TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > TRIBE Main Forum

figuring out a custom/duty charge (re: Ebay)

Old 01-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
TRIBE Member

figuring out a custom/duty charge (re: Ebay)

I am interested in buying something off of ebay.

How do I figure out how much it will cost me to ship here, including customs and duty charges? Who can I call?

(I've asked the seller to mark it as a gift, but he says, no, it's a federal offence)

HELP!

P.S. the item is in the states, I'm in Canada (duh)
kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

Here are the prices for UPS. It can be pricey if it is shipped using the Standard service and if additional services apply.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

get them to send it by USPS to avoid brokerage fees. Customs charges are on their website I think. I think it goes by the value of the item that's shipped.

if you go through UPS or FedEx be prepared to pay at least and extra $35 in brokerage fees (I've had a brokerage fee of $60 on a $90USD pair of shoes once... nothing you can do but pay it either)
the_fornicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
TRIBE Member

I just got something delivered from CA and I had to pay GST and handling fee through USPS.
KillaLadY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillaLadY
I just got something delivered from CA and I had to pay GST and handling fee through USPS.
You will have to pay GST and PST on your item regardless of who shipped it.

USPS charges a flat handling fee of $5 on any item that costs more than $20 US.

UPS Standard on the other hand bases its brokerage fee (aka handling fee) on a sliding scale based on the value of your item.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
TRIBE Member

Thank you for that answer.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
TRIBE Member

Ok, so the racket is about $75.00USD

The USPS fee will be $5

And I'm to pay gst and pst?

anything else I should know about?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
TRIBE Member

JAKE do NOT let them ship it FedEx or UPS if you can help it, those scammers slap "brokerage fees" that sometimes actually amount to more than the item itself. Remember that jacket I was bidding on for a friend at your place back in March? The seller originally sent it UPS and they added $170 in brokerage fees to a $200 coat. He refused it and back it went, then I had to buy it and have it shipped to a friend in the U.S. willing to then mail here using good ol' USPS. To avoid any surprises insist on USPS.
Thumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
TRIBE Member

well, I am looking at the CBSA Postal Import Form that I got today...

For $179.36US (about $209CDN) parcel, I paid GST $12.56CDN, no PST, no duty, handling fee of $8.00CDN, so I paid a total of $20.56CDN.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
TRIBE Member

If you're getting something via UPS, you might as well ask for overnight shipping. The brokerage fee for an overnight shipment is next to nothing and the total cost comes out almost even (a little cheaper overnighted).
Balzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
SJN
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salad
You will have to pay GST and PST on your item regardless of who shipped it.

USPS charges a flat handling fee of $5 on any item that costs more than $20 US.

UPS Standard on the other hand bases its brokerage fee (aka handling fee) on a sliding scale based on the value of your item.
pretty much bang on

- you have to pay GST & PST no matter what (if they apply to the item)
- you won't have to pay any basic duty, unless the item was manufactured outside the the NAFTA zone (and note that just because it was purchased in the US, doesn't mean it was made in the US)
- there are excise duties/taxes on certain types of items
- customs brokerage fees (handling fees) are payable, and they depend on what shipping method you've used (basic post is cheapest...courier companies are really expensive)

generally, its tough to say what you'll end up paying on top of the purchase price....but a good piece of advice is to stay away from courier companies....

Last edited by SJN; 01-05-2006 at 03:51 PM.
SJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thumpr
JAKE do NOT let them ship it FedEx or UPS if you can help it, those scammers slap "brokerage fees" that sometimes actually amount to more than the item itself. Remember that jacket I was bidding on for a friend at your place back in March? The seller originally sent it UPS and they added $170 in brokerage fees to a $200 coat.
I hear this all the time, but it is simply not true. Hence the reason why I bust out that chart all the time. Yes the fees can be expensive, but they are never more than the value of the item.

You would have fallen in the $100.01 to $200.00 bracket which would add $28.30 in brokerage fees.

So your total would have been

GST - $14 US = $17.50 CDN
PST - $16 US = $20 CDN
Brokerage Fee - $28.30 CDN
COD Fee - $4.25 CDN
Import Permit - $23.00 CDN (sometimes, but not usually this is charged)

So at most, you would have been charged $93 CDN on top of the shipping. But not all of that goes to UPS, as a good portion is going straight to the Government. There may have been some duties added on depending on the location of manufacture of the item, but again, that is usually only around 5-10%, and does not go to UPS.

Yes, UPS's fees are extraordinary, but they are never as high as 85% of the value as you mention happened to you.

Last edited by salad; 01-05-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
TRIBE Member

How come I didn't pay PST?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Balzz
If you're getting something via UPS, you might as well ask for overnight shipping. The brokerage fee for an overnight shipment is next to nothing and the total cost comes out almost even (a little cheaper overnighted).
It's not "next to nothing", it is nothing.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
SJN
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillaLadY
How come I didn't pay PST?
you only pay PST if it's applicable to the item
Old 01-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
TRIBE Member

My worst experience was when I had a car part shipped from the UK. It was not cheap at all, but what made it even worse was that the sender had put the price in CDN dollars, but had marked the item as UK pounds. So with the exchange rate of 2.5x at the time, the normal 15% tax was now 15 x 2.5 = 37.5% tax. I got screwed. Of course I tried to get a refund and plead my case, but no one would listen to me because Canada Customs was on strike and only "essential services" were available at the time.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:00 PM   #17
TRIBE Promoter

I've only paid a custom/duty fee once from a seller off of eBay. Considering I got at least twenty pieces of clothing in the past 3 months off of various sellers on eBay that's pretty damn good.
Big Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #18

i have been smacked hard with fees on expensive items coming from the states, shipped through ups or fedex.

i have had best results with usps shipping, like everyone else in the tread.

interestingly, it is usually way cheaper and faster to have something shipped from the uk.
and they tend to be smarter than the americans, too.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

Thanks for the helpful advice. Seller indicates he only ships with USPS and won't mark it as a gift. Item is made in JAPAN, does that make any difference in terms of duty?
Old 01-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #20
SJN
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kuba
Item is made in JAPAN, does that make any difference in terms of duty?
it could, yes
technically, if the item was not manufactured in the NAFTA zone, then duty could be payable.....whether they actually catch this or not when it comes through, is anyone's guess....
Old 01-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #21
s1k

tell they guy to mark the value of the item inside low, or next to nothin, or to mark it used or gift.

i order cigarretes from switzerland and out of 10 times, 8 times i dind't pay taxes on them, he marked them as gift.
s1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #22
TRIBE Member

call the Border Information Service at 1-800-461-9999 during business hours. And yes the country of origin will make a difference in how much duty will be charged

if you're buying a squash raquet i would recomend you go to sportcheck or sport mart. i know people who have gotten some pretty good deals at those places (50% off)
octo is offline   Reply With Quote