Mel's Angels? - TRIBE MAGAZINE
TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Mel's Angels?

Old 01-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
TRIBE Member

Mel's Angels?

Who else is pissed about Mel chillin' with some of the Hell's Angels?

He's SUCH an idiot that man. He goes over there knowing full-well that bikers will be there, shakes their hands says welcome to Toronto, even accepts gifts from them before heading back to his office all proud.

Then when the shit hits the fan he starts throwing out crap about how he was "scared" of them... about how he didn't go over there to welcome them to the city, and blah blah blah.

He's representing every citizen of Toronto when he shakes the hand of crime. If he's too scared, and can't take the heat, then he needs to get the hell out of the kitchen.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">From the Toronto Star article:
The reaction was no less muted in Toronto, where members of the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee expressed disgust that the mayor could find time for the Hells Angels but not Toronto's poorest.

"We have written, we have visited his office," said Cathy Crowe, a committee nurse. Members said they were angry and frustrated that the mayor would greet Hells Angels on the first day of their convention, while they have been turned down 18 times in their quest for a sit-down with Lastman to discuss the plight of Toronto's homeless.

The bikers themselves kept up their public relations offensive yesterday, handing out $20 bills to homeless people as television cameras rolled.
</font>
What a fool.

Pete
Subsonic Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #2
TRIBE Member

You really gotta wonder about this guy huh?
AdamAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
TRIBE Member

maybe it was a plight to avoid any trouble. maybe he figured if he acted like their friend, they would avoid trashing the city.
ignorant question: i recognize that Hell's Angels are involved with criminal activity..but as of right now, just them being here, and hanging out, they arent causing trouble, so whats the big deal? After talking/spending time with them at WEMF, i have a good impression of them...whats the deal?
SUNKIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:45 AM   #4
TRIBE Member

ya well Mel's just a Moron anyway.

He'll do ANYTHING for publicity. He'd probably skate naked through Nathan Philips if he thought he'd get some "good" publicity out of it.

Oh wait I take that back, it doesn't have to be GOOD publicity, he'll take it any way he can.

Lemmie ask you guys a question?

Could Mel be considered an Attention Whore? Or maybe that's another thread al together.

LeoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:47 AM   #5

wah-wah-wah-wah

who fucking cares? our leaders shake hands with heads of nations that have murdered countless numbers of their own citizens, with CEOs of companies that employee slave labour and pollute every freaking corner of the globe. does anybody complain then?

i'm just angry because it gave that fucktard fantino some fuel for his politcal fire.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:50 AM   #6
TRIBE Member

I am completely pissed that he did that!!!

The last thing we want is the Angels controlling this city like they do with Montreal!
poker face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SUNKIST:
ignorant question: i recognize that Hell's Angels are involved with criminal activity..but as of right now, just them being here, and hanging out, they arent causing trouble, so whats the big deal? After talking/spending time with them at WEMF, i have a good impression of them...whats the deal?</font>
I'm sure that a lot of them aren't "bad" people at heart, but they're a criminal gang and are gonna be involved in crime no matter what. The biker wars in Quebec have claimed many lives and sent hundreds to the hospital. They control the drug trade, prostitution, and other stuff.

Them being here is a sign that they want a piece of Toronto. Lastman going and shaking their hands is basically welcoming them to Toronto, while the RCMP, as well as local and provincial police have been busting their asses for years trying to take them down. Although there's nothing really wrong with them just coming to party and hang out, it must be remembered what they would bring to Toronto if they wanted to stay a bit longer.

Pete
Old 01-14-2002, 11:55 AM   #8
TRIBE Member

Quote:
ignorant question: i recognize that Hell's Angels are involved with criminal activity..but as of right now, just them being here, and hanging out, they arent causing trouble, so whats the big deal? After talking/spending time with them at WEMF, i have a good impression of them...whats the deal?</font>
My quick, somewhat but not completely accurate answer...

Hell's Angels are more likely to be involved in criminal type activities when they're NOT wearing their colours.

IMO, I don't think there's anything to worry about unless your type that finds yourself in trouble on a regular basis. I grew up with bikers and was man-handled by big scary bikers when I was a baby.

They're all softies really. Just don't fuck with their women or their bikes. No biggie.

LeoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 AM   #9
TRIBE Member

Well, at least the Angels didn't start stewing him and his wife in a big pot.
Balzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:00 PM   #10
TRIBE Member

Quote:
question: i recognize that Hell's Angels are involved with criminal activity..but as of right now, just them being here, and hanging out, they arent causing trouble...whats the deal?</font>
Just one thing to add; I beleive this weekend of theirs brought about $600K to the city from their tourist spending. Most of it was probably proceeds of crime.
Cheap Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 PM   #11
TRIBE Member

It bugs me that the Hell's Angels are allowed to hold something like this. It is a celebration of crime and violence. There's a reason there leader is up on charges right now. Bikers have been romantized by Hollywood and that is why Mel allows them to have this event.

