We were solders - Movie Review

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Chris, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Im no critic (only you James only you :) ), so bare with me on this. Saw it last night. The realism, and non-stop action. This film is unlike any Vietnam War film that I have seen so far. I wasn't treated to the racial clash between soldiers, the drugs that the US soldiers got involved with or of the slap of the anti-war movement. Having read the book before viewing this film, you can totally see how the director stayed within the bounds of what the authors laid out: "an epic struggle of young, scared men fighting to live to see another day. A struggle that had their fullest attention from the moment their boots hit the tall grass and heat of the Ia Drang Valley." Its a movie of close quarter combat, up close and personal, amazingly horrifying.

James what did you think?

2. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

i went and saw it last week... the first half hour or 40 min was pretty fluffy.. a lot of slow character building if u ask me.. but man did they make up for it.. i can't wait to see it again..i'm a huge war movie buff and this was a good war flick.

I like the reporter guy... the one who was the sniper in saving private ryan...

Dave

3. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Yeah I liked his character too, but the part with him in slow moe taking the 'real' photos was kinda corny. Even though. Maybe because those photos are in fact real. Just didnt seem right.

I like the idea of the movie being non stop, like no change overs during the actual battle.

4. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

was it tin-lead or lead free? were there any flux shots?

5. cosmic

cosmic TRIBE Member

the only thing that kept me from laughing during the sappy parts was the fact that its a true story...

it was just way too sappy.....like they were trying so hard( TOO HARD) to be symbolic, etc.

it definately wasnt worth paying full price for. ($27 for 2 people)

thats jus my opinion though.

i would have rather seen black hawk down again.

6. da MiGHTy pLUm!

da MiGHTy pLUm! TRIBE Member

I haven't seen the movie
    I'm just posting here cuz I'm bored at work...

that is all. :p

-ron!

7. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

Is it Barry Pepper?

He's a local ontario boy. Forget what town though.

;) <--------- Taking aim.........fire
    Karim

8. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i prefer my movies sans mel gibson and bruce willis

maybe the next war movie should star russel crowe too

wouldn't that be grand.