TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Thomas Junta Sentenced 6-10 years.

Old 01-25-2002, 02:48 PM   #51
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by janiecakes:
but the coach wasn't hurting the kid, the other kids were hurting him.

the coach just wouldn't tell them to quit it.

the kid was fine, just got roughed up and wasn't used to it. the same kid was screaming at his father to stop punching the guy who died.
</font>

Listen you little skank, I know you hang out with Ry alot, but that doesn't give you the right to get all overly pedantic with me.

I know the coach wasn't physically hitting the kid, but he was encouraging other kids to, which is the exact opposite of what he supposed to do.

Now quit player hating.

The next time you try to employ some big dude to scare off Turbo slime balls, I hope the big dude tells you to "Report them to the league".

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:49 PM   #52
TRIBE Member

My dad was a hockey coach for 8 years. And I used to go to his games sometimes. I was always appalled by the type of encouragement parents think is healthy for their kids. It's usually very agressive and very competitive. Parents swear at other parents, they used to swear at the coaches. There was a fight once between two parents at one of my dad's games. Parents scream at their kids from the stands, and can actually be abusive.

All this to say that I think it's sad how the game isn't about all the things it should be. Like good sportsman-ship, health, community, discipline.

This guy didn't have any self-control. He was caught up in the moment and couldn't handle his emotions. He might have made a mistake and he'll probably learn from his lesson. He'll learn the hard way, hopefully many other parents will learn from his lesson too, and hopefully this kind of thing won't happen again.

Ming.
mingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:52 PM   #53
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 416:
Ya, the charge was manslaughter. He didn't intend to kill him, but he did. That's manslaughter, not murder.
</font>
I just wasnt sure if it was a 'murder' trial because it dealt with some kind of killing, or it was a manslaughter trial because of the verdict(meaning the type can only be declared after the fact).
It's a totally off topic question, so don't worry about it i guess.

Bass-Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #54
TRIBE Member

Quote:

The next time you try to employ some big dude to scare off Turbo slime balls, I hope the big dude tells you to "Report them to the league".
</font>
haha

first of all, i never try to EMPLOY you, you just position your big ugly rack between me and my potential suitor and you HOVER without provocation!

second of all, the coach wasn't encouraging the kids to be rough, he just wasn't telling them to stop.

and third of all, IT'S HOCKEY for fuck's sake. if you don't want your kids getting roughed up, then enroll them in a croquet league.

janiecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #55

Quote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
</font>
I can't wait to here an argument against this one..

Cannabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:55 PM   #56
TRIBE Member

bass invader, i believe that junta was never up on a murder charge, it was a manslaughter charge from the getgo.

Old 01-25-2002, 02:56 PM   #57
TRIBE Member

Ya, well whatever.

I'm gonna file a playa hating charge against all you mother fuckers.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:57 PM   #58

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hi i'm God:
Quote:
Originally posted by *labRat*:
he was sentenced with Involuntary Manslaughter - an unintentional killing committed recklessly, grossly negligently, or during commission of an unlawful act

--craig
</font>
If I accidently kill someone in a car accident, I hope I dont get this charge on top of assult with a deadly wepon...

you can be charged with manslaughter (involuntary or not) if you kill someone with the car you are driving.

--craig

ps. havin' problems with the 'a' key?
labRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:01 PM   #59

maybe hysterical was the wrong word, how about totally suspect? the witnesses were eitehr children or they changed their stories between giving their police statement and testifying at the trial.

i've never met 416 but i'm told he's big boy. i'm not too big by normal standards today, but i've been about the size i am now since i was 14 and as a kid i was always bigger than average. so yeah, there's no doubt that we sympathize with the big guy. i can't speak for 416 but i've had a lifetime of being physically attacked or picked on because i was one of the biggest around. little people always want to 'prove' themselves by attacking the big guy.

i'm a gentle person. i don't particularly like to fight. but i know that there are many little shits, and yes, i use the term shits because that is what they are, who get off on attacking bigger guys because they know that no matter what happens, the bigger man will be blamed.

yes, killing costin was undeniably wrong, but failing to totally fuck up a person who casually dismisses violence to children is also wrong.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:07 PM   #60
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rosey:
maybe hysterical was the wrong word, how about totally suspect? the witnesses were eitehr children or they changed their stories between giving their police statement and testifying at the trial.

i've never met 416 but i'm told he's big boy. i'm not too big by normal standards today, but i've been about the size i am now since i was 14 and as a kid i was always bigger than average. so yeah, there's no doubt that we sympathize with the big guy. i can't speak for 416 but i've had a lifetime of being physically attacked or picked on because i was one of the biggest around. little people always want to 'prove' themselves by attacking the big guy.

i'm a gentle person. i don't particularly like to fight. but i know that there are many little shits, and yes, i use the term shits because that is what they are, who get off on attacking bigger guys because they know that no matter what happens, the bigger man will be blamed.

yes, killing costin was undeniably wrong, but failing to totally fuck up a person who casually dismisses violence to children is also wrong.
</font>
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - martin luther king, jr.

the method in which you 'fuck up' this person is what is at issue in this case.

This verdict portrayed a message, if this message was not delivered what would it say about us, and to us?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:08 PM   #61
TRIBE Member

rosey!

