TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Less bicycle theft now?

Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
TRIBE Member

Just got back from the vet (next door to Igor). The cops have been there all day, and still are. Not only was he stashing bikes in sheds, but he was also hanging them from the trees behind the so-called shop. Apparently. it looked like some kind of serious art installation back there. People have been dropping by all day, looking to see if their stolen bikes were there.
kirstenmeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #27
TRIBE Member

Topless man with anti theft idea

spaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeryan
a few months ago Igor started loading bikes and other random crap into 2 of the abandoned stables in the laneway behind my house. i wonder if i should report it...
Do it!

I hope he finally gets shut down.
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #29
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenmeows
Just got back from the vet (next door to Igor). The cops have been there all day, and still are. Not only was he stashing bikes in sheds, but he was also hanging them from the trees behind the so-called shop. Apparently. it looked like some kind of serious art installation back there. People have been dropping by all day, looking to see if their stolen bikes were there.
we saw the inside of that place not too long ago. night, the front door was open. a load of random bikes on the street and inside was a sight worthy of a tim burton movie. we didn't go in tho. scary.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #30
TRIBE Member

This is hilarious. I knew Igor's was a slightly sketchy operation, but I wouldn't have suspected that he'd actually orchestrate burglary missions. He's like this cliché who everyone hates on, but I honestly thought he was better than this. What a wank. I'm sure we'll be seeing crusted egg yolks on his "store front" soon.
Joe Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
TRIBE Member

many years ago there was a story going around that he was digging a tunnel in his basement underneath queen street.

all along queen yesterday there were photocopies of this news story taped to poles, with "IGOR BUSTED!" written on them.
why not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #32
TRIBE Member

Just heard from someone that they found 150 stolen bikes, cocaine and weed in Igor's today. This may or may not be true.
Joe Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM   #33
TRIBE Member

I heard they caught him doing rails off a Barenaked Ladies CD case.
AdRiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #34
TRIBE Member

I know someone who owns a bike.. i hope they're okay.
KiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Seven
Just heard from someone that they found 150 stolen bikes, cocaine and weed in Igor's today. This may or may not be true.
sounds about right.

i knew someone who briefly worked there, and from what he said, it sounded like igor was dealing out of there.
surprisingly, he didn't notice anything related to stolen bikes going on, but then again, my acquaintance wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the room.
why not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #36
TRIBE Member

my crappy canadian tire bike from last year just got stolen last night, right at college and yonge.

-jebac

ps: despite it being crappy i still used it every day! i needed that bike!
jebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #37
TRIBE Member

IGOR's CHOP SHOP IS GONE?! *rejoices*
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #38
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Seven
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24870.aspx

Stolen bike open house!
rejenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #39
TRIBE Promoter

Now that the police *finally* busted Igor's they should now focus on Comfort Zone
exrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #40
TRIBE Member

http://bikereg.torontopolice.on.ca/B...egistry/Submit
sianspherica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #41
TRIBE Member

My bf just bought me an awesome new bike! Can't wait to go for a ride. I will definitely register it though...it's 'spensive!
Beer babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #42
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebac
my crappy canadian tire bike from last year just got stolen last night, right at college and yonge.

-jebac

ps: despite it being crappy i still used it every day! i needed that bike!
you could have bought a cheap one from igor... he's not all that bad.
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #43
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer babe
My bf just bought me an awesome new bike! Can't wait to go for a ride. I will definitely register it though...it's 'spensive!
Things I have learned:

a) While your boyfriend may or may not be awesome, the bike he bought you is.
b) You can't wait to go for a ride - either on the bike or your boyfriend, I'm not sure which.
c) The awesome bike your boyfriend bought you is an expensive one.
d) You had nothing to say about Igor, but still wanted to awesomely contribute to this awesome thread about Igor, who is somewhat less than awesome.

Did I miss anything?
WestsideWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #44
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideWax
Things I have learned:

a) While your boyfriend may or may not be awesome, the bike he bought you is.
b) You can't wait to go for a ride - either on the bike or your boyfriend, I'm not sure which.
c) The awesome bike your boyfriend bought you is an expensive one.
d) You had nothing to say about Igor, but still wanted to awesomely contribute to this awesome thread about Igor, who is somewhat less than awesome.

Did I miss anything?
e) Due to it's expensive nature, the bike will be registered.
Had it not been so expensive, the drive to register said bike would not be as strong.
KiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #45
TRIBE Member

f) However, now that Igor is busted, Toronto is now bike-crime free. Go ahead, leave your bike unlocked and unregistered.
g) Toronto is now 100% dry of weed and coke
kaniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #46
TRIBE Member

Won't work

Last edited by spaboy; 07-18-2008 at 07:25 PM.
spaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #47
TRIBE Member

his trailers just got raided.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24911.aspx"]http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_24911.aspx[/URL]
sweet.
ndrwrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 PM   #48
TRIBE Member

I'm kind of surprised nothing bad happened to Igor before his arrest.
Boss Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #49
TRIBE Member

Probably because he's "Judo-trained and admittedly "out there"" and according to below, he's punched people who have accused him of bike theft.

