when did you stop listening to trance? =D

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by ADT, Mar 5, 2002.

1. matty

matty TRIBE Member

Re: Genres

Any truly great genre of music will never 'reach the limit of it's creative envelope'

2. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

that's funny in so many ways...!!

3. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Re: Re: Genres

just like the ukelele

kekekekekekekke

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I used to live for trance.

Over time I started listening to and buying anything that was darker and not so epic, and eventually I turned to prog and now I'm still into that but I'm starting to have a new found appreciation for techno and tech house.

I can't think of one particular piece of music that turned me away from trance, it happend very gradually. But don't get me wrong... I still like some of it, just as long as it's hard and dark. I also like goa.

It seems like a lot of people when they first got into "the scene" and "underground" dance music, started off liking trance and over time their musical tastes evolved and they moved on.
    Honestly, I think it ges back to drugs in a lot of cases. E and trance go well together, especially if you're new to both of them.

5. Doll

Doll TRIBE Member

Agreed. I'd say 90% of trance has no funk or no soul in it, but I'm sure there is the odd exception. You don't dance, you bop your head and pump your arms to it.

Trance is progressive without house.

Doll

6. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I still listen to trance too! my first kickstarters were discotech and timeless trance.

now it's all about experience... 3 discs of gatecrasher sweetness.. :)

7. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I still listen to trance...it was the first genre I was interested in, and I have a lot of fond memories associated with it. I'm also beginning to listen to other forms of music like techno and goa more often...I don't think that you have to abandon one type of music to appreciate another.

I also disagree with the statement that trance is not danceable...I dance my best to trance, followed by techno. I guess it all depends on your style of dance...mine is a really fast paced kick-step/quick-step of my own design. I have a harder time dancing to house because I find the pace is a bit slower.... I can easily dance to techno, though I find that I get tired easily. I like to dance to trance becuase it has drop-offs which allow me to take a break from the bursts of highly energetic dancing produced by the builds. I'm not saying that this is the ONLY way to dance...but you certainly don't need to have funk to move to music...you just need to find a beat.

and all electronic music has a beat!!! :D

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Agreed on all points. Evan, it's like we're, like, walkin the same road in life, like.

9. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

You're right, a genre should not. But the predominant style within a genre can easily become played out ... like "epic" in the case of trance, or "grunge" in the case of alternative rock, for example.

10. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

When did you stop listening to trance?

From birth to always.

BBB.

I don't like most trance. Sue me.

11. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

True...trance has pretty much beaten the epic horse to death. But I think we're missing the fact that the production of trance involves marketing strategies (like any other music type)...and a lot of overdone epic trance has been generated by newer producers. It seems to me that these guys aren't really concerned with making quality music as much as they care about making money. And the easiest way to do this is to massively produce large quantities of an item that is in high demand. Trance rose to its peak in popularity becuase it had epic qualities that no other music genre did. So, producers looking to make a buck simply flooded the market with epic-style trance...thus wearing out the epic genre.

Wouldn't this happen to any genre that gains massive popularity? Hasn't this happened in the past to house?

12. Stormshadow

Stormshadow TRIBE Member

People stop listening to trance after they pee out that last little bit of MDMA left in their system.

Niall, I could have sworn you're a trancehead? Where's the white gloves at?

13. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Never started...

14. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

i don't know why or when. i don't think it was a particular thing. but "apparently", according to some people, i now like boring music (yes, you know who you are!!!! :p ) but this is nothing new. i've been accused of this for ages...from whatever other stuff i used to listen to. but to me it's not boring. however, i can see why people think it is. and yes, some of it does put me to sleep.

anyways...not to say that i don't still enjoy the odd set of "nu-Trance", and a few older tunes, or seeing trance djs that are actually good. the key word is un-cheesy! but to be perfectly honest, i just don't like it as much as progressive...(and i'm really starting to really like techno) and i'm sure this could all change just as my tastes evolve once again. i just find that it just has more to it. as anyone who has heard me talk about "the layers" lol knows. and if that sounds kinda wanky, then sorry :)

15. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

I HATE DANNY TENAGLIA.

I've tried listening to various sets he's done, and though I enjoy some "progressive" (though not all), I can't get into Danny at all. I've tried GU London, which is the most boring album I have ever heard. Then Athens, same problem though a little better. Then some set I found online called Deep Tribal House - poo. How does one dance to these majorly slowed-down no-change beats? Seriousy, what pitch does this guy use, cause its not even funky.

OK, I've heard he can spin for like 15 hours at a time, but if those marathons are anything like I've heard so far, then I for one would be fast asleep after an hour.

Just so you dont think i hate all "progressive", here's my personal fave "progressive" - i just don't get Tenaglia at all.

Quivver - Transport 5
    Sasha + digweed - Northern Exposure 2 - West Coast
    Dave Seaman - Renaissance Desire
    Seaman - GU Cape Town
    Deep Dish - Renaissance Ibiza (though I for one found their GU to be disappointing)
    Parks + Wilson - E Mix 2000
    Nick Warren - GU Amsterdam - disc 2 is sweet!

So, what's the deal with this man? Is it the live experience? Cause IMO his track selection is about one step above subliminal shiiite..........

:)d

16. Illogistix

Illogistix TRIBE Member

Dude

Are you really looking to some crummy compilations to really see what DT is all about?

He don't play any of his best tracks on those shits man...he saves them for his live gigs, when he kills you with track after track of the dirtiest beats you ever will hear.

When you go see Dirty Danny live - then you will know.

17. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Wow....lets look at some lineups comin'...

Armin van Buuren - April 6
    Sahsa & Digweed - April 26th
    Dave Seaman - May 19

I don't know...if you can't dance to these guys...you can't dance...:rolleyes:

I never stopped btw... :D

18. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Well, actually I've heard many people raving about his GU series, including the gentleman/lady I quoted above, and I'm just saying:

How can his live sets be THAT much better than a compilation? Its sure not the case for 99 percent of other big-name progressive DJ's.................

:)d

19. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Danny Teneglia transends genres. To say he is a progressive DJ in the mold of some of the others you listed is inaccurate. And yes, his live sets are better than than any compilations you have heard. I'm not a big fan of any compilation he has been a part of. His GU London disks are boring. Take a trip to Montreal or New York to see him.

20. ADT

ADT TRIBE Member

thank you for the response which is actually ON TOPIC..

:D

everyone else PISS OFF!

(just kidding)

v..abstractdatatype

[​IMG]

21. BreakzBroad

BreakzBroad Well-Known Member

ewwwwww.....yukki, puey trance!!! trance is ass. I never listened listened to it. But my godawful ex-bf did. so i guess i generally got to stop hearing that shit in the car when i broke up with him!!!!!!!! terrible terrible music.

I cannot dance to it at all. i dont get how ppl. do. like someone said b4, it has no funk! u gotta have the funk!

*jen*

22. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

or the bazuki

23. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i never stopped

i still listen to trance

i listen to all types of music, and always have

i used to be "trance in your pants" for a few years, but that was because the majority of good new music WAS trance at the time

now since there's no more money for "trance in my pants", they're money for "i'm going to hypnotize you and then eat you alive with my evil dark tribal ethereal rhythm", so we all listen to progressive instead.

THE END.

24. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Saying one used to like trance then their musical tastes evolved is a little inaccurate, since if it had actually evolved you wouldn't stop listening to one form of music, you would start listening to others as well............

Also, this comment is a huge generalization; maybe the Toronto trance scene is mostly all-ages with much E consumed, but that's sure not true for the rest of the world. And even if it was, how's it any fault of a genre's quality?

One thing cracks me up: Breaks snobs. Used to be techno snobs, but then breakers started blasting anything that's a 4/4 beat............

I dunno, I enjoy some of most genres out there. But I like a lot of goa and a lot of trance. I love some house, and then there's some house that's just bad. And techno? Some's good, especially when on E (though I don't dabble any more), but I couldn't fathom jumping into my car and blasting techno for the entire drive.

Trance, however..........:D

:)D

25. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

when everybody started playing progressive :p