1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

warehouse jamboree!

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by d.code, Jan 19, 2002.

1. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

(DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB! UNH!)

First of all- if you knew about this party- then this story will make sense.

Its really good to know there was a rough total of at LEAST 300 people out last night supporting events that are not the norm- but something ment to engage the people. Needless to say the party didnt go down- but everyone met and had a pretty good time (if you didnt get ticketed or if you were one of the unfortuneates that ran into the police blockade that I heard had a paddy wagon in it!) and was indeed engaged with the people.

as a note: I didnt organize this party (wich was done so very poorly) but I was one of the 'teamcomanders' so to speak.

Id love to hear the stories from the people that did show though because everything was random.

I was there when the cops showed up and had to make a VERY sneaky get away and hide some stuff. Im glad I can trust my primal hunter insticts to that extenet The cops left after some carefully constructed bullshit.

I got inside- was setting everything up after vainly trying to get into contact with everyone who had anything to do with this. Too all the people that helped me set up the sound- decks- generator and everything else- I thank you. You give me faith that people want to have a good time regardless.

When the generator fucked up- the party ended. The way I see it- it would have happened for the 100-150 or so people scattered inside if the generator didnt fuck up not once- but twice. It broke- we fixed it but the solution wasnt good enough so it broke again. We got it going good the last time- but while lifting it into the elevator half stuck between floors- the gas leaked a bit and the choke shut the machine down for good.

When everyone left- that is when I belive the cops showed up around because of the massive amounts of people wandering in the area (Im not kidding when I say 300 or so people).

We had to stay inside with the equipment wich is now safe- and had to make a darring escape jumping out the 3rd story window to a roof and then down again from there.

Injuries were had- and Ive now been scarred offically from raving for the 3rd time

I had a fucking awsome time even though I didnt spin (and I was hoping alot of you people would hear me! Alot of you havent heard proper wicked funky -groovey tribal techno).

Secondly- Im NOT naming names- but please! There was an unusal amount of heat along side the bad orginization. And it according to what I heard from people who DID encounter police- some of it may have been due to a supposed someones big fucking mouth. I was told by at least 9 people that they heard someone just going on and on about it- and hyping it like it was the last saturday ever in existance.

What ever though- I guess I cant be that angry- just be fucking carefull. Some of this is still illegal.

Cheers EVERYONE
    Tyler

2. starr

starr TRIBE Member

which one there were two warehouse parties last night

ell i guess i'll just wait to hear from different friends that went to both

3. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

Two eh? This one was near Dundas and Brock.

Cheers
    Tyler

4. HappyJR

HappyJR TRIBE Member

Not to name names either, but, it might have been the same one.

5. wunderfly

wunderfly TRIBE Member

<<cheers>> [​IMG]

I'm so jealous!! lol

and a tribe classic for sure!

pet

6. Psyklone

Psyklone TRIBE Promoter

HappyJR,

Sorry I couldn't be there, school and all, bla bla bla, call me today if you can.

Psyklone

7. graver

graver TRIBE Member

[(--UN--)]0ff1x4l d3-Br13f1ng

Monday, Werk, email - F5 emailed within an hour of the word of mouth reaching me. There is a party, it's got a map point, sounds somewhat dodgy, and exactly what we need this month with lack of other parties. F5 is new, but holds the same precepts as we do, perhaps more militantly, but an ally is found. Contact is made for help with the setup, as most collectives require such inputs. F5 contacts back, with the setup meeting place and a vague plan.

Throughout the week, werk, phone/email - Contact is maintained and plans gather both steam and become more detailed. The participation of certain other, influential members of the underground scene was guaranteed, and confidence grows.

20:20, Friday, Dealer's haus, phone - F5 called. It is on, deco needed, aid required, good-time-to-be had, property comprimised and now 0wn3d, and we are to meet at Coffee Time at 9:15 or so.

9:15, Coffe Time, phone - sM3rk (and crew) is on his way, our deco is inaccessible but we are able to help. F5 will be detained picking up 6 cases of water. Estimated time of Entry - 10:30.

9:40, home - Pick up three, one-mile range walkee-talkee's for the spotters during load in. Some deco recovered from home. We are now Hi-Fi and covert. Coffe Timeis filling up when we leave. Girl decides to stay home until we are successful, due to the temperature and a sprained ankle.

