1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Who's down with downtempo?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by KickIT, Mar 6, 2002.

1. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Who likes downtempo music? If so, who do you like? Do you like the trippy ambient stuff or the more trip hoppy bubbly stuff? Let's see a show of hands.

*c*

2. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

My idea of downtempo listening is:

Witchman, Gas, Boards of Canada, lotsa dub stuff, Kit Clayton, y'know, slow but still with an edge.

BBB.

Ah, Witchman..

3. Aphrodite

Aphrodite TRIBE Member

trippy ambient but I find it's more for chillin bymyself then a club.. hmmm... hoblly bubbly? I'd have to hear that before comenting! lol

thanks for the PM Chuck.. I got it too late so I couldn't make it. but I'll definately check it out soon! thanx for thinking of me!

and if you ever need anyone to spin ambient/melodic drum and bass.. Chiclet loves to spin it! (and I'm sick of her trance records ;)) plus she's goooood!

4. deep

deep TRIBE Member

dj shadow, dj food, thievery corporation, choko, bola, boards of canada, massive attack, portishead, lamb, unkle, radiohead, nin, etc.etc.

5. deep

deep TRIBE Member

FYI cass & slide essential mix and unkle's essential mix recently broadcasted are reccomended dl's if you're a downtempo head.

Ambient / IDM as a genre is interesting but sometimes falls into the trap of getting so experimental in sound that it loses its listenability. The Fyuti album by Bola is an example of when an artist can pull off both listenability and experimentation successfully.

6. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

i remember seeing him open up for the orb a while back. he was shamelessly advertising his website during his set. but it was a good set and the repitition of his name worked itself into my subconsious. i hate advertising.

i don't know many names but i do enjoy listening to and writing
    ambient.

check out my partner's site http://www.mfdh.ca/~isocat/

<---- shamless self-promoter!

7. deep

deep TRIBE Member

tom heasley's set on 1groove's sound escape was one of the more interesting ambient sets I've listened to. Very minimalistic and eerie - done with only a tuba and effects I believe. Could have been the soundtrack to the movie Aliens or 2001...

Check it out if you've got the chance.

8. AshG

AshG Member

don't know much about ambient but for downtempo i really like Mark Farina's mushroom jazz (vol.1).

9. cdp

cdp TRIBE Member

If we broaden a bit more, my afternoon playlist includes:

LTJ, smokers delight, fizzarum, the avalanches, buscemi, autechre...

I'm not a trancy/progressive guy at all.

cHar.les

10. poker face

poker face TRIBE Member

Groovetech always has some good downtempo on it!

kruder and dorfmiester are always dope!

11. deep

deep TRIBE Member

here is my reccomended downtempo listening list for the audience of no one who gives a shit.

dj shadow - devil's advocate
    dj shadow - stem long stem
    thievery corporation - lebanese blonde
    lamb - all in your hands
    mazzy star - fade into you
    cass & slide - all the freaks
    cosmos - take me with you
    bola - magnasushi, forcasa III,
    boards of canada - music is math, sixty-niner
    synaesthesia - barred spirals
    radiohead - i might be wrong, everything in its right place, all of kid a basically, talk show host
    gus gus - anthem
    nin - a warm place, all of the fragile

dj food - freedom [fila brazilia mix], the crow
    aphex twin - flim, alberto balsalm
    fluke - ok
    furry phreaks feat. terra deva - soothe [chicane cyanide dive mix]
    legion of green men - synaptic reversed
    portishead - roads
    depeche mode - useless [kruder & dorfmeister remix]
    alice in chains - nutshell
    the cure - burn
    madonna - frozen [stereo mc's remix]​

12. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I really like Teebee and the Future Engineers on the atmospheric DnB tip.

13. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

Check out Farina's mushroom jazz vol. 3.
    It's by far my favorite.

I love downtempo - it matches the pace of my life right now. :) slow and hazy.

I like dj shadow, dj krush, K & D, thievery corporation.

oh, and i hear Aria's having this awesome sunday night weekly called dragonfly starting this sunday. That's where i'll be!

14. cdp

cdp TRIBE Member

for a more d&bish thing, here are some people to something to download (cause you ain't gonna get it at the store):

Dj Marky
    Patife
    XRS

Really good stuff.

Actually, they are kinda unknown in n. america.

I'm curious: anyone here ever hear of them?

15. willis

willis TRIBE Member

Acid Jazz was why I got into electronic music. I’m into jazzy breakbeat type stuff, my favorite artist are...

Kruder and Dorfmeister
    Mr. Scruff
    Dj Krush
    Dj Food
    Coldcut
    Nightmares on wax
    Thievery Corporation

I probably have something from all those artists in the tribe FTP.

16. tella

tella TRIBE Member

are you kidding me...i've been trying to convince ppl to bring in patife for quite some time. marky's been here two or three times (my memory fails me) but neither patife or xrs have been here. eitherway, check out patife's cool step cd (sexy, jazzy brazillian sounds) or dj marky's brazillian job.

17. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

Funny I just finished listening to Lamb - Goreki (Global Communication Mix) and this thread came up. I don't listen to d&b normally but I sorta have the urge for it right now. Anyone got any suggestions that sounds similar to that song? Not looking for trip hop but more of a laid back d&b sound.

Pete

PS. Suggestions of certain sets are prefered since it's too much of a hassle to download singles.

18. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

downtempo is great.
    a few names that come to mind:
    ~Portishead
    ~DJ Cam
    ~Massive Attack
    ~Coldcut
    ~DJ Food
    ~Amon Tobin
    and pretty much any thing on Ninja Tunes

19. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

I loooove it :)

20. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

not in the jungle community. VERY well known:)

21. Sassy

Sassy TRIBE Member

I am a fan of downtempo! There is nothing better sometimes than smoking a fattie and relaxing at home listening to chill beats.

All my favorites have already been listed so no need to reiterate, a couple I have never checked out and definitely will do so. :)

22. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Yes I think downtempo is definitely underappreciated. I like the fact that its common ground for people who are generally into different types of music.

I for one love:

K&D
    DJ Cam
    Peanut Butter Wolf
    Massive Attack
    Pete Rock (Petestrumentals)
    Morcheeba

*c*

23. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Does anyone know of good local downtempo DJs or DJs who love to play downtempo?

*c*

24. deep

deep TRIBE Member

dj choko

check his show "the downlow" out @ 1groove.com

25. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

Choko's the goods! Any DJ named Chuck has to be good :) Anyhow, I heard he is leaving the show which sucks.

*c*