1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

>> TONIGHT @ the ROM

Discussion in 'Techno Room' started by tommysmalls, Mar 1, 2002.

1. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

..STURM & BANG..

Techno music--the pounding beat of underground dance clubs--shares many similarities with contemporary classical music. Explore noisy artistic movements, both popular and academic, and their quieter minimalist descendants in painting, sculpture, music and literature, from Dada and Futurism to raves and ecstasy. Russell Smith is a novelist and journalist with an interest in underground youth culture. He writes the weekly "Virtual Culture" column in the Globe and Mail.

Members $20 / general public $25

Tonight - 7:00 to 9:00 PM

cheers,
    tommysmalls.com

2. tekno princess

tekno princess TRIBE Member

...sounds interesting

…but 25 bucks?!? :eek:

maybe I would pay that to see my favourite dj…but I don’t know about forking over that kind of cash for a lecture at the ROM (even if it is being given by a G&M columnist) ;)

3. ViShiS*

ViShiS* TRIBE Member

I really wanted to go, but I couldn't make it.

Was it worth the $25?

perdue

4. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

indeed it was - in addition to the very informative and enlightening 90 minute lecture, we also received a complementary alcohol beverage and a wide selection of finger foods like smoked salmon, curryed lamb and a fantastic assortment of deserts.

he played autechre, spastik, and some of live at the liquid room for the old fogeys in the house, and some of them were groovin to it.

there was a lot of history regarding the roots of techno (disco, warehouse days, kraftwerk) etc... and lots of contextualizing through comparisons to renegade art movements like futurism, dataism, surrealism, etc.

i'd say well worth my $25.

5. tekno princess

tekno princess TRIBE Member

sounds like it was very informative and educational.... if only i wasn't so broke :(

6. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

SO TRUE! ;)

It was really funny to watch the older people (50+) bopping their heads to the "music" *grin*

adios
    Laura