montreal party listings? - TRIBE MAGAZINE
TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

montreal party listings?

Old 01-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #1
TRIBE Member

montreal party listings?

does anyone know where i can find out what's going on in montreal? i'm going there on the 24th - 27th and i can't seem to find out who's spinning there during those times. the sites for sona and stereo both don't have any listings for january.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
vinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #2
Che

Do yourself a favour and check out Aria. There's no big DJs booked there during your stay, but Luc Raymond (Resident) is really good and shouldn't disappoint.
Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
TRIBE Promoter

go to stereo. TRUST me.
Libradragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:06 PM   #4

Problem with Aria is there is no bar. Club Sona and Stereo listings should be in the Montreal Mirror newspaper look it up, its like the eye.
Was in Montreal a couple of weeks ago and Sona was amazing! Its still open bar on Friday and Saturday's till 12:30. Saturday was the better night.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:10 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

last time I was at Stereo they had no liquor license either...is it still the same way?
Tonedeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:11 PM   #6

Word up to Che on that one.

Aria is awesome. I was there for NYE and I had a blast. The place is a pretty nice (as far as looks) club. Great atmosphere on both floors. You'll get more of a progressive/trancey sound on the main dance floor downstairs. Upstairs, you'll get very groovy, funky and sexy house. Plus the upstairs has theatre style plush seating to chill in while you watch people get there groove on. I'd recommend Saturday night, if you can make it there. Of the 3 main afterhours places (Sona, Stereo & Aria), I think Aria gets the best crowd with a good ratio of guys and girls. Everyone has a blast there, and there is just something about the Montreal 'joie de vivre' that you don't get in the clubs here in the t dot. People know how to have fun, can dance, are friendly, smile and will chat with you even if you don't speak French. Just start off with a 'parlez vous anglais ou francais?'. That effort alone will go a long way with a Francophone in a club. Aria is worth the visit, no question.

Peace,
T
The Magical White Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vinder:
does anyone know where i can find out what's going on in montreal? i'm going there on the 24th - 27th and i can't seem to find out who's spinning there during those times. the sites for sona and stereo both don't have any listings for january.

</font>
BEtonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vinder:

</font>
Hey drop me a line when you're in town, we can chill beata13@rogers.com. I'm here for the semester so it would be nice to meet some peeps and party with them.

Cheerios
BEata

Old 01-09-2002, 08:58 PM   #9

Aria did have an amazing line up New Years Eve but on a regular night like the Friday I went 1 month ago it was hip-hop and rnb upstairs and house downstairs. It is an old movie theatre similiar to the hyland downtown. Go on there web-site if you do decide to check them out. They give away 4 free tickets every wednesday at 6 if you log in at exactly 6, thats the reason I went. I never pass on free entry.
I personally think Sona is the best afterhours in Montreal, if you like industry you'll like sona. But you can't go wrong with the other two.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:07 PM   #10

That's why I suggested a Saturday night. I was there this summer on a random Saturday night and it was quite good as well. There was hip hop upstairs on New Year's Eve, yes, but I hope and think that that isn't normally the case (esp. on Sat). It was actually interesting chilling out in the hip hop room. The party was bumpin', asses were shakin'- it wasn't as bad as you may think. I do hear your point though.

Peace,
T
The Magical White Isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
TRIBE Member

respect

yo V man,
check out www.montrealmirror.com on the thursday before you head down (or pick up a copy on the street when you get there) and they will have complete info on all the happenings in town. As for my two cents worth (and what i did every weekend when i lived in montreal), i'd go check out Jai Bar early, then go to STEREo, without a doubt, hands down, the best club in Canada (i'd venture to say north america as well...). Jingxi or Laika are also great bets for solid early evening vibes. As for SONA, depends on the talent that weekend. I'm a bit jaded with 514 and the door staff at SONA, but it can be good on the right night. As for ARIA, when they had the deep house in the bar it was sweet, and they get awesome talent in from time to time, but between aria and stereo, STEREO every night they are open...hope this helps

peace
mike
ethnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:21 PM   #12

Why dont' u ask some of your cool brown friends?