THEY WERE PLAYING HOCKEY!

you can slant it so it sounds like the guy was letting children get slaughtered, but the fact remains it was some KIDS playing rough ON THE FREAKIN ICE!

ps. croquet.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:08 PM   #62
TRIBE Member

thanks to the 'words of wisdom' thread for the quote btw
Old 01-25-2002, 03:11 PM   #63

Quote:

Listen you little skank, I know you hang out with Ry alot, but that doesn't give you the right to get all overly pedantic with me.
</font>
woah, hold on here....you guys are friends and this is a friendly banter right? cause if it's not then you are way, way, over the line 416, like the line is a dot to you.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #64
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by *labRat*:
he was sentenced with Involuntary Manslaughter - an unintentional killing committed recklessly, grossly negligently, or during commission of an unlawful act

he got what he deserved - he should have known that by being a larger man he could've seriously hurt the other guy.

sometimes, you should just walk away.

--craig
</font>
What happens when you attempt to walk away and are violently chased? People say you can just step away and not hit back, that's not true. You don't hit back and you're the one on the ground with blood all over your face. Who's to say while taking a licking and not fighting back, that you don't get the unlucky blow that ends your life?

Not agreeing/disagreeing, I don't know enough about the case, just curious.

Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:16 PM   #65
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silverback:
What happens when you attempt to walk away and are violently chased? People say you can just step away and not hit back, that's not true. You don't hit back and you're the one on the ground with blood all over your face. Who's to say while taking a licking and not fighting back, that you don't get the unlucky blow that ends your life?

Not agreeing/disagreeing, I don't know enough about the case, just curious.

</font>
i would say fighting back is fine.
obviously that wasnt the case here though(self-defence) otherwise the court would've ruled otherwise.

Now im not saying the courts are flawless, but i will not press my judgment on this case based on my limited knowledge versus the judgment of a court.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:22 PM   #66
TRIBE Member

Quote:
woah, hold on here....you guys are friends and this is a friendly banter right? cause if it's not then you are way, way, over the line 416, like the line is a dot to you.</font>
it's cool rosey, we're friends. 'skank' is permissible.

but feel free to randomly assault him on my behalf regardless.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:22 PM   #67
TRIBE Member

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/680487.asp?cp1=1

Go read that.

The dude obviously got the heavy sentance cause he's a thug and cause he's big.

And the judge was probably 3'6.

Can we get some height stats on the jury up in here please?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:22 PM   #68
TRIBE Member

Quote:
woah, hold on here....you guys are friends and this is a friendly banter right? cause if it's not then you are way, way, over the line 416, like the line is a dot to you.</font>
Oh ya. We're friends. But that's besides the point. She is a skank.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:31 PM   #69
xlr

I believe that the sentance was to harsh, If the coach started the whole fight then he deserves what he got. i know it sounds harsh, but then so is life. In Canada and the United States, there is something called Mens Rea and Actus Rea (i think thats how u spell it) its latin, and it means for a person to be charged with something they have prove that the crime was committed and their was intent to commit the crime. I don't belive that junta Wanted to commit crime, he just lost his temper.

As for this big guy vs small guy dilema, a persons size should not have bearing on this type of situation- espically if the small guy is the one that provoked it. Another legal term comes into effect here, Im not sure if it is also followed in American law,
The law of equal force= if attacked, you are allowed to use equal force in order to defend yourself. Obivosly, Junta went to far, however, equal force is not the same between two different people of differnet sizes, I think that equal force is intended to be in the eye of the beholder(to a certain point)
Anyway- 6+ years is just not right.
xlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:33 PM   #70
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The fight was broken up and Junta left the rink, only to return a few minutes later.</font>
He went back into the rink, Jer. What for, any guesses? Self-defense practice.

Who knows what happened, all I know is that whatever was said in court is irrelevant, Im not naive to think whatever came out is the truth or the reality.

Maybe I should just follow 416's M.O. and back the smaller guy cuz Im short.

Right.
Hal-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:33 PM   #71
TRIBE Member

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/02...charges+.shtml

there are a bunch more articles in there on the little sidebar thingy.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:34 PM   #72

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by janiecakes:
it's cool rosey, we're friends. 'skank' is permissible.

but feel free to randomly assault him on my behalf regardless.
</font>
LOL - okay...dammit it's hard to be rude when you're chuckling to yourself.

he goes: 416 you're appearence is frightening to children. i had relations with your wife or husband. ummm, yeah, take that.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:35 PM   #73
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hal-9000:
He went back into the rink, Jer. What for, any guesses? Self-defense practice.
</font>
apparently it was because his kids were still inside.

Old 01-25-2002, 03:35 PM   #74
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xlr:
In Canada and the United States, there is something called Mens Rea and Actus Rea (i think thats how u spell it) its latin, and it means for a person to be charged with something they have prove that the crime was committed and their was intent to commit the crime. I don't belive that junta Wanted to commit crime, he just lost his temper.
</font>
MR and AR are indeed fundamental concepts in Law. However, there can be cases where one does the mens rea (the physical act) without the necessary intent (actus reus). An example of this is if you kill someone while driving.

HENCE Junta was convicted of manslaughter which is a lesser-degree murder (sort of). Manslaughter means he didn't intend to do this but it happened so he goes to jail and Rightfully so.

As for the height/size thing, what a joke this is. Now big-people are going to come up with support groups to defend their violent actions because they get picked on?

It doesnt matter if the judge was 3'6 (he prolly couldn't see if he was), or if the jury was. Any good lawyer would not allow a small jury so If Junta had a good lawyer this is not a valid argument here....

kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 03:38 PM   #75
TRIBE Member

sorry fucked up,

actus reus is guilty act
mens rea is intent

you'd think criminology would have taught me SOMETHING! damn B. A.!!
kuba is offline   Reply With Quote