Rogers messing with things? - TRIBE MAGAZINE
TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Rogers messing with things?

Old 01-14-2002, 10:53 AM   #1
TRIBE Member

Rogers messing with things?

Anyone else here use XP and the remote desktop stuff? My home machine is running fine IP pingable etc etc ... but I can't connect to it. Some others have mentioned that Rogers has been doing some screwy stuff lately. Would they be blocking certain ports or anything?
juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 10:56 AM   #2
TRIBE Member

things have been fucked up since rogers took over the whole network.
their DNS servers are so slow that it takes almost a minute at certain times just to look up the ip for a domain.

i've also heard of IP collisions happening lately, where the DHCP is giving out leases on the same ip's and it's fucking people up.

can i answer your question? NO.

stir-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:06 AM   #3
TRIBE Member

The only thing that hasn't changed is my IP I've had the same one for 3 years now and I don't pay for a static one ... boo rogers you suck I want to be able to get to my home box from work
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
TRIBE Member

The solution is easy. Use pcAnywhere.

-- Jay aka Fut
futronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:13 AM   #5
TRIBE Member

What's your username, password, and IP. Let me...errr..check for you.
Balzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
TRIBE Member

Well using PCA under XP was supposed to screw up the fast users stuff ... no? I'm going to install it anyway I guess. What version of it are you using for XP?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
TRIBE Member

pcA version 10 works under XP. It kind of messes up the login process if you are prompted to log into your machine on boot. But other than that, it's great, and much faster than an MS shit.

-- Jay aka Fut
futronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:55 AM   #8
TRIBE Member

juice, are you trying to connect to your computer from work? Are you behind a firewall and/or proxy?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:17 PM   #9
TRIBE Member

rogers has also put restrictions on their email service, i can't send emails to more than approx 20 recipients @ a time, what kind of limitation is that? i could understand 100/500 or whatever but 20...

when i approached them about it they denied that there were any restrictions on their email service. They said it should be fine, i've tried with several personal emails to send to 50 recipients to no avail.

Is this not breach of contract?

Kyfe
kyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:54 PM   #10
TRIBE Member

Not sure if it works on XP, but here's what I think is the best.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:13 PM   #11

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eclectic:
Not sure if it works on XP, but here's what I think is the best.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

</font>

VNC is good, but Net Support is much better, allows file transfers and other cool stuff...sorry i don't have a link...

Astroboy out...
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 03:02 PM   #12
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Balzz:
juice, are you trying to connect to your computer from work? Are you behind a firewall and/or proxy?</font>
Yeah we are behind one but have specific ways of getting out. The connection to home has worked up until last week, and others in the office can still get to their home back. Must be the changes Rogers has done in my neighbourhood or something like that. Oh well I'm going to install PCA 10X when I get home and see if that helps.

Old 01-15-2002, 07:26 AM   #13

I have freakin tech support on speed dial since my connection has been useless 80% of the time. (I got signed up the same day everyone switched to rogers fro @home).

Well they've known about the problem since Dec. 6th.. IP collisions with the DHCP that assigns you an ip and takes it back again. It appears to work ok except you can't actually access anything.

They claim to be working on it.. blah blah.. they claim to have Lucent bastards down there duking it out with the hardware. Mostly I get a different story every time I call. Apparently it only affects a smallish percentage of customers (I'm in London by the way), so be sure and complain and get some credit on your bill.

Still waiting for a stable connection..

Peter
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 07:29 AM   #14
TRIBE Member

switch to sympatico dsl if u want stable

signed up last february.. has not gone down 1 single time.

absolutely no problem.

Dave
MalGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:35 AM   #15

Fuck Rogers and their shit-ass email server.
Vidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:50 AM   #16
TRIBE Member

It's always with the email servers...

I called once a while back when the connection was down for just me (I assume this because I waited less than 20 minutes on hold). Not my email connection, but my internet connection.

After describing my problem to knob #1 on the phone, I wait while he discusses it, presumably with knob #2 for a minute, and then he comes back to me with this explanation:

"yeah... we're uh... having problems with our email servers".

If I could reach through the phone and slap that sonofabitch across the head I would have.

I've even known people who have worked for Rogers tech support and quit in frustration days later because everyone there is a complete moron. I swear they just upgraded to Monkey1.0 from the beta version last week. The total IQ in their tech department can't be much higher than the average age.

But..... all in all I can't really complain about my connection. It's still up 99% of the time, and never really slow.

Pete
Subsonic Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #17
TRIBE Member

I'm running Bell ADSL and Rogers concurrently right now. I get more consistent ping responses to my Rogers gateway from my Bell connection than my Rogers. Rogers still refuses to acknowledge there's a problem.

As an example of how poorly planned the Rogers network is - when I plug the Rogers connection into my switch, Rogers allows DHCP broadcasts into their network and I begin to lease IPs from my pool of private IPs. Go Rogers.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:01 AM   #18
TRIBE Member

Oh, to add to that - since the default gateway given out by my DHCP server is the router to my ADSL connection, the people on my Rogers segment who get IP addresses from me start to access the Internet through MY DSL connection.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:04 AM   #19
TRIBE Member

one tip i have for avoiding phone line frustrations is, as soon as tech support picks up the phone, tell the person to escalate you to third level techsupport.
tell them that you know what the problem is, and that they won't be able to help you in 1st level.
that way you get a more technical person on the phone, and the stress level is quickly relieved.

stir-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 11:35 AM   #20
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Balzz:
the people on my Rogers segment who get IP addresses from me start to access the Internet through MY DSL connection. </font>

LOL!
Hal-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote