TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Suggest a movie

Old 01-20-2002, 05:51 PM   #26
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by *labRat*:
Following is a bit of a sleeper at the beginning, it takes a while to get into it. the slow beginning brings you into the way that the main character is feeling. not much going on in his life, not much going on in hte movie. once he starts getting involved with his followees then things pick up.

as in Memento the director really does a good job in placing you in the head of the main character. slightly confusing you with splitting the time frame, giving you something to watch for. and the end ties everything together nicely.

--craig
</font>
If you have the DVD of memento, don't forget to watch it in reverse (its one of the "hidden" special features)... very cool. you'll understand the whole thing even better.

PS Another good movie to rent is "4 Dogs Playing Poker", its sort of like "Shallow Grave".
jason klaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:26 PM   #27
TRIBE Member

watch it backwards eh?

mental note: must get dvd player
must get memento on dvd

p[l]a+0
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:30 PM   #28
TRIBE Member

Chopper - Features Eric Bana (who is currently in Blackhawk Down) as Australia's best selling writer and notorious criminal. Eric Bana is starring in the screen adaptation of The Incredible Hulk in 2003 and is going to be a huge fucking movie star in the future (there is no doubt in my mind - the guy is just absolutely fucking brilliant).

From the Ministry of trying to locate it on DVD here.

Prime Minister Highsteppa
el presidente Highsteppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:32 PM   #29

debbie does dallas
new wave hookers 15
ready to drop 25-38
Old 01-20-2002, 11:34 PM   #30
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Plato:
watch it backwards eh?

mental note: must get dvd player
must get memento on dvd

p[l]a+0
</font>
This is only with the current Canadian released version by Alliance Atlantis, and it's its only extra feature, outside of the standard, multi language/trailer/cast and crew bios/film.

The U.S. DVD does not have this feature, but does have a commentary track by Christopher Nolan, and a whole whack of other features. Alliance Atlantis is going to be releasing a newer version of the DVD that will be similar to this, but I'm not sure as to whether or not the "Backwards/Linear" feature will be available.

From the Ministry of inside industry knowledge

Old 01-20-2002, 11:37 PM   #31

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jason klaps of blueprint:
If you have the DVD of memento, don't forget to watch it in reverse </font>
how do you watch a DVD in reverse? i don't own a player yet (haven't really seen a reason too) so iono about these whacky features.

and to watch in reverse kindah destroys the point of the movie. the timeline is key to understand the basis of his way of thinking and living.

--craig
labRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:40 PM   #32

not to mention the fact that that wouldn't really matter as half of the movie does go forwards... whats the point of watching it in reverse then? you see the colour stuff forward instead of the black and white... yay!
Magnolia Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 11:41 PM   #33
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by *labRat*:
how do you watch a DVD in reverse? i don't own a player yet (haven't really seen a reason too) so iono about these whacky features.

and to watch in reverse kindah destroys the point of the movie. the timeline is key to understand the basis of his way of thinking and living.

--craig
</font>
there's a code that you enter and you are able to watch the film in a linear format, and the story really suffers because of it. But, at the same time, it is interesting to watch, as you can pick up on the smaller details and gaps that the story has (but, these gaps are intentional, I think, as it leaves us to share the same problems that Lenoard Shelby has with his memory and how unreliable he is).

From the Ministry of there's an easter egg website that lists all easter eggs, I'll try and dig up the link

Old 01-20-2002, 11:54 PM   #34

The Lion In Winter - 1969, starring Peter O'Toole, Kathrine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins, et. al. Henry II and Eleanor Of Acquitaine struggle with their bitter family feud whilst deciding which of ther 3 sons will be the successor to the throne. Tina and I loved this movie for it's amazing wit and generally dark disposition. Plus, it is medeival and it is epic!

The Bridge Over The River Kwai - Sir Alec Guiness in his classic role as Fergusson, a British army officer in a Japanese POW camp during WWII. I don't need to sell this movie's greatness. After all, it won 7 academy awards.

El Cid - Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren star in this leviathon of a film about a young Spanish nobleman who wins the respect of his European and Moorish peers while preparing to defend against an invasion of his homeland from a dark force lurking overseas. Chivalry and Heston's classic 'Cast Of Thousands' at it's best.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Whether you see the Orson Welles' original, or the remake they are currently caning on A&E, this is a great movie about the gilded era in the U.S. Decadence, incest and downfall, this movie has been surrounded in controversy almost from the moment Welles adapted Booth Tarkington's novel into his screenplay.

There's Only One Jimmy Grimble - This movie stars the same actor that played 'Billy Elliot'. A story about the love of football (soccer) and one boys belief that a pair of magic boots are helping him score goals and changing his life. A classic 'rite of passage' story that takes place in Manchester, England. Robert Carlyle stars as a former Manchester City player and coach of the boy. Great if you love British films, and soccer. Manchester United references are rampany as well.

Greg
~soulheaven~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:41 AM   #35

http://www.dvdeastereggs.com

lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:48 AM   #36
KiX
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ~soulheaven~:

The Lion In Winter - 1969, starring Peter O'Toole, Kathrine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins, et. al. Henry II and Eleanor Of Acquitaine struggle with their bitter family feud whilst deciding which of ther 3 sons will be the successor to the throne. Tina and I loved this movie for it's amazing wit and generally dark disposition. Plus, it is medeival and it is epic!

The Bridge Over The River Kwai - Sir Alec Guiness in his classic role as Fergusson, a British army officer in a Japanese POW camp during WWII. I don't need to sell this movie's greatness. After all, it won 7 academy awards.

El Cid - Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren star in this leviathon of a film about a young Spanish nobleman who wins the respect of his European and Moorish peers while preparing to defend against an invasion of his homeland from a dark force lurking overseas. Chivalry and Heston's classic 'Cast Of Thousands' at it's best.
</font>
I came on here to reccomend all that shit and i was so confused as why someone watched all the movies we just watched.

But then i saw your name and it all made sense.

=tina=
KiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:51 AM   #37
TRIBE Member

Location: didn't you kill didn't you kill, didn't you kill my brother?
Hudsucker Proxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JEMZ is offline   Reply With Quote