pr0nstar Have a Good One!
pr0nstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:22 PM   #13

Jai Bar closed down. Was one of my favourite places in Montreal! They opened one in downtown T.O. on Adelaide but its not
the same.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:28 PM   #14

Man I've been here since Sat and I really like the city but I don't know what to do with myself at times. I only know like 3 people here but 2 of them are not in town yet and the other one I can't get in touch. AHH I want to do something grr it's driving me crazy. Maybe I'll just go to Stereo by myself hehe.

Cheerios
BEata
Old 01-09-2002, 11:40 PM   #15
TRIBE Member

OMG VINDER IM GOING TO BE IN MONTREAL THAT WEEKEND TOO!!!!

I cant tell you how excited this makes me *GRINNNNNNN*

Im going to be there for a model UN conference, but Im out to have lots of party fun too! *wink* !!!!

ps- are you scared? *evil grin*

adios
Laura
madnezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:10 AM   #16
TRIBE Member

It's all about Aria on fridays and Stereo on Saturdays. Exchangable depending upon the DJ's. Sona is a no, except for special events IMO.

Laura's coming up too? Score

~allie~
Temper Tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:16 AM   #17
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madnezz:

Im going to be there for a model UN conference
</font>
"poland...tell us about your nation's achievements."

"well, i heard they sent a rocket to the sun once...at night. and there was that submarine...with the screen doors"

JayIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:05 AM   #18

Sona's site does have listings for Jan. Click on the little arrow that points to the right.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:09 AM   #19
TRIBE Member

this is what i used for reference when i went...!

montreal mirror

Hour

and they're both in english for you non-speakers! yay!

HTH

jus me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:40 AM   #20

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Temper Tantrum:
It's all about Aria on fridays and Stereo on Saturdays. Exchangable depending upon the DJ's. Sona is a no, except for special events IMO.

Laura's coming up too? Score

~allie~
</font>
Yo Aliie, I've e-mailed ya but no answer . DO you have any plans for the weekend?

Cheerios
BEata (needs to shake her booty somewhere this weekend)

Old 01-10-2002, 03:36 AM   #21
TRIBE Member

thanks for all your help guys, again, it's very much appreciated.

i'll be ready to par-tay on the friday the 25th and saturday the 26th. so what's the consensus here? what should i do on each night? i do wanna check out sona, but i want to see aria and stereo too! so confused!

dazed - i've checked the calendar section on the clubsona.com site and it only goes till december. should i be looking somewhere else?

ange, ethnik - i've checked the montreal mirror site and couldn't find the event listings, what section should i be looking at? i'll pick up a real copy when i'm there.

laura - yes, i'm scared! i'll have my cell on me, so we'll hook up.

allie - you too. so you say aria friday, stereo saturday? i really wanna see sona, just to see what all the hubub is about!

beata - it would be great to meet you, check ur email

steve, naoimi, TMWI, pest, tonedeff, kenny and jib - thanks for your help!

Old 01-10-2002, 03:45 AM   #22
TRIBE Member

vinder the sona site does have the listing for january. click on calender then scroll right. Aria also have their calender up. Stereo's site is revemping. I am planning on a trip to Montreal also, just trying to decide a weekend.

Pete
SneakyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 03:50 AM   #23
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SneakyPete:
vinder the sona site does have the listing for january. click on calender then scroll right. Aria also have their calender up. Stereo's site is revemping. I am planning on a trip to Montreal also, just trying to decide a weekend.

Pete
</font>
how come when i scroll right i just get to NYE, that's it?
Old 01-10-2002, 03:54 AM   #24
TRIBE Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SneakyPete:

Pete
</font>
also, aria's listing has nothing for january. it's empty?

Old 01-10-2002, 03:57 AM   #25
TRIBE Member

vinder i think montreal is trying to tell you something...
JayIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote