TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

type of utensils to use on cast iron frying pan

Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
TRIBE Promoter

type of utensils to use on cast iron frying pan

I just picked up a ceramic coated cast iron frying pan. Can I use metal spatulas on it? Or should I stick with silicone? I don't want to damage the surface.
dj Red Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
TRIBE Member

Wood or plastic (teflon)... For health reasons wood would be best...
cosmosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #3

wood
Rajio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
TRIBE Promoter

don't risk it. order in.
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
TRIBE Member

I use anything in my cast iron. Once you get it seasoned and broken in its pretty indestructible. Metal tongs, spatula, forks, etc.

hmm after re-reading, is it ceramic coated only on the outside or on the inside also? My ceramic coated inside one tended to burn once it lost its shine. I don't use that one anymore...
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj Red Turtle View Post
I just picked up a ceramic coated cast iron frying pan. Can I use metal spatulas on it? Or should I stick with silicone? I don't want to damage the surface.
Where is it ceramic coated? Outside, inside or both?
Subsonic Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
SJN
TRIBE Member

If it's a traditional real cast iron pan, then you can use anything in it once it's properly seasoned. If it's got some sort of coating on it (which defeats the purpose of having a proper cast iron pan), then there may be some limitations.
SJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
TRIBE Member

I'm assuming Turtle has something like a Le Crueset or Staub where it's enameled cast iron. In which case, not metal. Wood, silicone, plastic, whatever.

Also, don't use an SOS pad when cleaning it. The metal will scratch the surface. Use one of those 3M sponges that has the "plastic" scouring side.

-- Jay aka Fut
futronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
TRIBE Member

Did you get one of those red ones? Like a skillet that's cast iron but coated on the outside?
I doubt it's ceramic. Are you sure it's ceramic?

It might be enamel? Like this?

Or did you get a Creuset pan that is cast iron but there's so black visible? Because you can use anything on that as you're not scratching any kind of seasoned surface.
MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
TRIBE Member

Hey Jay, I want your advice.
I have read many many many different opinions.

Should I rinse off a cast iron skillet or griddle?
I'm just scraping off any burnt bits with wood. And rinsing it a bit with warm water and scraping it with a soft nylon brush that's cast iron safe, no soap. Then wiping off excess with a paper towel, drying it completely with a towel and then re-seasoning it with some vegetable oil (as instructed by the pan's pamphlet).

But some people are telling me:
- ALWAYS wash it with soap as you'll get sick
- don't use veggie oil, use lard (I don't really want to buy lard lol)
- fry some bacon in it and leave it
- use veggie oil but rub it when it's on a low heat on the stove top
- don't EVER wash it at all with any water, just wipe it with a towel and that's it
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
TRIBE Promoter

i picked up one from Ikea. Its ceramic on the outside and a matte enameled on the inside. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00131727

Last edited by dj Red Turtle; 01-22-2009 at 11:17 AM.
dj Red Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
TRIBE Member

A good way to clean residue in a cast iron pan is to use coarse salt and a paper towel.
OutcastTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosuave View Post
Wood or plastic (teflon)... For health reasons wood would be best...

There's a reason SOP's in food processing facilities call for no wood use. It holds bacteria very readily both on the surface and within due to it's porous nature!
isoprax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
TRIBE Member

Edit: i see.
man_slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
Hey Jay, I want your advice.
I have read many many many different opinions.

Should I rinse off a cast iron skillet or griddle?
I'm just scraping off any burnt bits with wood. And rinsing it a bit with warm water and scraping it with a soft nylon brush that's cast iron safe, no soap. Then wiping off excess with a paper towel, drying it completely with a towel and then re-seasoning it with some vegetable oil (as instructed by the pan's pamphlet).

But some people are telling me:
- ALWAYS wash it with soap as you'll get sick
- don't use veggie oil, use lard (I don't really want to buy lard lol)
- fry some bacon in it and leave it
- use veggie oil but rub it when it's on a low heat on the stove top
- don't EVER wash it at all with any water, just wipe it with a towel and that's it
Hey Sunny,

As Outcast said, coarse sea salt and a paper towel. Although some people frown on this, I also add a bit of water so the sea salt ends up almost as an abrasive paste. Then you can scrub it with the paper towels. Rinse, dry thoroughly with more paper towels, and then I add a drop or two of vegetable oil and reseason the pan. That's it.

-- Jay aka Fut
futronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
TRIBE Member

I just use hot water and a quick scrub to clean it. I've been doing it this way for years without any problems. I have a problem wasting paper towels or salt just to clean it.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
TRIBE Promoter

The enamel makes a HUGE difference. IF it's got an enamel coating, then you can't treat it like a bare cast iron pan.

