TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

Why pay impark tickets?

Old 03-31-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
TRIBE Member

Why pay impark tickets?

seriouly, do you have to pay these fucking things. what are the pros and cons? they dont go against your credit rating do they?
freshest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

Location: anxiously waiting for the latest Glomobi pickup lines
They will send your file to a collection agency. I remember reading something about this in the Star a few years ago. There was some dispute between the, and the city, who were claiming that they should have exclusivity for writing parking tickets. I don't really remember hearing about a resolution, though.
technowelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

you don't have to pay it
Bass-Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
TRIBE Member

It's generally not worth it for them to come after you unless it's well over a hundred bones. I haven't paid them since I found out that the City wasn't enforcing payment of them (which apparently has always been the case).
Flashy_McFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

and i was never sent to collections either after 2 years.

oh, as long as your ticket was in the city of toronto.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technowelt
They will send your file to a collection agency. I remember reading something about this in the Star a few years ago. There was some dispute between the, and the city, who were claiming that they should have exclusivity for writing parking tickets. I don't really remember hearing about a resolution, though.

What agency will collect on a $35 ticket though? and will your credit rating be effected?
freshest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
TRIBE Member

I think the only downfall is that impark is fucking everywhere so it's hard to avoid them and not pay.

never heard of them sending anything to a collections agency though.
the_fornicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #8
TRIBE Member

Location: anxiously waiting for the latest Glomobi pickup lines
I'm not really sure.. This guy received 500 calls from a credit agency because of his "ticket":
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/09/24/054023.php
technowelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
TRIBE Member

In an interesting twist on this, I got an impark ticket in a rental car this weekend.

I can't see ever having to pay this.
coleridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
TRIBE Member

The rental car company will deduct the ticket from your credit card automatically
Old 03-31-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass-Invader
The rental car company will deduct the ticket from your credit card automatically
Well that sucks then....
coleridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
TRIBE Member

Isn't ImPark a private company so they cannot access your driver's record or get your info as they aren't government?
SpaceBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
ev
TRIBE Member

the may send it to a collection agency... if it's big enough.. HOWEVER... highly unlikely that it would ever be listed as a collection item on your bureau.. unless it's a lot of money that you owe them.

and if you get sent to an agency... send them a fax and registered letter saying that they can only contact you through written correspondence. and cc: it to the ministry of consumer and business services attn: Freeland Manchester.
ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
TRIBE Member

In Vancouver I had many, many impark tickets, and was told I didn't have to pay them, so I didn't.

That was years ago, and nothing has ever come of it.

I believe the worst they could do was tow my car if I was parked in one of their lots at any time.
That car is long gone, so there is no worries anymore regardless.

Dunno about the rules in Toronto specifically, but I would imagine its similar.
supakeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
TRIBE Member

Quote:
not only will they deduct it ... they will also add on an additional $35 service charge
slants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev
the may send it to a collection agency... if it's big enough.. HOWEVER... highly unlikely that it would ever be listed as a collection item on your bureau.. unless it's a lot of money that you owe them.

and if you get sent to an agency... send them a fax and registered letter saying that they can only contact you through written correspondence. and cc: it to the ministry of consumer and business services attn: Freeland Manchester.

funny I always mention the letter to friends as being the only beneficial thing I learned whilst having a short stay with TCH I thought though that if you are in the Collection industry that it is a closely guarded secret.....
I wonder how you knew that....lol

Dt
dtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
TRIBE Member

they have no authority to collect anything more than what it would've cost you to park there in the first place. they can't levy fines, late fees, etc. so the most you could actually owe them is probably under $20, and closer to $5 if you weren't there very long. fuck em.
jared k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #18
TRIBE Member

I have $500 in impark fines, it went to collections like 7 years ago, collections called and I advised I am disputing the tickets and asked for copies of the tickets they refused to provide and I refused to pay. Next time they called I laughed at them for a good 20 minutes and they threatened me goon style.

It didn't affect my credit at all, I have since bought a house, car and have 2 cc's all with no problems

the only thing i'd consider is not parking in their lots again once it has gone to collections, towing your car would be a nice way for them to extort the money you owe them. technically this is not extortion
kyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

it also used to be that Impark sent its overdue accounts to a collection agency that was owned by Impark - not sure if this is still the case.
bitchass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:45 PM   #20
TRIBE Member

i work in a clinic and people who get the tickets, i call Impark on their behalf and say that they park in the lot twice a week and will be more careful next time etc. for the first offence, they will usually get rid of the ticket.
fear_of_fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #21

It's true....

You dont have to pay the tickets and it will not affect your credit score.

When i first moved out to calgary, I did a brief stint at a collection agency who tried to collect for Impark.

By all means... Do Not pay them... all they can do is Tag and Tow ur vehicle if they have noticed a habit of you not paying for parking... it is their property after all so they have the jurisdiction to do only that.
Derek4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBabe
Isn't ImPark a private company so they cannot access your driver's record or get your info as they aren't government?
yeah this is supposedly a big thing now, even for "public" tickets that run across government jurisdictions - that is, a municipal arm of the government doesn't have the authority to access your provincially obtained info.

now in this case its much more serious in terms of breaching your privacy.

i haven't heard of anyone actually fighting this on the privacy basis, but you just know its gonna come sooner or later.
AshG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #23
SJN
TRIBE Member

^^^ you know, that's really interesting....I hadn't even thought about that....the only way Impark could get the information to contact you (as far as I know) is to go through your licence plate, which would require the Ministry of Transportation to give out this information to a 3rd (private) party without your authorization -- in theory, privacy laws would preclude this. Maybe there's already a loophole or exception in these types of situations, but if not it's just ripe for a challenge.
SJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #24

didn't the gov get in shit for giving out driver info to parking places last year?
SweatyNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #25
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Untrue. I got a $79 impark ticket in a u-haul about 7 years ago. Not a problem.

Its funny because I tried to pay for my parking space but the machine wouldn't let me. I could only buy certain set times that the machine prescribed (like 10 hrs, and 24 hrs. So I couldn't pay for the extra hour I was going to be there.
gollum is offline   Reply With Quote