You don't have to be smart to hit a ball

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Guest, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry for those of you who don't give a flying fuck about baseball. The stupidity of the story below transcends the sport, though. (Hint: The math is that a $1,000,000 baseball player stole a glove worth $2,500 from a teammate's locker. Then he got caught and fired, losing $800,000 in guaranteed salary in the process. In my world, that would be like stealing a pencil from a coworker and selling it on the street for a penny.)

Ruben Rivera released, accused of stealing glove
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----
    ESPN.com news services

TAMPA, Fla. -- Ruben Rivera was released from the New York Yankees after stealing a glove and bat from Derek Jeter's locker, a baseball source said Tuesday.

...A baseball lawyer familiar with the decision, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Rivera took the equipment from Jeter's locker at spring training and sold them to a sports memorabilia agent.

New York-area newspapers reported that Rivera took the glove but has since returned it. But The New York Times, quoting an unidentified source, said Rivera sold the glove to a memorabilia dealer for $2,500....

Rivera signed a $1 million, one-year guaranteed contract with the
    Yankees last month but the team negotiated a $200,000 settlement with Rivera on Monday, the lawyer said....

"I am disappointed," Mariano Rivera said. "I prefer not to talk about it."

2. terrawrist III

terrawrist III TRIBE Member

welcome to the wonderful wacky world that is professional sports!

when they sign a contract,especially for a bzillion dollars over 10 years,they give up the right to fuck freely,do drugs,drink beers,see their family,enjoy a movie now and then,have hobbies,live a normal life,and of course...eat poorly.

taking a teammates glove is a no-no and he should have known that...when you sign on the dotted line you waive the rights to do ANY sort of wrong doing,think along the lines of becoming a christian...you have to follow suit for the rest of your career!

Pete Rose gambled and still is not in the hall of fame for doing so...one of the best ball players ever cant get into the fame for breaking the law once!!! To us,well to me anyways,gambling is a very forgiving offense,but in the sports world it is magnified 100 times!

FUCT!...that is the word to describe the politics of ball hitting,or puck shooting,or whatever else they do to earn those dollas',but next time you get bent out of shape because they make 1000 times more than you for something as trivial as sports,think about those athletes have to give up to get it!

man...they can't even say anything about refs anymore or they get fined...bullshit!