10:25, Coffee Time - sM3rk hits the map point, while we break off into two groups to infiltrate.

11:00, Old Disused Recycling Plant - Infiltration is successful, and I go up to the bridge to act as go-between. This is the last contact I have with the primes until much later.

11:00-12:20, College Street - Many groups are shown the way down while the group at the map point grows larger and larger. Many friends and familiar faces are evident, and word has spread well. If you are here, even to see the throng on the corner, consider yourself one of Toronto's premier underground commando's. You made it further than most and are privy to secret information. Many start to return with rumours that the cops are there, but that F5 has told them that there is an independent movie shoot happening. Other rumours state that they are surrounded, but that the police have yet to pinpoint the exact location, and the primes, now at 50 or more, are huddled in the building, setting up quietly, and that no more should enter. Cruiser and unmarked presence is heavy, but manageable. We assume that the mission hasn't been compromised. More are shown the way.

12:20, map point - Cell phones have long ago died due to constant use in trying to get intel from behind the lines. sM3rk and I agree that we will infiltrate to scout the situation before declaring war or retreat, and the rest go to a haus around the corner to wait in warmth. We declare very loudly that if anything, we're off to get our tickets, if nothing else, to mark the occassion. We run to the plant. Many are inside, and police headlights swarm the area, but it appears as though they have yet to discover the actual point of attack. Those inside say that they are 20 minutes from generator start and music explosion. We decide that the only way to salvage the operation is to have EVERY agent head to the zone, and begin immediately upon their arrival. sM3rk goes to gather the 100+ troops awaiting deployment, and we wait by the rails.

12::50, CN Rails - Bright lights coupled with silence down the tracks alert us to trouble, and we begin to walk away from the infiltration point and fence, as well as the hidden wire-cutters, towards the light to divert heat. GO police greet us and begin a 15 minute interrogation. We are walking around. We are sober. We are friends. We give no intel. PLUR. GO police suddenly point down-track to the bridge, and one says "there's that GRAFFITI GANG!". We are instucted to leave the lands immediately, as we are trespassing, and that we are warned. Three take this fall, albeit minor. The entry point is never discovered. By the time the car reaches the bridge, agents have safely hidden, and although we see the car move on, more agents stream into the rail line.

1:30, Plant - the generator starts, and a good number have successfully reached point zero, with more on their way. We are ready to begin, but whilst placing the generator in an elevator shaft, it stalls. Efforts to restore power are foiled by a broken and trapped pull-cord. Surgery with keys, flashlights, and determination allow a second attempt at starting the weapon of mass-fun. The cord rips a second time. Rumours in the building during this awkward time indicate police presence in the building, but are unfounded. The crowd begins to dissipate as some leave to get tools to attempt restoration yet again.

1:50, Plant - F5 has been missing for more than an hour, and sM3rk never came back. The group has dwindled to 50 or so, and questions about gear-out are being raised, as well as rumours of police outside. We take our leave, with a smile at the effort to almost complete the mission, and having failed only due to malfunctioning equipment, and not a lack of support or effort. The leadership void was filled by various members to continue to this point, and although everyone seems disappointed, there is a feeling of community.

2:00, Gage St - Standing on the street, right beside the infiltrated building still containing organizers, DJ's, gear, a broken generator and stalwart agents. A line of Police round the corner, including the GO police. We stand, attempting to divert attention from those inside, and the precious gear. ID's are taken, names and descriptions recorded, records checked, and the GO officer says to another "It's a slow night, we never found it. We saw these two on the rail before and will write them up for TPA anyway". A ticket that will be fought and easily thrown out of court was written for two agents, myself included, for an infraction more than an hour before the ticket that was originally dismissed with a warning. WRONG and STOOPID.

3:00, Coffee Time - Many weary soldiers have come here to discuss the night, and the near victory that eluded us. I returned home to my worrying girl, who hadn't had contact with me since much earlier and thought I was in jail since I hadn't called to say the mission was successful.

We'll do it again, for sure, and the underground powers that be showed that such a night is possible, and our failings included the fact that there was only one point-of-leadership, whereas more of us should have been willing to take the fall. The venue could have been better infiltrated, as well, so as to draw less heat. I was energized and excited by this attempt, and resolve to be much more active in future endeavours, for this is what we need, and we know that we're strong enough to do it...