Doing a search for the scumbag's mug, I came across the gem below. It's a section quoted from a Bike Theft article that came out in the Toronto Sun just a few days before his arrest.

===================

So just where do all the stolen bikes go?

Igor Kenk stands amid the mountain of hundreds of bicycles piled up in the backyard behind his Queen St. W. store.

If you listen to the word on the street, this is where stolen bikes go to die.

"Clearly I'm the most infamous loser in this city as far as bike theft goes," says a sarcastic Kenk, who squirts oil from a dirty plastic squeeze bottle on to some of the bikes. A shred of tissue paper that doubles as a bandage is stuck to a bloody cut on his blackened, greasy forearm.

Kenk, 49, owns Bicycle Clinic -- though there's no sign on the store -- at 927 Queen St. W. For years, the Slovenian bike mechanic has been a fixture on the sidewalk outside his shop across from Trinity Bellwoods Park, with his long stringy hair, hip pack, and the tools he uses to fix up or "recycle" old bikes.

"I am devoted to bikes. Bikes are the best machine, the best invention ever," says Kenk, who opened up his first store in 1992 at 986 Queen St. W. before moving to his current address in 1995 after buying the building for $85,000.

Recently, he's been offered as much as $600,000 for the property, a price tag he's turned down.

"What am I going to do with all that money? Stick it up my a--?"

Judo-trained and admittedly "out there," Kenk knows full well that since the early 1990s he's been suspected of being the go-to guy for thieves hoping to unload stolen bikes for $50 a pop.

In fact, mention bike theft to anybody who has any interest in cycling, whether it be bike shop staffers, cycling advocates, city licensing officials, the cops who arrest the thieves, or even just the average-Joe cyclist, and Kenk's name is mentioned -- without fail.

"I'm a thief, I'm the darkest nightmare in the western hemisphere," says Kenk, again sarcastically, poking fun at his own dubious reputation.

The truth is -- and Kenk acknowledges this -- some of the bikes piled up in his backyard and in his store are most likely stolen. Some, not all. The same thing would be true for every pawn shop in the city, he says.

But according to both Kenk and Richard Mucha, the city's manager of licensing, Kenk is operating legally and doing everything by the book.

Kenk keeps the city-issued registry book -- second-hand shop owners must fill it in every time somebody sells them a used item -- near the door of his shop when he's working, and says he always asks for two pieces of ID from would-be sellers. Any information about the bike, including its serial number and physical description, is logged, along with the seller's information. The information is relayed to police frequently, Kenk says.

"Bikes that have been floating around the market end up here, and end up in the (registry) book," Kenk says. "They (the police) get the ledgers, they get what they want."

And still, the thieves roll up on bikes to his shop. It's a Monday night and a clean-cut young man wearing a baseball cap pulls up on a mountain bike.

"This guy got pinched already, so I'm not going to buy from him," Kenk says quietly to a reporter before walking over to inspect the bike.

Within moments, the man is riding off down Queen St. W., perhaps to another pawn shop.

"He got pinched so now he can't (sell to me). It's a piece of sh--," Kenk says about the bike the apparent thief was trying to flog. "I don't like these new wave, disposable $99 bikes."

Back outside, Kenk mentions that the occasional angry theft victim will come by the store hoping to find their bike, including a raging man who attacked him recently and was rewarded with a punch in the head for his aggressiveness.

Theft victims will occasionally find their bikes at Kenk's shop, and he said if they can prove he has their bike, he'll give it back to them.

Kenk agrees the current system may be too lax and despite the fact stolen bikes find their way to his store, he says bike theft needs to be addressed somehow.

"Nobody's willing to work on the issue. They just know that I'm the 'bandit' and that's that. I don't give a sh--," Kenk says. "My job is to put (the stolen bike) in police hands, and I challenge anybody that's barking -- I challenge them. Let's go to work, I agree, it's a mess. It's a mess, all this sh-- floating around."

===================

Pretty amazing journalism from the Sun once again: An article painting Igor as a simple misunderstood victim three days before he gets snagged for being the biggest bike teef in Toronto. LOL. If I were that Sun reporter, I'd get another job. I hear carnies make a living wage.

Last edited by OTIS; 07-21-2008 at 01:16 AM.
OTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 AM   #50
ian
TRIBE Member

It is kinda cool that the bikes are beng displayed at 9 Hannah. Only reason why is because that was were Subb, Better Days, Dose and other parties were held back in the day. I've got nuttin' other then that. MEMORIES!
ian is offline   Reply With Quote