Quantcast
Travel back in time... - Page 3 - TRIBE MAGAZINE
TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Travel back in time...

Old 01-15-2002, 07:54 PM   #51
TRIBE Member

I would go to about 1984 and on the set of "facts of life" and tell the fat girl she will be called the "fat girl form facts of life" forever!
terrawrist III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #52

Actually, my second year at Queen's, I took a course on Ancient Greek and cuneform languages. It would be a challenge, but I think this whole exercise is fantasy and assumes we would get to communicate with the people we went back intime to visit.....If not, alot of good those travelling to see the Egyptians and Mayans will have......but lets assume that you somehow could just speak the language when you got there.

In any event, pure observation would suit me just fine.....

7. The last one would be to visit Akhenaten during his reign as Pharoh. His Religion Of Light was touted by many as the first to conceptualize a monotheistic tradition (although his motives for destroying the Egyptian Pantheon of gods has now been deemed for more of a personal gain than prophetic-type motives). I would love to see this peaceful religion that this man brought about, not to mention his gorgeous wife Nefertiti...who is said to be the most gorgeous woman in Egyptian royalty.....and then I would want to see who killed his famous boy-king grandson.....Tutankhamen

Greg
~soulheaven~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:06 PM   #53

I would go back to the day that Eve ate the apple, and stop her. Then we would all be naked all the time!
BassInMyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:11 PM   #54
TRIBE Member

I'm going to Woodstock baby.
Cheer Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:40 PM   #55
Che

Go back and visit Studio 54, the Paradise Garage and The Hacienda in all their glory days.

New York in the 1930's. The "Gatsby" Era, when it was all about showing off, and partying in style.

Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #56
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ~soulheaven~:

1.) To visit the Roman Principate during the reign of Trajan (who was the greatest emperor in all facilities)
2.) To visit Greece just before the Pelopennesian War
3.) To meet the man who wrote meditations on being the philosopher-king that he simply titled:
4.) To Ancient Greece cica 467 B.C.
5.) To meet and converse with Epicurus
6.) To travel back to the Roman Pricipate under Nero. </font>
What the.... could it be another Classical Studies student? You sir, know what you're talking about.

On a bit of a curiously morbid note, I'd like to see the Colleseum in it's prime. I'm not sure if I believe the stories about using Christians as human torches to light the arena, but I think seeing the entire floor filled with water in a reinactment of some of the greatest sea battles of all times (complete with real death scenes... no faking here) would be amazing.

Also, I'd love to see what went on at the Academy. Not when they were teaching boys about math and geometry, but when the real students and masters were discussing the pursuit of truth.

Seeing some of the political speeches and debates during the Peloponnesian War would also be fascinating... their grasp of language and speech far surpasses our own and it would be interesting to see if they were as convincing in person as they appear in text.

If I could be a fly on the wall, I'd also like to go into the inner chambers of the Oracle, where the priestesses sat on a tripod, inhaled drugs, and came up with their predictions.

Attending the Olympic Games to witness some of the legendary athletes who became legends in their own time, and events like the pancrateon which would never be allowed in today's games.

Going back to 6th or 7th century Sparta, to actually see a hoplite phalanx in action while they were in their prime... I've wondered if their warfare was actually as ritualistic and horrifying as it has been described.

Hmmm, maybe if I'm lucky I can go live an entire life in ancient Greece and then return here...

Rob
DJ Doublecross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 12:41 AM   #57
TRIBE Member

I would go back three years and tell my mom I love her
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:01 AM   #58
TRIBE Member

San Fransisco - 1967

France - hight of the Impressionist movement.

Scarborough - 1977, It'd be cool to see my sister as a baby.

North Amarica - Cretacious, being at the top of the food chain is so over rated!
Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:03 AM   #59
TRIBE Member

oh and Rome - 16something to meet Michealangelo would be fuck cool
Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 03:23 AM   #60
TRIBE Member

oh and i go back and hang out with jesus...
to see if all this hub bub is real

and he always had hookers around him
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 04:37 AM   #61
TRIBE Member

Cool thread. I have many choices but most of them basically boils down to visiting the time periods at which some of the great civiliations are at their heights. This inlcudes: Romans, Greeks, Chinese, Egyptians, etc. I also would like to add medevil period to the list.

In more recent history, I think it would be interesting to travel back to the time of the Great Depression and WWII. I wouldn't want to experience it, but it would be great if I can just observe.

Pete

ps. Let me play thread/logic police for a minute. Suppose time travel is possible it does not allow you to understand new languages when you travel back in time, so some of your choices would not be valid.
SneakyPete is offline   Reply With Quote