I'd even be weary using salt on enamel - and stick to hard plastic scrub pads (the ones made to look like steel wool, but are plastic)

For utensils - wood, ALL the way.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
TRIBE Member

Quote:
i picked up one from Ikea. Its ceramic on the outside and a matte enameled on the inside. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00131727
The wooden handle really limits the usefulness!
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

tobywan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futronic View Post
Hey Sunny,

As Outcast said, coarse sea salt and a paper towel. Although some people frown on this, I also add a bit of water so the sea salt ends up almost as an abrasive paste. Then you can scrub it with the paper towels. Rinse, dry thoroughly with more paper towels, and then I add a drop or two of vegetable oil and reseason the pan. That's it.

-- Jay aka Fut
Sea salt eh? Cool. I'll try that.
But so far, my pan has been pretty clean even with scraping it with a chopstick (I cook with chopsticks usually, not spatulas).

But I didn't know if you were an advocate of never washing it ever.

And I'm reading that veggie oil is only recommended by people because it's a food safety issue but animal fat is preferred because it's less likely to go rancid?
Anyway, thanks.

I guess as long as it's dry and seasoned, it should be fine.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Oh Turts we should have talked! My mom has this pan and it sucks. It doesn't season and it isn't non stick. Gotta use a tonne of oil with it.

She was looking for an good iron pan with enamel only on the outside (hard to find) because she has a ceramic top stove (can put cast iron on it). I found her this one at Ikea and we thought it was just iron inside, but it almost seems like it has some kind of weird coating on the inside that isn't enamel...but it's black...matte enamel you say? Whatever it is it sucks. Anyway, a year later and it still isn't seasoned. And you can't put it in the oven because of the wood handle.

I think Le Cruset makes an enamel on the outside only pan.

Last edited by kick; 01-22-2009 at 02:02 PM.
kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
TRIBE Member

Btw, if people are interested, you can go to the William Sonoma at Eaton Centre, you can surprisingly find a cast iron skillet for under $40. A real one made in Georgia by Lodge. Not any of that "Made in China" bullshit cast iron at Winners or Canadian Tire.

They're $70 at the Bay so it didn''t make any sense to me.

I'm picking up a few for gifts next week.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #23
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick View Post
Oh Turts we should have talked! My mom has this pan and it sucks. It doesn't season and it isn't non stick. Gotta use a tonne of oil with it.

She was looking for an good iron pan with enamel only on the outside (hard to find) because she has a ceramic top stove (can put cast iron on it). I found her this one at Ikea and we thought it was just iron inside, but it almost seems like it has some kind of weird coating on the inside that isn't enamel...but it's black...whatever it is it sucks. Anyway, a year later and it still isn't season. And you can't put it in the oven because of the wood handle.

I think Le Cruset makes an enamel on the outside only pan.
That's not a cast iron pan per se, right? Because it says the surface is enameled. And with real cast iron, you should have to season it to make it eventually completely non-stick.

Turtle, go return that pan and go to William Sonoma and pick up one of these:

$39.99 as I mentioned. Don't go to the Bay or Sears. They're $69.99 and not on sale.
They also have other sizes, griddles and the Creuset stuff is right behind it. Though Creuset is cheaper at the Bay and it's on sale.
http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Make sure it's made in the US.

Wagner makes good pans too but they can be pricey.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_bRAD View Post
I just use hot water and a quick scrub to clean it. I've been doing it this way for years without any problems. I have a problem wasting paper towels or salt just to clean it.
Ya, I'm with you on that. I'll try it once but I don't like throwing out paper towels and salt either. I've been thinking about getting a few really good towels that are solely for my cast iron pans. I wonder if they make cast iron pan cleaning stuff like specialty towels or scrubs.

A soft nylon brush works fine actually.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFo View Post
That's not a cast iron pan per se, right? Because it says the surface is enameled. And with real cast iron, you should have to season it to make it eventually completely non-stick.

Turtle, go return that pan and go to William Sonoma and pick up one of these:

$39.99 as I mentioned. Don't go to the Bay or Sears. They're $69.99 and not on sale.
They also have other sizes, griddles and the Creuset stuff is right behind it. Though Creuset is cheaper at the Bay and it's on sale.
http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Make sure it's made in the US.

Wagner makes good pans too but they can be pricey.
Loblaw's also sells Lodge cast Iron Pans for around the same price ( actually, a little cheaper I think)
OutcastTO is offline   Reply With Quote