horrible INDIVIDUALS murdering a person. It's appalling, and to even attempt to rationalize it within the context of the "evils of America," gives it and them too much intellectual credit, sits way too far on the side of justification, and is totally offensive.
It's not necessarily about the 'evils of america' but more about the US practicing what they preach. They come charging into this conflict in Afghanistan waving the flag of liberalism yet they do nothing but pervert its fundamental ideals. The only way that the war on terrorism can end is through the US taking the high road and demonstrating their 'liberal' attitudes through compassion towards the fundamentalist and radicalized members of the nation of Islam.

As for LoopeD I'm sorry but as always your comments hold no water.

When you state:
Quote:
Its real easy to blame all of your troubles on another country, rather than yourselves. When we have a problem with something in North America, most of us don't set bombs, kidnap people and slaughter innocents to get our point across.
The reason these people react by kindnapping journalists is because they have no other way to get their message across, precisely the same reason they resort to flying planes into buildings. They simply don't have access to our democratic channels, and when your grievances fall upon deaf ears the ultimate result is to lash out against those you believe to be your oppressors. This isn't rocket science.

I don't mean to justify killing an innocent, in fact that's exactly why this turn of events angers me. However when the international media channels are so restricted and dominated by the prevailing world view of the western world then desperate times evidently breed desperate measures.

I think we could all benefit from turning off the CNN and observing coverage that appears on Al Jazeera...maybe then this conflict could be framed a without the distorting gatekeeping practices that are realized in the form of multinational media corporations.

We all need perspective.

S.
Spinsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinsah

It's not necessarily about the 'evils of america' but more about the US practicing what they preach. They come charging into this conflict in Afghanistan waving the flag of liberalism yet they do nothing but pervert its fundamental ideals. The only way that the war on terrorism can end is through the US taking the high road and demonstrating their 'liberal' attitudes through compassion towards the fundamentalist and radicalized members of the nation of Islam.

As for LoopeD I'm sorry but as always your comments hold no water.

When you state:

The reason these people react by kindnapping journalists is because they have no other way to get their message across, precisely the same reason they resort to flying planes into buildings. They simply don't have access to our democratic channels, and when your grievances fall upon deaf ears the ultimate result is to lash out against those you believe to be your oppressors. This isn't rocket science.

S.

Sorry, been away from my computer for a few days.........

As always, my comments hold no water? Even though you addressed only one of them? This sentence wasn't my entire argument, but you probably hit the quote button in a fit of hastiness..........

My point was, addressing the root problems of the terrorists rather than attempting to attack them is basically saying terrorism works to get your problems solved. What say you to that?

My "arguments", spin, are shared by a larger amount of people than you may think outside of your little world. Compassion for fundamentalist radicals? There's just too much wrong with that statement to even address in this medium - your views are dangerously misguided. They sure don't seem to show a lot of compassion for human life, why should they be shown compassion in return?

The murderers of Daniel Pearl were heartless fanatical lowlife fuckheads, and I don't care what their excuses (and your excuses) are, as far as I'm concerned they should all be shot and pissed on. Oh, and as for their grievances, screw em. You don't want to play by the rules, then how can you expect anybody else to give a shit about you? You don't kidnap and murder journalists, actually you don't commit acts of terrorism period in the name of your misfortunes. There are better ways of getting your point across; I imagine it would be pretty frustrating to have your arguments fall upon deaf ears, but that is no excuse for random UNJUSTIFIED murder. If so, then pretty much every killer on trial should get off, right? As long as they could prove that there was no other course of action? Yeah OK - I don't even like Bush or his foreign policy much, I only defend it because people like you are bleeding hearts with more compassion for murderers than their victims.

d
LoopeD is offline   Reply With Quote