1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Who here remembers Deadly Hedley on CFNY?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by roti, Mar 21, 2002.

1. roti

roti TRIBE Member

2. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

"Are you dressed yet!?!"

:D

That was Hedley's shout out. It would be 2:00 in the morning and we would be going from RPM's to an afterhours with Hedley on the mike.

I still have some old tapes of his radio sets.

Good times indeed.

:)

3. roti

roti TRIBE Member

oh i miss those days

I remember that He would drop "Public Enemy #1".......1......1.....1

Roti

4. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

hedleys show in the early 90's broke future sound of london " papua new guinea" after he came back from a trip to london...played wicked hip hop, d&b, reggae...nothing better than 6am ambient sounds played by the deadley one...i still may have a few tapes lying around...

jc

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Deadley Headley.... woah, havent heard that one in ages....
    i can hear him now....... "wheel and come again!" hahaha
    memories.

6. roti

roti TRIBE Member

wheel and come again

"wheel and come again"...what a classic Phrase by the wise man of 80's dance music.

RoTi

7. Cydome

Cydome TRIBE Member

Yeah I used to listen to that guy a while back. Didn't he have a show on 1Groove for a bit too? He reminded me of the Ladies Man, the way he MCed on his show.

Cy

8. Mark McC

Mark McC TRIBE Member

my 2cents on the Deadly Threadley

Who here remembers dancing to Headley's vintage acid house sets at "Club Max" (before that part of Peter St. was called Blue Jay Way)?
    I can't comment on that long-expired club's vibe in general, but Headley's sets were tight.

Not that the man's disappeared or anything. Respect.

9. nusty

nusty TRIBE Member

"cause you gotta get up to get down" said in his usual ladies man kind of voice.

10. tEkKiD

tEkKiD TRIBE Promoter

yes, and he still does a show along many others

at

www.djshows.com

peace.

11. Finch

Finch TRIBE Member

You forgot the best part!

"You gotta get up to get down, and while you're down there, give the DJ some!"

Hedley's the bomb. Been working with him for quite some time now, and he gets more out of control every time I see him.

He got a promoter so drunk at a party we played out west, _I_ had to drive the promoter's car around just to make sure we got to the airport on time! *grins*

Respect for starting this thread. The man deserves some shouts.

Finch.

12. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

hey mark, max was the breeding ground for hi-bias recordings...jason steele (i totally forget his name) used to dj there...what a great club with a total underground vibe (in the beginning)...i used to hit this place up on a regular basis when i first turned 19...

jc

ps proud owner of the first 5 hi bias 12" releases...

13. Loopster

Loopster TRIBE Member

Memories indeed!!! It was great fun listening to the show on the way to or from fun!

Only complaint (and this is very, very minor ... especially since I'm sure it was undertaken with its final effect in mind) - they'd always start some great tune, play about 30 seconds & then mix it into something else ...

Damn!!! Just when you were ready to go through the roof!

But the mixes were great! The commentary was often quite funny ... & most of all, the music was fun. Sigh. :)

I miss CFNY when it was good ... (SO LONG AGO!)

I know this comment will get me into HUGE trouble, but I also miss Humble & Fred on FM. I know they could be complete morons when they dipped into the lower reaches of their material, but when they were ON, they were hilarious!

Just my 2 cents & agreement with your reflections ...

14. roti

roti TRIBE Member

and what about hedley?

Not sure if you mention hedley????
    ha ha ha

Humble and fred was the bomb! two funny characters

RoTi

15. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

h&f were so much better than steve anthonys morning show debacle when they went top 40 during the day around the summer of 91... :D

jc

16. Loopster

Loopster TRIBE Member

So true. No wonder they had to eventually bring 'em back.

I can't bear to listen to them on MOJO however ... it's a principle thing ... besides, I'm a chick & I think I'd be doing a huge disservice to other females out there if I even *considered* doing so. :D

BTW - Roti ... one of my best pals was a HUGE fan of Hedley; she used to go to the Lizard Lounge all the time ... wish I'd experienced it first hand ... it was gone by the time I tried to go ... :(

p.s. calling h&f the bomb brought me lovely memories of Green Velvet ...

17. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Oh yea.....:D
    Wasn't he on right after Chris Sheppard?

He has an awesome voice! :)
    Props to that man!

18. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

"Live, from the Lizard Lounge"

19. Dr Trance

Dr Trance TRIBE Member

To Cheesewhiz

Cheezewiz:
    I'm sorry--really sorry--about that Steve Anthony thing.
    I REALLY thought it would work, but I should have known that somebody with three jobs wouldhave to sacrifice the quality on one of them.
    It was kinda funny, though, to walk into the morning show studio at 11am and find him sleeping under the desk...
    =d=

20. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

^^^

don, growing up in toronto it was all about cfny & you were such an integral part of this era...with cfny being "the spirit of radio" we identified with this station more than any one music style...cfny transcended so many music scenes, from new wave, to industrial, to ska, to techno, to reggae, to hip hop etc...

weeknights were spent listening to scott turner, when he threw any playlist out the window, played extended mixes, new tracks, whatever he felt was good music (thats why 107.9 was so good at the beginning with his taste in tunes)...

saturdays nights started with craig beesack warming up the house...always a great selection of new tunes (& endless ads for the cotton club)...

i still remember driving down to nitrous 013 & sheppard had 2 unlimited in the studio...totally pumping up the party that night, & we all remember how silly (& innocent i guess) 2 unlimited were on stage that night...listening to his stories of the happy mondays & their e expolits shortly before hearing hallelujah for the first time...hearing a 20minute version of the orbs adventures beyond the ultraworld & shep going on about this genius alex patterson...

i still remember looking around the early nitrous parties & through talking with people realizing we were all ex-cfny listeners (or on the verge of ex'ing ourselves)...
    if i remember correctly you were program director at cfny & responsible for so much of the good things...i vaguely remember an article by lee carter in eye or now shortly after everyone walked out of the station & realizing there would never be another station like cfny...

thanks for the memories...!!!

jc