TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

quitting a job while still in training...

Old 08-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #1

quitting a job while still in training...

Are you supposed to give 2 weeks notice?

For example, I am in my 3rd week of training and have realized the job is not for me. I've never quit so early in a job and am not sure of the usual protocol....
jungalissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

Location: anxiously waiting for the latest Glomobi pickup lines
Get super hungover and don't call! Throw protocol to the wind.
technowelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

I can't answer your question... but perhaps it's best to have a one on one discussion with your supervisor/manager/boss? Be honest and explain that you've realized the position is not for you.
Michlerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michlerish
I can't answer your question... but perhaps it's best to have a one on one discussion with your supervisor/manager/boss? Be honest and explain that you've realized the position is not for you.
so simple, yet clearly what I need to do. thx
Old 08-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

I'd think probationary notice period would cover it.
Still would warrant a discussion with your manager.
daddyiwantchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
TRIBE Member

protocol is the same as when you're ditching someone.. tell them it's not working out and you don't want them to call you anymore.
oh toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
TRIBE Member

If your traing they'll just let you go. No need to train somone leaving, happens to me all the time.
Hi i'm God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #8
TRIBE Member

Location: didn't you kill didn't you kill, didn't you kill my brother?
I invented "it's not you, it's me" if anything... it's me!
JEMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
ev
TRIBE Member

i'm pretty sure if you were to give two weeks notice while still training.. you'd be walked out on the spot. It would be retarded for them to keep you around and train you more to have to leave after two weeks.
ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #10
TRIBE Member

"your mothers a whore"

usually gets you out of jobs
basketballjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #11

Jungalissa, it depends on how much you need to pay your bills, whether someone referred you, whether you have an exit plan, etc.

If you really hate it, then own up as long as you don't have a friend hanging on the line. If you do have a friend, and they referred you, just make it through the training period, then use a week of benefits, then quit.

annec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
TRIBE Member

Finish the training and take the skills to another employer.
Don't leave just yet, find a new position if possible.
Depending on the degree of your professionalism, anything from a "no show" to a "mono-a-mono" confrontation. I would suggest the latter (possibly over the phone?).
djdeposit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #13
TRIBE Promoter

I quit a job after 7 days once. A good job. It just wasn't my thing.

Are you on a 3 month trial of some kind? i.e. if you suck can they just say no thanks, this isn't working out? If so then it's a two way street.

Actually I called in on my 8th day and said it wasn't working out and that they wouldn't see me again. I even harassed them to pay me (and they did). Damn I'm such a dick.
veteze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #14
TRIBE Member

just tell your manager that you need too talk, and its not working out. See what the company protocol is... probably will pay you the rest of the day and you never come back

on a personal note.. all jobs suck the first month.. i've hated a lot of jobs the first couple weeks and then dreaded going in but after a couple weeks things usually start to get better... so I would also suggest sticking it out a bit.. at least 6 weeks
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #15
TRIBE Member

I quit one after three days, plus going thru two weeks of training. Just call and say you're not coming in. They have the right to tell you the same in the three month probation period.
Aerius Zension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
TRIBE Member

if you don't plan on putting it on your resume, then technically you could quit on the spot, make a big scene, and no one would be the wiser afterwords.

however, I suggest sticking the training out because getting paid for slack ass training is sweet. then stick it to the company and quit, throwing stuff and insulting people on the way.
[- FuNKtiOn -] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #17
TRIBE Member

if youve only been there for less than a month, 1 weeks notice is all that's required.
KodiaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #18
TRIBE Promoter

If you think you have any reason to want something from them again in the future, give notice. Otherwise, a brick through the window with a note attached should do the job.
mercure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

it's not like you will use them for a reference... just don't go back...keep 'em guessing. make sure you're really drunk when they finally call to see where you are!
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #20
Boo

I'm sure if the roles were reversed and they knew you weren't working out after 3 weeks, they would have the courtesy to give you a few weeks notice to find something.

Or toss you right out on your ass and probably deduct training expenses off your paycheck

one of the two
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:31 PM   #21
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiaK
if youve only been there for less than a month, 1 weeks notice is all that's required.
by who?

its 3 months before any notice is required by a company

3months - 2 years = 1 week notice
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #22

So, today I finally sat down and told my boss it wasn't working out. Then I told her I would give at least two weeks, but would be willing to take shifts after that as they tried to find and train a replacement.

*hell froze over at this moment as I actually thought about someone other then myself*

She was very happy I offered to do this and offered to keep me on for casual shifts, which might end up working out perfectly. So all ends well Thanks for your advice
Old 08-31-2006, 07:57 PM   #23
TRIBE Member

if i quit a job and am forced by contract to give 2 weeks notice, can they fire me within that two weeks if i just fuck the dog the whole time?
Bass-Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #24
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungalissa

*hell froze over at this moment as I actually thought about someone other then myself*
Well I'm guessing this part of the comment was directed at me. Though I don't know why you'd chose to direct anything at me, since you can't even be nice enough to pick up a phone. Instead you act like a cold hearted biotch. But I'll break it down for you like this, you act really self centered, and in my experience with you, have little to no regard for me or anyone but #1. That's why I made that comment and deleted it. It was childish and pety when I said it. I think at least that your intentions are not to be cruel or be a bitch, it's just how you come off. So we don't talk aren't friends/haven't been for a while. That's cool with me. In the future though, if I may offer a small bit of advice, try communicating. Communicating is what makes the world go round. So you know everything's all good. If you don't want anything to do with each other that's cool but don't try these little snippy comments, and following up on shit I post please cause I don't really care to deal with someone who doesn't care to deal with me. Actually I'm kinda regretting opening this thread and genuinely caring how this aspect of your life turned out. I think you may be throwing away a great opportunity, and I hope you've thought this decision out long and hard.
unique2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique2100
I think at least that your intentions are not to be cruel or be a bitch, it's just how you come off.

"what did the five fingers say to the face....SLAP"
basketballjones is offline   Reply With Quote