Do you think Los Angeles would allow a Crip convention?!?

Bumbaclat
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:05 PM   #12
TRIBE Member

I think Mel should have gone to greet them in a Rock Machine jacket...
Cheap Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:06 PM   #13
TRIBE Member

this was certainly an interesting weekend. some bars and clubs openly welcomed the hell's angels because they were throwing around so much cash. on the other hand, it IS common knowledge that they are involved in organized crime. the cops are so powerless to stop them that they are rallying politicians to make gang membership *itself* a crime.

i don't know if any organization has flaunted its illegal activity so blatently since prohibition-era mobsters.

big mel shaking a biker's hand is like the mayor of chicago shaking al capone's hand. dude needs a new PR team for sure.
Klubmasta Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:07 PM   #14
TRIBE Member

They're just a big bunch of teddy bears in my opinion.

Personally its another group that I support the use of live ammunition on.
Ditto Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #15

In any case Mel is still retarded...I miss Barbra Hall!
FunK_DoCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #16
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bumbaclat:
It bugs me that the Hell's Angels are allowed to hold something like this. It is a celebration of crime and violence. </font>
Mel tries his hardest to outlaw raves because of some hyped-up dangers that they pose to kids, yet he welcomes a criminal gang the city to host their convention.

Pete
Old 01-14-2002, 12:33 PM   #17
TRIBE Member

I don't understand why there was so much fuss over this.
Daytona, Florida hosts Bike Week every year and half a million 'bikers' show up.
"No colours, no attitude" is the norm there and everyone gets along just fine.
In fact, upon talking to people in the area, they preferred the bikers over the spring break students.
They spend money in the city and don't trash everything in sight.
It isn't like they would have walked around Toronto "breaking the law" at every step.
Plus it isn't like we don't already have a handful of other groups established in this city and every city across the province. There are chapters everywhere.
Mel is such an uninformed goon, and his little display was pathetic.
Why doesn't he pay that much attention to others in this city that need our help.
PinkAngeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:40 PM   #18
TRIBE editor

Mel is a monkey. What was Fantino's reaction to all this?
alexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:43 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PinkAngeL:
Daytona, Florida hosts Bike Week every year and half a million 'bikers' show up.
"No colours, no attitude" is the norm there and everyone gets along just fine.

</font>
"Bike Week" is celebrating a shared love of motor bikes. Hell's Angel weekend is celebrating murder and meth dealing.

I've been in Daytona for Bike Week and it is not all peachy. Many fights and many locals are VERY scared. Many plan to be away if possible.

Bumbaclat
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 12:56 PM   #20
TRIBE Member

But on the same note, there is just as much violence here on a daily basis with "regular people".
Can't count how many drunken fights I have seen, how many injuries I have witnessed over the years.
PinkAngeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:02 PM   #21
TRIBE Member

Quote:
See, "the deal" is exactly what you said about criminal activity....yeah, so they wanted to have their party weekend, and not 'cause any trouble, but the criminal activity that they are involved in isn't what we see on the streets...they're a highly organized group, and they should not be taken lightly in any situation...I wish people would realize this, no matter how "nice" these guys seem.

Bias

tobywan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:05 PM   #22
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">.
They're all softies really. Just don't fuck with their women or their bikes. No biggie.

[/B]</font>

"my wife is not a doobie to be passed around"
Jennika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:09 PM   #23
TRIBE editor

If Fantino budgeted less for PR for himself & the TO police department, maybe he might have the money to direct toward crime.
alexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 01:14 PM   #24
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by alexd:
Mel is a monkey. What was Fantino's reaction to all this?</font>
Fantino was pissed, so were most cops who have ever had to work on organized crime, so was the mother of an 11-year old who was killed from a pipe-bomb in the biker war.

Pete
Old 01-14-2002, 01:17 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

Quote:
maybe it was a plight to avoid any trouble. maybe he figured if he acted like their friend, they would avoid trashing the city.
ignorant question: i recognize that Hell's Angels are involved with criminal activity..but as of right now, just them being here, and hanging out, they arent causing trouble, so whats the big deal? After talking/spending time with them at WEMF, i have a good impression of them...whats the deal?
</font>

Go to an Ottawa party and you will get a MUCH different impression of hells angels.

They have succeeded in getting the best after hours bar in the city closed down, and 2 weekends ago some hells angels guys with guns came into a party. I also fondly remember walking into the bathroom at Atomic and seeing a guy laying on the floor bleeding, surrounded by cops. He was stabbed by some hells angels guys over a drug deal. The bouncers of the club let the guys in without searching them cause 'they were his friends.'

dan.

Sporty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote