1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

What colour goes well with brown.. brown pants to be exact.

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Beings, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Beings

Beings TRIBE Member

I have recently acquired a pair of dark brown pants from a conveniently nearby located consumer establishment, aka the local mall. I like the pants, you know.. they fit, and fit well. Plus they are brown, how many people do you see wearing brown? Not many. Clearly I had a winner on my hands, struck fashion gold so to speak. Come Saturday night, the ladies, questionably oriented men, and plain citizens of the fellow township were sure to appreciate my wondrous pants. Score booty a'plenty? That I don't know, but never hurts to feel good about the way you look.

Fast forward to the actual Saturday evening. I put on the pants, and damn, looking good. Put on a shirt, and the look crumbles. Take of the shirt, looking good. Put on another shirts, no good. The problem was attacked by usual method of trial and error. After dozens of combinations, I was virtually in tears, nothing matched. When it hit me. It is the color difference that was the problem, not the shirt style. Green, red, black, purple, they all don't go well with brown. But wait! Brown goes well with brown thought I, and it did! However, the look resembled a giant turd somewhat or the UPS guy.

So Tribers I ask of your help. Please don't let me end up being that sketchy shirtless dude. My current thought is white, it looked least bad in my trials.
  2. Flashy_McFlash

Flashy_McFlash Well-Known TRIBEr

Brown is a tough colour to match in terms of pants. Best of luck in this difficult time.

Personally, I would Kinger the situation and go shirtless.
  3. justin surdit

justin surdit TRIBE Member

If they are a darker shade you can probably pull off a blue shirt, off white works too............especially if it has a small brown fleck or pattern
  4. grumblegirl

grumblegirl TRIBE Member

Some browns go well with black, some not so much..
    Blue is a good option, most of the time.
    And yeah, white is good too.

Or just go topless, as has already been suggested, since you say they look great without a shirt. :p
  5. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

i've always liked light blue with brown.
  6. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Me too..it looks amazing!!
  7. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

light blue
    green (many shades from bright to olive to pale)
    takes more experience to pull off a black & brown outfit

better yet, what doesn't go w/ brown!??! it's a neutral
  8. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

orange for the charlie brown look

you need new pants
  9. Flashy_McFlash

Or lime green for the Shaggy from Scooby Doo look!
  10. cosmiK-Cat

cosmiK-Cat TRIBE Member

^^yah all those work- what shade of brown are they?

..nice 4th post, btw-!...
  11. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

do you have beer ?
  12. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

13. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

you've got it, deevs.

however, all that said, i've got a brown skirt and a brown pair of pants in my arsenal that NEVER get put on rotation, for the exact same reason that beings has encountered. (plus, assuming he's a dude, many of those colour combos are seriously surfing the borders of fahjey-ville, and he risks sending out signals for the opposite gender than the one he's presumably trying to attract)

most colours when paired with brown just look... weird. (unless you really nail it, imo) plus, brown as a colour in the first place is like a poor man's black. you never end up looking quite as polished as you should feel, and conversely, somehow you always feel a little too over-dressed to soak up brown's inherent casual vibe.

i say this: torch the pants. just light 'em up and let 'em have it. they don't deserve to live.

i will add my pants and skirt to the bonfire as well.

take that, brown!
  14. Flashy_McFlash

I will take these brown pants if you're unloading them.
  15. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

they do have a nice stretch to them!

edit: not that i'm trying to say anything, but, you know.
  16. Flashy_McFlash

Because I will shove those pants so far up your ass they'll...Well they'll still be brown, yeah.
  17. grumblegirl

grumblegirl TRIBE Member

I used to think you and I could be friends, but now...
    I'm so disappointed in you.

My brown pants (with flecks of light blue in them) and my cool brown skirts (yes, I have 3 of them, in differing shades of brown, and different styles and lengths) are my wardrobe STAPLES!
    It's so easy for a girl to wear brown! A crisp white buttoned shirt with a dark brown skirt - mrow! Light blue skimpy tank under black cardi, with brown pants - hawt! Soft pink sweater-set with medium-brown skirt - fabulous!

You don't *deserve* brown, obviously.
    You may now give them to me. :D
  18. Aerius Zension

Aerius Zension TRIBE Member

Yeah, but like more than half of these aren't colours. Next you're going to say salmon, dill, or lilac. :p

Truthfully, I wear brown all the time. Blue jeans + brown polyester 70's shirt, brown pants + black turtleneck or black short sleeve shirt. Actually, that's my whole wardrobe, I need more clothes.
  19. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

The best thing about brown pants is you can shit yourself and nobody will know.
  20. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

i actually salute you. i think maybe brown is just a colour that's more geared to people with a little more creativity and flare when it comes to pairing colours together... i may dress a bit flambouyantly sometimes, but when it comes to playing around with colours and patterns, i really am a gigantic pussy. i stick to things that i *know* work well together and don't usually fray much outside those lines... for real, brown is one of those colour wheels that i've just never conquored. sad, really. :(

maybe i just need to give brown a chance? (or, spend more than three minutes picking out what to wear in the morning?)

21. JESuX

JESuX TRIBE Member

you see, that's just how i feel whenever i end up wearing brown! like i did just shit myself, and everybody can tell.

actually, i do have a pair of brownish greenish taupe-y coloured capri pants (that look like horseback riding crop pants or whatever you call them) and i tend to wear those a fair bit. they go really nicely with the purple shades that are everywhere last season and this season, as well as beige sweaters and stuff.

maybe i'm not such a jerk after all?
  22. Beings

Beings TRIBE Member

The pants DO look great. Doesn't mean I look great however. Well actually I do, just because some cannot appreciate a hard earned jiggly beer gut and some man boobies while a guy is hitting it down on the dancefloor, doesn't quite make them right damnit. I say it adds character.

I think I will put on said pants, wear shades, and go to the mall. Armed with deevah's post, thesaurus, minimum wage sales associates, and a spirit of a young* man driven by hormones, I surely will succeed.
  23. mayab

mayab TRIBE Member

I LOVE brown, in fact it is probably my favourite colour! But then I like neutrals in general. I think brown goes best with white and cream and is a 'warmer' alternative to a black and white outfit.
  24. montanamo

montanamo TRIBE Member

I wear my brown shorts with beige sandals and a tan
  25. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

good luck & god speed