1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Toshiba laptop problems...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by daddyiwantchocolate, Mar 28, 2002.

1. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

Does anyone have a Toshiba Satellite 4100xDVD?

To make a long story short(er), I'm having problems with the DVD player.

If I insert a dvd, it generates an error message, and seems that the driver has been uninstalled somehow.

Does anyone know how I can re-install the driver?

2. deep

deep TRIBE Member

pour water on it, failing that, throw rocks at it

3. daddyiwantchocolate

I think that's what caused this whole problem.

4. deep

deep TRIBE Member

what operating system do you run?

5. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I'm guessing you use windows 98

Download the driver here

Double click on this file to unzip its contents

The readme file has the installation instructions

6. daddyiwantchocolate

Actually it's 2000.

Do I just download and install, or will I have to do some other fandangled shit to make it work?

7. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

8. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I'm not sure if that driver will work with windows 2000. hold up

9. daddyiwantchocolate

deep - someone just sent me this page - but is the display driver what I'm actually looking for, or is it the actual dvd playing portion that I'm looking for?

http://www.toshiba.ca/support/Downloads/

DAMN THIS is soo irritating.

10. deep

deep TRIBE Member

Val -

Looks like the driver for the Trident 9525 DVD player on your laptop is on your windows 2000 CD - to update / reinstall it go to start -> settings -> control panel -> system

click the hardware tab

click device manager

it may be listed there under display adapters, or it may be listed under unknown devices (if it's uninstalled itself as you say)

right click on it whereever it is and go to properties

click on the driver tab and click update driver

when the wizard comes up check mark windows update and your cd-rom drive , put the windows 2000 cd in there

Here's mine from there

[​IMG]

11. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I was at the US site and not the canadian site - for some reason the us site didn't have the win2k drivers. Anyways, here they are :

ftp://ftp.toshiba.ca/models/s2610/s261b2dp.exe

Unzip this file by double clicking on it, and then following the instructions I listed above, but instead of specifying windows update or your windows 2000 CD , specify location instead and browse to the directory where you unzip these files

12. pauly j

pauly j TRIBE Member

this semester at school i came home just shitfaced from a night out and proceeded to take a piss on my roomate's laptop while he sat in bed watching.....we both had a good laugh about it, until the next day when i had to buy him a new one.

oh wait, you're looking for ways to fix your laptop, not fuck it up.....sorry.

pauly j.

13. daddyiwantchocolate

Thanks so much deep!

I'll try it this weekend (I just got HSE sympatico will be activated on Friday)....

I'll keep you posted with my blundering progress.

14. daddyiwantchocolate

Taking notes: piss + laptop = very bad.

Noted.

15. deep

deep TRIBE Member

can't wait

16. deep

deep TRIBE Member

17. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

i have a toshiba satelite also....upgraded from win98 to win2k, never been the same...my dvd-rom plays, but all choppy....can't fix it, gave up!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Fuckin windows.

[​IMG]

19. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

hence my next purchase:

[​IMG]

20. gasper

gasper TRIBE Member

d'oh!

[​IMG]

21. daddyiwantchocolate

deep. help.

The display driver download didn't do anything - other than give me a different message when I inserted my dvd "your dvd decoder is not found".

How can I fix this mother fucking cock loving whorebag of a laptop?

If I have a friend with the identical laptop, can I somehow pull the decoder off them? (they just installed 2000, so this is assuming the dvd function still works for them)

I'm usually not this incompetant, but I've now tried everything that has been recommended to me...

AT LEAST YOU GET A PICTURE DAMMIT! :D

This is sooooo frustrating.

*starts gathering large rocks*

22. deep

deep TRIBE Member

I don't think you're incompetant. Unfortunately you've faced the woe that is having hardware for which there are not up to date drivers.

Have you tried using different playback software for DVD's? Software DVD players get around the whole problem of needing hardware decoders by decoding the DVD themselves. PowerDVD XP is the best program for the job, if you've got your high speed connection set up I can get it to you. Might be worth giving a shot if the playback attempts at the moment aren't working.

23. daddyiwantchocolate

THANKS!

sending pm with my e-mail account (which should be active as soon as Sympatislut sends me the fucking new modem).

Er, if we can do it over e-mail. Whateva.

:)

24. deep

deep TRIBE Member

File size may be a little bit to send via email. I'll see if I can get it to you via the web somehow.

25. daddyiwantchocolate

Perfect.

Your number of posts is my employee number at work.

I'm brain dead. Must.....go.....home....