What do you want from life?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by pr0nstar, Jan 22, 2002.

1. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

Taleen,

What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Why aren't you doing that?

ANSWER: Because YOU tell yourself you CAN'T. Either consciously, un-consciously or by agreement with those who tell you that you can't. Or, you do a good job at making excuses (re: I'm too lazy). Were you born lazy? Nope. You learned it. You can un-learn it too.

Listen to Yoda: There is no try. Only do and do not.

I'm not saying it's easy, or fun, but it will definitely be rewarding. Define what will make you happy and do everything you can to achieve it - without excuses.

NOTE: This is not meant as a personal attack, just my opinion. But since my goal is to make both myself and everyone around me better people, I'm inclined to offer my advice.

Jason

2. Sassy

Sassy TRIBE Member

Oh Cheeka! We will turn that [​IMG] into a [​IMG] tonight over a big fat drinks and a bigger, fatter spliff, I promise. Keep your head up girl!

3. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

we have been friends for WAY to many years for this... 5 years later- ah whatever!
    ugh stupid boys

yep - drinks + spliff = [​IMG]

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Im the QUEEN of saying "I can't". Only because I don't want to fail. I HATE loosing.. so I figure why bother. i don;t do that for lil things tho... Im quit the wildchild... but it's big things.. things that people like my family have so much confidence in me.. and things that will show so much.. like school.. Im scared to do good.. because if I fail.. it's gonna hit me had.. i take things hard.. turn into an emotional wreck at times.. but for years.. I've stopped all that... blocked myself and made excuses. I figure, if I deserve it.. it will come to me.

5. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

I know the feeling. For the longest time I wanted to help people achieve financial freedom. I started work as an Consultant at Investors Group, but realized that it wasn't what I expected and I really didn't enjoy it. So, 6 months in, I quit. It's now over a year later and I have yet to find another full time position.

The important thing is that I don't believe that I failed because I learned something about myself, and I learned how to approach my next decision more carefully.

Therefore, it wasn't a mistake or a failure, but a learning experience because I am now better prepared for the next time.

Fear of failure is the greatest fear of all, but don't let not making a decision trap you in a situation that will be harder to get out of then had you made the decision in the first place.

Here is a poem that I wrote that I think sums up how you feel quite eloquently.

Life is like a mountain, winding with many paths,
    One stands at the bottom, only to look up and see no end.
    Through the clouds and the fog, the summit is nowhere in sight,
    And we wonder if we can get through it all to reach it.
    That first step is one that will lead us on our path,
    But it is not the only path we'll encounter.
    Wind and snow, rain and sleet will push us to decide,
    Whether or not we should fight this battle and continue on the path we choose.
    Forced to move into new terrain,
    Into fresh snow yet encountered.
    Then there's times when we see another path far off in the distance,
    And we think to ourselves, and wonder if it would be better.
    But, we're used to the path we've chosen,
    We can see our footprints in the snow as they trail off behind us.
    The path we've chosen is so familiar, yet we're still confused,
    A choice must be made in order to continue, otherwise our boots will slip further.
    Then, we'll be stuck, at the mercy of the mountain,
    Left there feeling hopeless with no where to go.
    Left there thinking what could have been,
    Feeling sorry for ourselves and regretting our choice.
    Once the decision is made, we continue on our new path,
    Still leading us to the ultimate goal.
    Once we peek our heads through the clouds, a sudden rush fills our soul,
    Yet we see not what we excepted, but instead a mountain that does not end.
    Again, a choice confronts us,
    Do I stay or do I go.
    Stay, and we risk regretting what could of been,
    Go, and we risk comfort and safety for the challenges that lie ahead.
    The choice is ours, we are the only ones that can decide,
    For those that choose to continue, life progresses even more.
    Those that chose to stay, are left to wonder,
    "What could have been for me?"

6. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

^^ In response to Taleen, just in case it wasn't clear.

Jason

7. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known Member

i jusS wANt tO sPreAD suM P.L.U.R. oR suMfin iOnNO.

8. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

^^ Forget to take your uptakes before dosing again? [​IMG]

Jason

9. PosTMOd

dAsS anoDDer tHinG I wANNA Do THAnkS FUr REMiNDiNG Me...

PLUR fROm PosTMod-HuggLE-SnugGLez-poOKI-E-bEar

10. DarkRave

DarkRave TRIBE Member

Agreed.

