TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

What is your average hydro bill?

Old 03-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
TRIBE Member

What is your average hydro bill?

So Earth hour is tonight.

The countries with the greatest number of people "on board" are, what a shock, the US, Canada and Australia, collectively HUGE guzzlers of energy in all forms.

As many have said, one hour is a gesture, but if you don't do anything else there's not much point.

I'm curious, for those of you who do pay hydro, as to what your average bi-monthly bill is.

I'll start: $60
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

My gas bill is like $200 and it drives me nuts.

My electricity is about $75 but I have two meters.
No incentive to save any KWhrs because the minimum charge gauges me anyway.

-jM
A&D
Jeffsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

Isn't it more interesting if we include how much we use?

I remember posting this a while ago, but here it is again:
We pay just over €41 ($66) a month, based on last year's usage of 2010 kWh.

That includes all lighting, appliances (fridge, freezer, stove, oven, washing machine), computers, and entertainment stuff. Our place is a two-bedroom apartment over two stories, about 1300 square feet.
stargurl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
TRIBE Member

I have everything on hydro except heat and cooking, which is gas.
My average bi-monthly usage is about 300 KWh, which makes it 1800KWh/yr.
erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

We use about 1000kWh per month for two people. Electricity is by far our largest energy consumption.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
JAR
TRIBE Member

about $100 every two months.
JAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #7

^^wow. Do you have electric heat Brad? dryer, range? 1,000 kwh seems high for an apartment.

Me, I'm about 160 kwh/month. Except for that hot, hot summer of 2005 when I burned 619 kwh over two months on a LOT of A/C.

I've done months as low as 135 kwh and I'm proud of that (not bragging though as its not really by design).

Actually, I'm pretty sure my enviro footprint is below average for a N American.

I'd like to know what the Euro Tribers are burning.
eLeKTRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeKTRon
^^wow. Do you have electric heat Brad? dryer, range? 1,000 kwh seems high for an apartment.
Electric washer and dryer. I do a lot of cooking (gas) but that gets refrigerated/frozen so there's energy involved in that. And since I do a lot of cooking the dishwasher gets run often (no heat dry though)

In the winter we run a space heater sometimes, and there's also the hot tub factor which is our biggest draw.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
TRIBE Member

Location: I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass.
I am now even more convinced that unplugging shit when it's not actually being used is a very good idea.

I just figured out that I have dropped my YOY overall consumption by about 180 kWh per billing cycle (on average).

Except for July and August, which of course were insane because of A/C (291kWh x 2 = 582 *cringe*), I'm averaging about 170 - 180 kWh/month.

Everything except my hot water heater is electric.

Who knew: and as an added bonus, I can't remember the last time I had to change a light bulb since switching to the CFL ones or whatever they're called.

Another interesting factor is that my electricity charge is just under half of my delivery charge for said electricity. And then there's the debt retirement charge...whose debt am I retiring??
screamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
TRIBE Member

my last hydro bill (for an apartment) was $32 for the billing cycle.

the only electricity i waste is my tv during the day for the dog.
MissBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
TRIBE Member

utilities are included in this apartment and since I hate the earth and you miserable smelly humans, I leave every appliance on all the time.

also, I like to kick babies and eating ice cream in front of the overweight.
Krzysiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_bRAD
Electric washer and dryer. I do a lot of cooking (gas) but that gets refrigerated/frozen so there's energy involved in that. And since I do a lot of cooking the dishwasher gets run often (no heat dry though)

In the winter we run a space heater sometimes, and there's also the hot tub factor which is our biggest draw.
lol. the "hot tub factor".

there's irony in there somewhere, not sure where, exactly.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
TRIBE Member

I just got my first Hydro bill (march) since moving into my apartment in january = $214!! This doesn't include a security deposit.

1180 kwh used

I have electric heaters to heat up a 1000 sq ft apartment above a store.
DEEPHOUSEGRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #14

i would love to know how on earth you guys have such low hydro bills. Granted I work from home, but when I was living in TO, my bill for a 700sq ft apt was $200!!

Now at my home in Barrie, my bills are avging about $160/month over the last 18months. I have gas heat and a gas dryer, but electric everything else. I do have a house full of CFLs, and conserve in every other way...however I have an HDTV that was manufactured in 1999, I think it's quite likely the biggest drawing item i own. I recently retired 2 desktop computers and replaced them with laptops, and that's dropped my bill ~$23/month for the last 2 months.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #15

Rob, your bill does seem high, even for a house. You could have an audit done to see if there's an unusual load from somewhere. And as you probably already know, anything that generates heat uses juice. Stuff that's on all the time can end up costing. There's also a whole issue around "phantom load".

Erika, to answer your original question, my bills are between $60 and $70 every two months.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #16
TRIBE Member

I don't think Rob's bill is high if he had electric heat. I hate the bill for the winter time. Mine was $500 for the two months of December and January. Electric heat sucks.

-- Jay aka Fut
futronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
TRIBE Member

I forgot to put mine in - it's usually around $60 - $65 every two months. Before I started unplugging things it was closer to $90.

I should sign up for that "Peak" program...or figure out how to use my programmable thermostat that came with this place; if I don't remember to turn the temperature up or down for the day before I run out the door, I waste a ton of energy on A/C or heat that only the cat gets to enjoy. They claim it's easy to use, but they are incorrect!

Actually, it was getting a little portable battery generator that made me realize the draw of my various home electronics - in the guide it said it would run my PC, alarm system and a couple of other things for 48 hours on one charge, but that using my microwave for only ten minutes would run it down completely.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
TRIBE Member

So while I'm thinking of it....

Here's a list of which companies have residential programs: http://www.peakbusters.ca/who.html

And for the Toronto tribers: http://www.torontohydro.com/electric...aver/index.cfm

Jay, it sounds like you should sign up, holy crap!! What a bill!!

edit: AND Toronto Hydro will send you a cheque for $25 and an iPod shuffle for signing up and having the switch installed! Bonus!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
TRIBE Member

My landlord lives in his own little world. We pay a portion of our hydro/gas in the rent each month and then every once in a while we're supposed to "catch up" to what the real cost is.

Nagged the guy for a LONG time to "catch up".

Got our bill for 6 months of '06 only a few months ago, right before christmas. Was 600 and something between 3 peeps.

Now we have a whole year still to "catch up" on.

Can't wait for those bills.

One consequence of course was not knowing how much our bill was really coming to, we were all a little too wasteful.

And now we're paying the price...;(
praktik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #20

^ If I was your landlord, I'd up the rent to make sure I'm over-collecting on the utilities, then I'd take my sweet time refunding the difference.

It would also incent the tenants to conserve energy, meaning I'd be doing more for the environment while holding your money.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
TRIBE Member

Wow. You guys do pay a lot.

The bill for January/February is only $94.51 which includes tax and charges.

My highest usage is September and June, my lowest is November, January and March.

But I have a gas furnace though for water and heat. The furnace was free too because they want you to switch your old ones.
MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #22
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeKTRon
^ If I was your landlord, I'd up the rent to make sure I'm over-collecting on the utilities, then I'd take my sweet time refunding the difference.

It would also incent the tenants to conserve energy, meaning I'd be doing more for the environment while holding your money.

actually there was an adjustment after the first "catch up" right before christmas.... but if how long it took it took him to collect money is any indication, if he owes us money I don't wanna know how long that would take!
praktik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #23
TRIBE Member

Jesus I envy some of you. My last bi-monthly bill was $205 which amounts to 1975kWh used in the past two months.

Lobo
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #24
TRIBE Member

$40 on average every couple of months.
daddyiwantchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

lessee here... $212.31 for Dec-Feb = 1874 kWh
and then Enbridge Gas for Feb: $319.48 for 738 m3

5 bedroom house, four people, ton of laundry+dishes
acheron is online now   Reply With Quote