What do you want from life?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by pr0nstar, Jan 22, 2002.

1. DarkRave

DarkRave TRIBE Member

Originally posted by MoFo:
    I'd like to remind all of you (since we've been discussing ideologies in class lately) that all our wants and needs for the future are bi-products of growing up in a Western culture fueled by capitalism, patriarchal morals and Western standards of living.

Hmmmm. Yes. I'm not sure about patriarchal, but youre definitely right about the above.

Ask someone from Uguanda or Brussels and they'll tell you something totally different.

You are also right about this but ultimately as long as they find happiness what does it matter how different it is?

I find it strange that people want to find that perfect job or want to have that family when they reach their 30's. It scares me to think that we have deemed these goals (having kids, settling down, making money...) represent wealth, happiness and stability.

We do not see the same blue colour. but what does it matter if we agree that we are both seeing blue? hmmmm.. you are starting to generalize.

If you think about it, what else can you possibly choose from to actually fulfill our human lives? We have no choice but to work hard now so we can "enjoy" ourselves in the future.

I do not agree with you on this point. We can work hard now and enjoy ourselves now and later. It all depends on what you consider important.

Western culture has given us the right of choice but ultimately it has lessened our choices in the end.

No. We lessen our own choices regardless of what culture we belong to. Humans are sooo silly. As we get older we forget how to play. Things get too serious and we forget how to say YAY!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!! YIPPPEEEEE!! and really mean it. *giggles* So no.

On a serious note. Millions of "westerners" died recently (less than a century ago)so we can have the right of choice. Sunny, to say that all those people died so we can have our rights/choices lessened is just wrong dude.

love and laughter..

pen

2. mandapanda

mandapanda TRIBE Member

i want to graduate in 2.5 years.
    i want to be a fashion editor/stylist.
    i want to live in the UK or Berlin.
    i want success.
    i want to have fun.
    i want to travel.
    oh yes, and i want to learn how to dj, not just stand there looking frightened by all the little thingies!
    so, pretty much your basic list there.

3. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

I want to be me
    I want to live the life less ordinary
    I want to travel the world
    I want to see people and places and understand cultures
    I want to laugh
    I want to cry
    I want to love
    I want to LIVE

~allie~

4. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

what do i want in life?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    that is all.

5. deep

deep TRIBE Member

right click -> save as, and those pictures can be yours

6. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

happiness
    tranquility
    someone
    a genuine smile

p[l]a+0

7. kurtz

kurtz TRIBE Member

After reading some of the listed threads of this topic, I respond, 'Sometimes it is equally good not to 'map out' or find subjective meaning to one's life’, as a lot of you are. Looking for a design or 'clockwork' meaning to the universe will easily allow for vicious regress, raise morality issues and even give problems to science (evolution). The only system or meaning I subscribe to life is, ‘the law of thermodynamics’. a) you cannot win; matter and energy are conserved. b) you cannot break even; cannot return to the same entropy state, since disorder always increased. c) you cannot get out of the game; absolute zero is unobtainable.

I used to criticize god for rushing on the universe, now I just think he has a sense of irony. And getting the joke is half the battle! [​IMG]

Peace~

8. Tonedeff

Tonedeff TRIBE Member

Mistah Kurtz--he dead

9. deep

deep TRIBE Member

the horrar, the horrar

10. Mr_Furious

Mr_Furious TRIBE Member

I was to be blissfully happy or blissfully ignorant.....

I think all people generally want the same things. I feel that my entire life all i've wanted is to be happy, and all i've done is work towards that goal. However, i'd settle for being blissfully ignorant, at least I wouldn't be clued in enough to even realize what's going on around me. I think we all work towards the same goals. A lot of what we do seems to be for the future. A lot of what we do seems that we're all just striving for the ultimate goal to be *happy*. I'm starting to come to the realization that you can never be completly *happy* with what's going on, just *content* and even then, you can't go up without coming down.
    Lately I've been thinking about settling down a lot and im not really sure why. I think we're all looking to settle down, we just have to find the right person. So, Ideally....I guess I'd have to say, I'm not ovely concerned with material things. I'm more concerned with my own psychological well being. I guess in the future, i'd like to get married, and have kids. Two car garage, white picket fence, 2.5 kids, 1.5 pets. I just don't like to hold too much importance on something that I only have a certain amount of control over.
    I guess, to answer the question "what do you want from life?" I'd have to say.....I wanna be completely self-sufficent. I wanna be in a state of complete inner peace, a state of utter content. I wanna be completly free from wants, needs, and desires.
    It's kind of like what buddhists believe....

life is suffering, suffering comes from desire.

11. InFa

InFa TRIBE Member

Mr. Doleman,

Good to hear from you!

This is a quote from a book which explores the meaning of life. The point is that it seems to me that we are never satisified with what we have. There is always the desire for happiness. Once you have acheived all your 'goals' you can sit back and enjoy for a couple of minutes until you begin to want more... usually because someone else has it. And the cycle continues. "This is meaningless, a chasing after the wind." That's what I found to be true so far in my life.
    Now that is not to say I don't find enjoyment from 'things'. I love the feeling of dancing to a great song, laughing with friends, watching a good movie, meeting new people and learning about their lives... but inevitabily these things all pass. Hence, my happiness can not be rooted in these things, for in my heart is eternity.
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

p.s. Are you getting married? Congrats if so! That's great news! I hope I'll get to meet her one day

one, two, cha cha cha, three, four, cha cha cha

12. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I've already got all I want in life... is it too early for this to be true?

Occasionally I'll ask myself "If I were to die tomorrow, would I be happy with the life I lived?" and almost every time the answer is a definite yes. Sure I haven't been around for that long, but I've done everything that I've wanted to up until now.

Of course there are so many other things that I want to do in the near future... travel everywhere, produce psy trance, change society for the better, hold in my hands a pound of the finest herb [​IMG]... but not having them isn't keeping me down, nor is it making me feel like my life is incomplete without them.

I like some of the first quotes in this thread, that the meaning of life is about giving meaning to life, and about evolving consciously, and as long as I continue to live in this way I have nothing to complain about. [​IMG]

Pete

13. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I am a materialistic person (is this news to anyone?). I do want a big house, nice car, etc. I'm working on it though.

But that isn't what defines happiness. Those are just all bonuses to quality of life.

I know exactly what I want in my life right now. I just haven't been sucessful in obtaining it.

I think that once this summer rolls around, a lot of things will have changed for me, and I will be much closer to being where I want to be in life and this stage of the game.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

14. DarkRave

DarkRave TRIBE Member

I would suggest reading "The Transformed Mind" The book is composed from the Dalai Lama's teachings in the span of 9 years. He speaks about his reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness. Also click herefor more info on Buddhism.

love and laughter..

pen

15. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

Nice to hear from you too.

A marriage will definitely be in the near future, date currently unknown. The pregancy is more of a surprise, or gift as I call it, and we'll look into marriage within the next couple of years. I'm very excited and happy with regards to the pending birth, but getting married first isn't a neccessity for either of us. I offered to do it in a legal sense (ie. go see the Justice of the Peace), but Jamie felt that it wasn't necessary. I think she's afraid she won't get a "real" wedding when the time comes.

The above has a lot to do with my position concerning how to achieve happiness. I realize that happiness won't just fly by me like a butterfly, that it's something tangible that I can strive for. I always am, and always will be happy and I don't find discontent in my life. I see it that you can be happy AND strive for more. Most people interpret that as meaning that I'm never satisfied, or that I'm a perfectonist, but I don't agree. I'm very happy with my life right now, but I know that I deserve more and I know that I can achieve more in life than what I have.

Right now, it's pretty easy to identify all of the other things that I can do to improve myself physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually because I've only been around for 25 years and I've still go a long way to go. Having a child is one step, but there's more to come.

When I'm 80 and sitting there reflecting on my life, I won't be disappointed when thinking about the things I didn't do. Instead, I'll know that I just didn't want those things badly enough, and chose to reflect on all the things I did do. My personality is one that likes to set markers along the way so that I know where I'm going, where I am, and where I've been. I plan vacations for christsake [​IMG]

In the end, I just find it difficult to see how others chose not to do the same thing, because I know how important it's been in my life.

For example, just to pick on Kenny for a moment. I set a goal to finish university, to be the first in my family to do it, and I did. Not only that, but I set my sights on finishing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Can you guess what the result of this was? I set the bar and met the challenge while still maintaing a 15 hour a week job. In the end though, a greater lesson was learned because after my first year I had a GPA of 3.54, which soon dropped back down to my original benchmark of 3.0 or higher. Had I increased my expectations, I'd be sitting here today with a GPA of 3.5 of higher, instead of 3.16. That doesn't mean I'm not happy with what I've done, because I am. I just realize that I could have asked more of myself and gotten more. I think that if Kenny had the same goal (ie. finish the program), he wouldn't have credits remaining. Maybe the goal is to finish it in the next few years, or like me, be happy with what he did achieve and leave it at that.

My fault is that I feel other should conform to the same basic ideologies, but I guess that planning, goal-setting, etc. aren't basic traits that everyone upholds. To each his own in the end and as long as everyone is happy, that's fine.

I asked for definition and that's all I wanted. It's not to say that everyone needs to know how they'll do it, but if you look back through this thread, it's much easier to identify with the people who were specific, rather than vaguely saying they're searching for happiness.

I think that the people who have a clearer defintion of what makes them happy and how they'll achieve it will be better off at being happy and reaching those goals because they'll know where they've been, what they've done, and what was important to them. But, that's just me.

Thanks to everyone for sharing and continue to do so. I hope that you all achieve happiness in your own right, however you define it.

Jason

P.S. New goal --> learn how to be more concise, and not so long-winded when posting on Tribe [​IMG]

16. The Magical White Isle

The Magical White Isle TRIBE Member

Health
    Happieness
    Success
    Close Family
    Good friends
    Good times
    A partner worth sharing the joys of my life with, and who can be a good mother to my (future) children and a good wife to me.

Luckily I have all of these things already and I am only 24, except for the last one, which is always a work in progress. No rush though. Life is good, no complaints.

T

17. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I'm saying that our perception of happiness has been pretty much standardized by Western culture and capitalism. I'm not saying anyone's choices are wrong. I'm commenting more on the nature of their choices and why a certain person of a particular culture has notions of what's happiness. And why it's so different from someone else from a non-Eurocentric background.

I don't understand what you mean. I was commenting again on the nature of these choices that Western culture has seemed to have deemed as "happiness" and "success." I don't regard any of these (money, kids, family...) to be the only elements of a successful life.

I don't think most members of society are doing much to be "happy" at the moment. I think we all toil and we end up having to cope with the stress with something like... a weekend. But inevitably, the rest of the 5 days is spent toiling again. I guess it depends whether you want to live a utopian life or you want to slave yourself and reap the benefits later. Some people are doing exactly what makes them happy, some people are not finding vocations at all.

What are you referring to? The wars that happened? If you're talking about war and how it "freed" us and gave us the wonderful world we liv in today, then I totally disagree. A booming economy and our supposed "democratic government" does not constitute the "streets paved with gold" for everyone. To me, it's more like the streets are paved with golden arches.

We don't have true choice. We have choices given to us. There's a big difference between free will and propagandic notions that we, as members of a functioning society," have complete involvement in what goes on. The only thing we still have is our love and laughter. So I commend your positiveness.

pen

[/QUOTE]