Everyone here has been given the GIFT OF LIFE, but what are we all doing with it?

Hmmmm. Not everyone sees it as a gift. For someone like myself sometime ago, I thought life was PUNISHMENT. My views have changed. Its when I REALIZED how precious life is now that now I KNOW that it is a gift.

My point was that it's easy to say: I want happiness. It's more difficult to say: This is what I'll do to make myself happy.
    The "I want to be happy" line is so simple and undefined. The challenge in life is FINDING happiness, not identifying that it's what you want to achieve.

hmmm. But why does it have to be more complicated than that?
    yes it is simple. but you will also notice that some people do not know what they want (just stating facts not picking on anyone or calling anyone simple yo!). So how may i find what i am looking for if i dont know what it is?

more thoughts laters...

love and laughter..

pen

11. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I'd like to remind all of you (since we've been discussing ideologies in class lately) that all our wants and needs for the future are bi-products of growing up in a Western culture fueled by capitalism, patriarchal morals and Western standards of living.

Ask someone from Uguanda or Brussels and they'll tell you something totally different.

I find it strange that people want to find that perfect job or want to have that family when they reach their 30's. It scares me to think that we have deemed these goals (having kids, settling down, making money...) represent wealth, happiness and stability.

If you think about it, what else can you possibly choose from to actually fulfill our human lives? We have no choice but to work hard now so we can "enjoy" ourselves in the future.

Western culture has given us the right of choice but ultimately it has lessened our choices in the end.

12. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Exactly MoFo... I don't want the "Perfect Family/Job" etc.. by the time I'm X...

I just wanna be happy day to day.

pr0nstar [​IMG]

13. deep

deep TRIBE Member

to be a good friend, lover and father.

14. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I want to explore my own creativity and thoughts by expressing them through artistic means.

I want to be always aware of the beauty of music and what it does for the world.

I want to see places I've never seen around the world.

I want to learn what it takes to become more of a human being and not just a slave in the Western hamster wheel.

I want to love and be loved and establish many types of relationships with others.

I want to give something back to this world that I live on, through artistic means if possible.

But for now (in reality), I'm gonna work on my career, meet as many wonderful people as I can, figure out where my art is going and move out to a nice place. And hopefully, through all this, I can accomplish bits and pieces of the stuff above in between lining up at the bank and doing my laundry.

15. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

What's scary is that I actually know people who feel that they are irrelevant to the human race or unfulfilled because they don't have 2 kids or they're not married by 34 or they don't wear Gucci.

I mean, fuck, things are things and yes, they do bring frivolity and happiness but ultimately, there are SO MANY other things that we can accomplish if we keep in mind that Western culture's ideologies of what wealth is is NOT the standard.

16. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I think that's great. It's not like you're saying "I have to have children." It's more like "if I do have children (because having kids is one of our most primal needs), I'm gonna treat them swell."

Heehee, the pitter patter of little Deeps running around the house.

17. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Sunny, some people are raised and believe that if you dont' become a doctor/lawyer/etc...
    And own the biggest house/car/etc they are not happy with their life.

Oh well.!

pr0nstar

18. KiX

KiX TRIBE Member

I just wanna be happy, and i want the people around me to be happy.

=tina=

19. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

THANK YOU!

20. doughboy

doughboy TRIBE Member

HOW, HOW, HOW????

Jason

21. PosTMOd

Quenching my [thirsty unquenchable] curiousity makes me happy.

In effect, it is the quest for happiness that makes me happy. If, on the way, someone learns something from me, then that's good too, since that makes me happy.

I want to be able to ]dose and write[ for a magazine called Quills and Pills...

22. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Why are you stuck on How? Honestly, it can change from day to day! And it can be as simple as a butterfly crossing my path [​IMG]

pr0nstar

23. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

24. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Seriously though:

- sleep more

- start exercising / feel better about myself

- get my shit sorted out

- finish school

- go to college for Radio & T.V Broadcasting

- Hopefully to Ryerson after that

- move into my own place

- be comfortable with where i am

- get more cats

- meet someone who'll sweep me off my feet

yay

i don't care how long the above list takes either, but i'll do it goddamnit.

25. jellibeen

jellibeen TRIBE Member

heh, you just described a large part of my family.

All I want in life is financial security, not rich either. Just at the point where I am not living paycheck to paycheck in a career that I love. Also to be surrounded by good people that are interesting. And to eventually get a dog. Other than that, living day to day is the way I live right now.