work sucks.... pt. 2

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just finished my second 15 and a half hour shift in 3 days, and I had another that was 12 hours.

In the past 10 days I've now worked 98 hours.

and I get to go back again in 8 hours to! yay! :rolleyes:

and the best part is, with another movie starting next week, I'm only just starting to get busy. Word from my co-workers is that 80-100 weeks will not be uncommon this spring/summer.

at least I'll be making some mad cash... but still....

2. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

What do you do?( because it could always be worse.)

BBB.

You could work for 98 hours for 5 dollars an hour sorting chickens in a chicken factory.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I make soccer balls for 6 cents an hour at the addidas soccer ball factory

4. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Then what the fuck are you complaining about? 98 hours is a SHORT week.

BBB.

Whiner.

5. Viceroy

Viceroy TRIBE Member

Dude, I would give my left nut to be able to just stop going to school and work with films....even if it's with Woopie and a deer. I can't wait to be done with school and be able to wake up knowing that I'm going to a job dealing with movies.

No matter how many hours.....films are my passion. Maybe you should find a job that you like more.

Peace,
    Steve

6. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

ARGH!

Can you "Go Postal" even if you don't work for the Post Office??

[​IMG]

*sigh*

It's allowed, no?

Joanna [​IMG] <-- not lovin her day...

7. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

yah, a crew from our shop has been stuck on the same production sets for the long shifts as well. A few days we have had to be on both first and second unit shots in the same day/night.

At least the director/producer, from what I have met of him, is a fairly reasonable man.

And really, we are lucky to be working in this fantastic industry that many people would give their eye teeth to be in... you must have the same thing I get all the time ~dazed~, everyone and their uncle as soon as they find out you work in film thinks it's a cool job and want's to know how they can get into the biz.

8. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

from what I vaguely remember about work I agree, yes it does suck.

Bumbaclat

9. Cameron

Cameron TRIBE Member

On the bright side, you're employed. It's all about perspective!

10. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

there's always something to complain about. what cameron said is true, if you were unemployed you might find that difficult to deal with.

it's part of the biz. i remember working 16 hour days as an *extra*. no wonder film is so insular and they all sleep with each other, what other chance do they have of meeting anyone else?

don't worry, when i reign over this planet as supreme world dictator, i'm going to vanquish work and poverty. not entirely quite sure how yet, but this world bothers me in so many ways and needs to have new implemented belief/work systems.

*muah*
    ~N

11. da MiGHTy pLUm!

da MiGHTy pLUm! TRIBE Member

I like my work
    All day I surf the web, make pretty graphics for the web, and in between there are a bunch of x-box breaks where I can pummel my co-workers to oblivion.

:D

-ron!

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Don't get me wrong, I like my job. It is the EASIEST job ever. It's more the hours I don't like.
    Right now I'm the lowest of the low, and untill I get into a union I'll be doing a whole lot of sitting around doing nothing, and trust me it get's old doing that for at least 12 hours a day/night.

trust me once you've finished school and are actually working in the industry you'll realize it's actually not anywhere close to as exciting as you thought and the hours are really long. From the time I've spent on set watching(which is all I do) I've also learned that they run a tight ship and they don't fuck around. No one but the director, with the exception of a few other people, are there to be use their head or be creative. You're there to do what you're told and do it on schedual, and if you can't do that they have no problem firing your ass right there. I've already seen it happen a couple of times.

Granted I've only been doing this for a few months and have only worked on three shows, but this seems to be the impression I get. then again there are some cool people working in this industry, and if you get you're work done there will be time to fuck around.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of mullets on set.

13. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

Evan, grow a mullet, it will be hot. :)

14. swenard

swenard TRIBE Member

:D :D :D :cool:

15. Guest

Guest Guest

another plus of the hours is the $$$, especially if you're union.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

for you anything.... but you have to promise to brush the knots out of it once I'm able to get it past my waist. ;)

17. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

hey ~dazed~
    2 questions if you don't mind....

what's your job on set?

how did you get started in the industry?

I ask the first out of curiosity and the second since practically everyone I talk to who works in film (including myself) got in thorugh someone they know... and I was wondering if you go in that way as well. We get calls at the SPFX shop I work daily from people trying to break into the industry and all I can ever say to them is to find a connection and work it. :cool:

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I do location support and security.
    thankfully I get all the easy assignments, like sitting/sleeping in my car or a cabin or just chilling on set. Other people I work with spend 12 hours on their feet directing traffic and whatnot, but I won't have none of that.

i the job after seeing a posting on mandy.com
    it's full of indusrty job listings.
    I sent them an email, and then another, and then another, got an interview, they said they liked me and would call. when I didn't hear from them I followed and got it.]

it totally is about who you know in this biz. Since I knew no one, I'm starting at the bottom. It's all good though because I'm still not even sure if this is the business for me.

If I do stick it out, I'm thinking now that I might want to go into locations, then again that could change.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

I find it kinda funny that every single person I work with is a Ryherson film grad.

20. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

hey, at least you're not working the Craft truck...

My friend did that for 3 shows and you have to be there all day starting from before the crew sets up to after they tear down... he was working 14 hour days but at least you are never far from the coffee. plus, he did asked out by Mila Johovivitch...

21. Guest

Guest Guest

ah.... thank god for craft services..... free food is my favorite kind.