Quantcast
So let's talk some Wayne Gretzky - Page 2 - TRIBE MAGAZINE
TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

So let's talk some Wayne Gretzky

Old 01-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #26
TRIBE Member

they were playing a differant game in those days of wayne's guady stats.

no nuetral zone traps in those days, either

put mario in edmonton and wayne in pittsburg and then compare those stats.
-Mercury- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 08:35 PM   #27
TRIBE Member

It is possible to have more talent and do less with it.
Mario has been injured countless times, never mind that little cancer thing. Compare the number of games played. Mario has missed way more time as a % of his career.
Don't get me wrong. Gretzky deserves all the accolades he gets. We're talking about 2 of the greatest to ever play. It's really not fair to compare since they play a different style, different teams, and all that other stuff.
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 08:53 PM   #28
TRIBE Member

theres no differance!

pittsburg had a amazing team as well...
they won a couple cups in the ninties

and the game isn't that different. Only real difference is they play more games now so people cn get more points
(but still don't come close to Wayne's stats
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:28 PM   #29

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by basic:
I saw Gretzky on TV last night talking about Peter Gzowski. Basically he was saying that he admired Gzowski for sticking it out in Canada when he easily could have headed South for bigger bucks. The irony made me laugh out loud.</font>
Gretzky was sold to the L.A. Kings by the Edmonton Owner he had no choice he had to go or else not play. He was in tears crying his ass off cause he didn't want to leave. If there is one person who loves his country its Gretzky. Get your facts straight before you start bad mouthing someone as great as THE GREAT ONE.

Old 01-27-2002, 10:06 PM   #30
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joey:
theres no differance!

pittsburg had a amazing team as well...
they won a couple cups in the ninties

</font>
what ?????????pittsburgh did not have an amazing team, they were lucky, cause no team during their cup reigns were power houses.........pittsburgh vs minnesota.....humm

who was the goalie.....???? other than the first line can u name, another offensive player off pittsburgh

mario was far more talented than gretzky, mario introduced the league to deeking out the defense, mario had far more superior skills in puck handling

junglisthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:12 PM   #31
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pest:
Gretzky was sold to the L.A. Kings by the Edmonton Owner he had no choice he had to go or else not play. He was in tears crying his ass off cause he didn't want to leave. If there is one person who loves his country its Gretzky. Get your facts straight before you start bad mouthing someone as great as THE GREAT ONE.
</font>
Regardless, the irony still stands.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:19 PM   #32
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pest:
Quote:
Originally posted by basic:
I saw Gretzky on TV last night talking about Peter Gzowski. Basically he was saying that he admired Gzowski for sticking it out in Canada when he easily could have headed South for bigger bucks. The irony made me laugh out loud.</font>

http://www.canoe.ca/Gretzky/gretztrade.html

Actually, Gretzky left the Oilers to be with his wife who lived in Hollywood.
jellibeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:35 PM   #33

That article is bull. Wow I thought the sun printed crap but they even print what ever they feel like when it comes to sports too. If you were old enough you would have seen the press conference where Gretzky looked so shocked and sad. What did you want him to do he was sold like a piece of meat, he did the classy thing and worked out a deal. Hey if your going to go anyway you might as well be in on it.
Old 01-27-2002, 10:43 PM   #34
TRIBE Member

^^^^^^^

whatever
, he wanted to move to hollywood to be with his new wife, you can't blame him for that.

-Mercury- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:58 PM   #35
TRIBE Member

he requested the move to los angeles, for his wife was trying to pursue an acting career, why else do you think edmonton got ripped in the trade, edmonton had their hands tied

and on more thing anyone can cry, especially when you are overwhelmed with media
junglisthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:46 AM   #36
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by junglisthead:
what ?????????pittsburgh did not have an amazing team, they were lucky, cause no team during their cup reigns were power houses.........pittsburgh vs minnesota.....humm

who was the goalie.....???? other than the first line can u name, another offensive player off pittsburgh

mario was far more talented than gretzky, mario introduced the league to deeking out the defense, mario had far more superior skills in puck handling

</font>
Lemieux Jagr, Francis, Stevens, Barrasso, Cullen, Hatcher, Trottier(i think) Casey was the goalie for Minnesota.

And whatever about the %Redwings and Oilers comparison. I just wanted to point out that there are other teams that have just as good a team as the 84-89 Oilers.

The style of hockey was way different then it is now, and it's like trying to Compare Gretzky to Howe, and so on. The goalies had pretty puny equipment as compared to todays suits of armor that we wear these days. And it takes a different type of player to excel now that no one is "waived" from being hit, or fighting with them.

BTW IMHO, I think that Gretzky is the greatest of all time. BUt if it wern't for injuries maybe Lemieux or Orr could have been the greatest of all times.
Dave
Preroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:49 AM   #37
roo

i used to eat prostars. they had him on the cover. they taste like marshmallowless lucky charms.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote