1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Why do former alcoholics drink coffee 24/7?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by swilly, Jan 30, 2009.

1. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

I have noticed this trend among former boozers a lot.

Like HOLY SHIT they put back sometimes 7-10 cups of coffee in a day and smoke a pack of cigs too.

Man if have more than 2 in a day I feel messed up and sick from all the caffiene and can't think.

I don't know how they do it and or go around so dehydrated all the time.

I almost wonder if having a couple of beers a day is not better than drinking 4 liters of coffee and smoking a pack of cigs every afternoon.

2. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

Because alcoholics are replacing one vice with another and are often encouraged to do so in their treatment.

And you should realize that an alcoholic can't have just a few beers a day.
  3. swilly

swilly TRIBE Member

Man they encourage them to smoke and drink that much coffee?

That is fucked up!

Can't they encourage them to get into green tea and meditation or trailer park boys rehab and get on the erb.
  4. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

I work with a guy that drinks about 8 cups of coffee in a day. I've never seen him drink a glass of water. I don't understand how he survives.
  5. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I dont like coffee or I would of been able to nip my alcohol problem in the butt ages ago.
  6. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

no, they just recommend that you don't try and quit smoking at the same time as alcohol. Alcoholics end up smoking a tonne because it is all they can do.
  7. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

what's the deal with tv dinners?
  8. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Coffee is a great way to socialize with others without alcohol. "Let's go for coffee". It is one way to change your habits. Move your socializing to cafes instead of bars/clubs/boozing alone.

Also lots of coffee going on at AA meetings. Just seems like the normal path to take..booze to coffee. Makes sense to me.
  9. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

I see these people, and they seem a bit weird.
  10. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

The drugs that stupider people get "addicted" to are: nicotine, caffeine, and heroin.

Smaller brains can utilize "useless" drugs such as nicotine or caffeine in smaller quantities than can larger, better brains.

Physiologically then, it is as though caffeine and nicotine "addicts" are monkey-like as opposed to human-like.
  11. PosTMOd

Because of the physiological difference, a big-brain human cannot in fact be "addicted" to anything. Small brain monkeys easily become "addicted" to caffeine and/or nicotine.
  12. BAd Luck

BAd Luck TRIBE Member

eat a dick.
    I had two shots of rum in my coffee and smoked 4cigs for breakfast.
    I am addicted to everything.
    why fuck around when you can get two birds stoned with one...nevermind.
  13. gsnuff

gsnuff TRIBE Promoter

Pfffft... I might have that much with breakfast this morning.
    Semi-intense coffee consumption might seem a little strange to the uninitiated but cigarette smoking it ain't.
  14. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

the question i want to know the answer to is: why does black coffee leave me with jangly nerves + I crash out after an hour, but tea (black, white, green, whatever) doesn't?
  15. djdeposit

djdeposit TRIBE Member

Coffee regenerates livers...
  16. Aleks

Aleks TRIBE Member

hahah...i have recently cut out the booze and i have definitely sub consciously gravitated towards caffeine!
  17. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

i drink about 10 a day AND i'm an alcoholic.

What happens now?
  18. [SQUARE]

[SQUARE] TRIBE Member

You sound like an energetic and dehydrated alcoholic.
  19. PosTMOd

Slightly differently substituted methylxanthines.
  20. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

is that true or untrue?
  21. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Yup..definitely very dehydrated. And probably very yellow urine.
  22. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

surprisingly no!
    maybe once a week i'll get that. Like - after drinking half a bottle of whiskey the night previous.
  23. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

24. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I think it's just that there's a lot more caffeine in coffee than tea (any kind). Coffee shops like Tim's, Starbucks, Second Cup also have rediculously high levels of caffeine in their coffee compared with regular home brew.

When I last visited my sister she used Tim Horton's brand coffee grinds and one mug would make me feel so sketchy whereas I can drink cup after cup of my favourite dark roast at home and never get the same feeling. If you like coffee but just don't like the jitters, make the switch over to higher end (organic, fair trade, blah blah blah), and darker roasts. Darker roasts have less caffeine than their lighter counterparts and the flavour is so much better that it will turn you into a coffee snob.
  25. djglobalkiller

djglobalkiller TRIBE Promoter

i take an allergy pill everyday, and even tho it says non drowsy, it spaces you out... so i have 2 redbulls a day to counter it, and stay fresh and alert.. i bet my body will hate me later