Travel back in time...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mingster, Jan 15, 2002.

1. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Inspired by the dream thread.

If you could travel back in time, to any place on earth, at any time, where would you go? And When?

I would want to see Toronto in it's early days, circa 1900.

I'd also like to see Paris, in 1920.

And Havana, in 1850. When people lived in castles.

Ming.

2. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Right now?
    WWII on the Steppe
    as an observer.

-OTIS

3. matty

matty TRIBE Member

I'd like to chill with Cleopatra.

4. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

september 10th...to warn the US that some sneeky terrorist bastards are gonna cause shit....

z0-

5. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Good one! How unselfish of you...

6. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

Thats easy I would go to two places. Back to Mexico and South America to live with the ancient Mayans. Preferably I would go to live in Macchu Pichu (the city in the mountains). Or I would go back and live in medieval times.

jeremy -something I would have to see to believe- jive

7. deep

deep TRIBE Member

1] witness the creation of the universe

2] hang with marcus aurelius

3] flip the switch and move a couple centuries from now into the future

8. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

People were smelly in midieval times. I'd only go if I could bring some deodorant, enough for everyone around me.

I would definitely like to check out the old South & Central American tribes and the Egyptians around the time that the pyramids were built.

It would be pretty sweet to see some dinosaurs too.

Pete

9. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

No future travelling! You're breaking the rules! (even though, scientifically, if time travel were possible, we would only be able to go ahead in time instead of backwards)

Pete

10. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac Well-Known Member

You would be Morlock bait, dude.

[​IMG]

I'm hard pressed to pick a time in the past I would like to be in. Truely, I think we live in the best of times.

11. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I would never want to change history.
    What if one of the people that was killed in the attacks is actually a murderer and ended up a few months down the road killing your family, you don't know how sparing one life would alter time, let alone 2000.

-OTIS

12. Guest

Guest Guest

-1500's medival Japan.
    -Any time in ancient China.
    -Hanging out with Galileo.

13. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

GO wayyyyy back and hang out with Plato, Socrates. See the height of Rome and it's magnificence.

Then I'd do the research, and go back further to see if there really was an Atlantis...that'd be to sweet.

Hangin out with Twain, F.Scott Fitzgerald, Dickens, Shakespeare...the list is endless.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I would also like to travel back to 2 Fridays ago so I can buy that nice looking backpack I saw in Banff.

15. MBoy

MBoy TRIBE Member

I'd go have a session with Bob Marley

16. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

I'd travel back and meet Leonardo da Vinci!!!

I'd explain to him how an airfoil works. And help him build a modern glider. I figure if nothing else it would have been cool for man to understand heavier than air flight earlier.

That and man you gotta think he would have been an interesting cat.

17. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

two great suggestions.. i would also want to do the exact same thing.
    along with sessioning with Bob, I would want to chat with him for the day and listen to his wisdom.

i'd go back to the time that this dood Jesus lived in, and knowing what I know now, I could reveal all the secrets of his 'magic' tricks.. *cough* i mean miracles.

18. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

I'd head back to the 1980's to the start of the rave scene in england. Then I'd hop a plane to the U.S.A and buy stocks in Microsoft and Apple.

Then i could do whatever the hell i wanted to.

[​IMG]

@m.

19. ~soulheaven~

~soulheaven~ TRIBE Member

haha!

This thread is what I think of every single day. As a future Archaeologist, my top visitations in history would be as follows:

1.) To visit the Roman Principate during the reign of Trajan (who was the greatest emperor in all facilities)

2.) To visit Greece just before the Pelopennesian War (so I could see Athens at her prime, where Hellenistic culture flourished in a golden age). At that time existed all at once: Socrates, Alcibiades, and Pericles (the elder). Imagine meeting so many great men?

3.) I agree with Deep. To meet the man who wrote meditations on being the philosopher-king that he simply titled: 'To Myself'......to hang out and speak with the man of the 'inner citadel' would be amazing! also, his baths (the Baths of Caracalla...his nickname) were quite majestic, and I would love to partake of their waters.

4.) To Ancient Greece cica 467 B.C. to sit in on the first productions of 'Seven Against Thebes' and 'Prometheus Bound' by Aeschylus in Ancient Greece.

5.) To meet and converse with Epicurus and talk at length with him and his students about pleasure and hedonistic ethics.

6.) To travel back to the Roman Pricipate under Nero. Not only would I want to see the revelling and banquets and the famed 'Golden House', but to find out once and for all what kind of man he really was. Academics and scholars now believe he was quite a good ruler. Apparently he neither ordered the death of Christians, nor did he burn Rome. In fact he was in the streets helping to fight the fire at great personal risk....

There are sooo many more, including Charlemagne and visiting the mighty French citadel of 'Carcasoone' in it's heyday, but there are too many for this history enthusiast to list here....

20. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i'd like to chill with jesus.

21. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

As a left winger Pete, I don't think you'd want to go back and visit Egypt while the pyramids were being built.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

I would also want to go back in time and hang around Shakespear and suggest that he should use the word "poo-pipe" in one of his plays.

23. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

^^^ what are you talking about? aliens built the pyramids.

24. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

1) Definetly want to go back to ancient Greece and chill with Socrates
    2) Being one of Piccaso's mistress's would have been interestd
    3) To be on the boa when Columbus sailed
    4) Ireland in the 1600's. I'm in love with celtic mythology, the time period, the culture
    5) Rome actually under Augustus (I'd say Nero because like Greg pointed out that would be interesting, but after reading a book on the shit that guy did...I wouldnt even want to risk living through it)
    6) South Africa pre-colonial rule
    7) Greece during the height of it's cultural emprie
    8) Italy during the Renaissance
    9) 2000 some odd year ago to be meet Jesus of Nazareth
    so many times

~allie~

25. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

pyramid theory with some meat to it: here