Psy-Clone
    aka Clay

8. miguel

miguel TRIBE Member

there are warehouse jams every weekend now almost.

9. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

definatly an adventure... i think the only big avoidable mistake was trying to move the generator 3 seconds after it was turned on. it should have just been left around the corner - i doubt there was a need to cram it in the shaft.

well... at least notes were taken down for NEXT TIME... [​IMG]

and i hope no one has to pay for that cord... fucking cord!!

<= was inside from 11:45 - 2:30, freezing in the cold, enjoying the complete darkness and occasional silence, stimulated by the tricks the eyes play...

10. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad I had my sneakers on because there was a lot of sneaking going on. Too bad the entrance everyone used was across from a residential street. Creepy, dangerous venue and bitch-ass cold but all in all, 'tis good fun.

I glad some people try and throw these events no matter how brutal the odds and the amount of risk involved. Good job, guys!

Vince

11. Variant

Variant TRIBE Member

true dat. fuck Nokia.

the mad dash from the cop car booting along the railway made my evening. Escaping da pigs should be an event in itself.

thanks to clay, sm3rk, scott, engine and the rest of the commandos. the efforts are appreciated! the showing was strong.. R351574NC3 is building.

12. HappyJR

HappyJR TRIBE Member

Really?

I know of outdoor illigal parties during the summer, quite a few actually, but I didn't know there were any other illigal warehouse parties in TO for a while now...

13. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

There are alot of warehouse parties.. thing is most of them arnt comepletely illegal such as this one.

Cheers
    -engine

14. Nub!

Nub! TRIBE Member

It was fun.

I don't think I could have spent my friday night in a more exciting way.

-=Nub=- <== Had fun

15. ComplexCrown

ComplexCrown TRIBE Member

Ohhhh. How excellent to hear about this...
    I had quite an adventure even though I did not make it inside.
    My group could not make it through the train tracks or even go around the front of the warehouse. Too much cops circling around and we didn't want the cover blown for the people already inside.
    I think that the effort was really there and that was what made it soooo much fun. I mean everyone really really just wanted to party and have fun. Now that is true 'vibe'.
    Anyways, I think all of us involved did look pretty suspicious scattered around the area. From the Brock meeting point there were a lot of people just standing around. From there on you could see alot of people going towards the coffeetime. So I think that you would be able to figure out where all the people were going quite easily. I mean, you can't really help it...ravers always look suspicious. Oh well, it was adventerous...
    I have my night documented on camera and it is really hilarious. I could have gotten in shit if the cops did get my video because it would have been confiscated, but everything was illegal anyways. I just want to say that the efforts and spirits were great no matter the turnout.
    Did anyone else make the comparison to the lame movie 'groove'? I mean the breaking in, setting up, cops...etc. Bleh, we didn't get to party though. It would have been soooo much fun. Oh well theres always anticipation of the next time.

16. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

I'm in next time...

@m.

17. ViShiS*

ViShiS* TRIBE Member

I would have went for sure, but I didn't find out about this until it was already too late. At least now I have a source to find out about the next one. I can't wait, a party like this is such a refreshing idea.

Perdue

18. HappyJR

HappyJR TRIBE Member

Well, sources are all well and good, but when it really comes down to it, events like these can only be of a certain size, and theres nothing anyone can do about that.

But... If you really want to be a part of all this stuff, why not throw your own?

What I'm hoping for here is an underground revival, not just the last pathetic caughs of a dead scene...

19. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

maybe next time people can practise their stealth and silence. to some people finding the meeting point and following instructions is a real hassle/inconvenience. for others, it is the start of an adventure... but if enough people are driving around in their cars asking where the party is, the only adventure anyone is gonna have will be running from the po-man.

20. ViShiS*

ViShiS* TRIBE Member

I totally agree. I am putting some serious thought into throwing something together of my own. A revival is in the works.....

Perdue

21. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

sounds like a lot of fun.....i don't have any "connection" for anything like this, how would someone like me find out about these parties?

22. d.code

d.code TRIBE Member

through e-mail [​IMG]

Vishis... you got an email adress?

23. ViShiS*

ViShiS* TRIBE Member

I can be reached at jperdue9@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Perdue