1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Why does cilantro taste like soap to some people?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by madnezz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

I think Vinder once told me that if you're missing a certain digestive enzyme, cilantro/coriander tastes like flowers or soap. I'm trying to find out if this is true or not, but a preliminary internet search doesn't yield many facts.

Does anyone have a link to the scientific reason behind cilantro tasting bad to some while it's the greatest herb to others (eg: me)?

2. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

tastes like soap to me. What the hell does it taste like to you then?
  3. grounded4life

grounded4life TRIBE Member

yup tastes like soap to me too, same with ginger.
  4. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

I'm not sure how I would describe the flavour, but there isn't even a hint of it tasting like soap of flowers to me!
  5. Rajio

Rajio Well-Known TRIBEr

maybe you guys are using the wrong kind of soap?
  6. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

tastes awesome to me, and not like soap. its a major part of why I love vietnamese food. In fact, tonight may very well be Pho night.
  7. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

It tastes like soap to Jews.
  8. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

that explains it because I'm the biggest jewbag of all
  9. Cri

Cri TRIBE Member

It doesn't taste like soap to me but it tastes awful! yuck! really dislike that stuff!
  10. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

I have never tasted soap or flowers.

Coriander is love or hate. And I LOVE it. I can just sit and smell fresh leaves of it all day. So fucking awesome!
  11. MissBlu

MissBlu TRIBE Member

i love cilantro! doesn't taste like soap to me, however i mixed up my parsley and cilantro that i grew this year.
  12. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

If I were in charge, I'd have an all out War on Cilantro and have public burnings of everything we seized.
  13. littlejon

littlejon TRIBE Member

i am a lover, not a hater. but the haters are louder:
    i hate cilantro . com

or in haiku form:
    Oh, coriander.
    If “pure evil” had a taste?
    It would taste like you.

stupid haters.
  14. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known TRIBEr

maybe they don't rinse their dishes well anought after washing.

i love cilantro. i first discovered it when i was a poor student subletting a room on baldwin for the summer. as a poor student, the $1 vietnamese sandwiches were a great boon, and it was in them that i first wondered what that unfamiliar yet beautiful taste was. i eventually figured it out and a human/herb love affair was born.
  15. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

No, you're just a picky eater!
  16. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Ah I'll eat it if I have to. It's no garlic.
  17. ila

ila TRIBE Member

It's the Thrills of the plant world. Some people get it, some don't.

Anyway, after being told it tastes like soap, I like it less than I once did.
  18. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

I never understood why there were 2 names for it. Here's what I came up with:

Cilantro is the Spanish word for coriander leaves. It is also sometimes called Chinese or Mexican parsley. Technically, coriander refers to the entire plant. It is a member of the carrot family.

Chopped fresh leaves are widely used in Mexican and Tex-Mex cooking, where they are combined with chilies and added to salsas, guacamoles, and seasoned rice dishes.

Most people either LOVE IT or HATE IT. Taste experts aren't sure why, but for some people the smell of fresh coriander is fetid and the taste soapy. In other words, while most people love coriander, for some people, coriander just doesn't taste good.

When purchasing, look for leaves that are tender, aromatic, and very green. If it has no aroma, it will have no flavor. Avoid wilted bunches with yellowing leaves. Tip: Fresh cilantro does not keep well, and the flavor of dried is not comparable. To store fresh coriander, pick out any wilted leaves, and put it in a jar with water like a bunch of flowers. Cover the leaves with a plastic bag and put the whole thing in the refrigerator. Change the water every two days or so, picking out any wilted leaves when you do.

Coriander is the dried seed of the cilantro. The seeds are round like tiny balls. They are used whole or ground as a flavoring for food and as a seasoning. The seeds are used in curries, curry powder, pickles, sausages, soups, stews, and ratatouille. The essential seed oil is used in various herbal remedies and dietary supplements, and to flavor gin, vermouth, liqueurs, tobacco and perfumery.
  19. Snapper

Snapper TRIBE Member

Can't stand the stuff, but I love Thrills gum!
  20. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

the scientific reason is because some people are retards.
  21. kaniz

kaniz TRIBE Member

Hrmm, not sure if cilantro tastes like soap to me or not, but ginger tastes soapy to me at times.

hate this stuff -- ruins any dish it enters
  23. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Cilantro... the culinary equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard.
  24. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

First couple times I wasn't crazy about it, but then I fell in love with Pho and started cooking with it and now it's all good.

Coincidentally I just got back from my fav. Pho place for lunch!
  25. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

You all need to eat more soap.

Cilantro and ginger are teh awesome!