1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

today every italian canadian mourns..............

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by TraNceAhoLic, Mar 19, 2002.

1. TraNceAhoLic

TraNceAhoLic TRIBE Member

A dear friend and leader of our community has passed away

Johnny Lombardi, will forever remain in every italo-canadians heart

So many memories exist regarding his extroadinary life

the christie ptt riots, where we stood alongside our jewish neigbours protesting the cruel practises of the orangemen

refusing to change his name, like so many others did, in order to show his heritage

forming CHIN radio and tv, where shows from every major language are featured

the annual chin picnincs

and most importantly protesting alongside every one of us when we demanded compensation and a formal appology for the internment of 500 italian candain men during WW11

Sadly, the Japanes have recieved this and we have yet not

something Iam sure a new leader of our community will achieve for Lombardi's Honor

This is a time when every day, our community looses valuable members from the old world, and with current immigration patterns the italian canadian culture looks threatened

Johnny, however, fought against this and made me and every other canadian born italo take pride in the language, culture, and art

world cup is not enough, learn the language, learn the history, teach our children

we have had a pivitol role in forming current Toronto and while history shines her smile on us, we must continue to pave our good fortune in the future

Johnny would want that

REAST IN PEACE

2. DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis TRIBE Member

ginos are evil

3. TraNceAhoLic

how you can make such a rascist and uncalled for comment disgust me

can I call you a nigger, a paki, a jew,

this isnt about ginos, this is about an italian canadian and genral broadcast
    legend

I think I and every person with a functioning brain deserves an apology for your stupid and ignorant comments

4. squirrel

squirrel TRIBE Member

i agree that was pretty uncalled for.

5. madnezz

madnezz TRIBE Member

wow, that was an incredibly dumb thing to say, not to mention completely inconsiderate, darknemesis.

adios
    Laura

6. DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis TRIBE Member

sorry but ginos are evil, they think they are all that and try to rule everything, sorry but an apology is not going to happn. and as for my comment it was not racist at all. those words you mentioned above on the other hand are.

7. TraNceAhoLic

come to college and grace farmer boy

what your ancaster mind doesnt realize is that this is about italians, not ginos

yes ginos are evil, but italians are not

gino doesnt = italian

thats like saying I hate thugs, in a thread dealing with an african-canadian leader

thug=black?

get a life and some knowledge

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  8. DarkNemesis

DarkNemesis TRIBE Member

there are no farms here asshole, an for the record ive already graduated from college.

9. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

I remember going to CHIN picnics among other Italian picnics during summers, my family coming from Guelph to visit and spend days with friends and relatives from Toronto. It's hard to believe that someone as prominent in the community as Lombardi has passed on. I'd imagine the funeral procession is going to be huge since he's touched so many people.

BTW ... Tranceaholic ... leave DarkNemsis be. He's just trolling away and not worth your trouble.

-- Jay aka Fut

10. TraNceAhoLic

well, this thread is about a great man, and I refuse to continue replying to

your insults, as it srays from the topic

11. TraNceAhoLic

Jay those picnics were infamous

as kids we all hated being dragged their, but then as soon as we entered the gates remembered why we loved them, probably b/c the pasta, sausage and balloons

as teens we went to pick up

and see nek

laura non c'e lol

good times

12. futronic

futronic TRIBE Member

Don't forget about the games for the kids and the medals you'd get for winning. lol. Big pots of pasta e fagioli, you know the drill.

Oh yeah, you can't forget game after game of bocce.

-- Jay aka Fut

13. Evil Dynovac

Evil Dynovac TRIBE Member

Johnny Lombardi, Mel Lastman, and Ed Mirvish are the triumirate of old school local legends who helped build much of this city.

Now that one is gone I wonder how long it will take for the others.

We probably won't see dynamic, self-made moguls like that again in our lifetime.

RIP JL

14. TraNceAhoLic

bocce

bocce

*tear*

just that word makes me miss my nonno :(

next tbk picnic ill bring bocce balls!!!!!!

15. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

it's just not italian canadians, but canadians in general. he promoted multi-culturalism in everything he did.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

16. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

sad day indeed for all torontonians.

my niece and nephew are half italian (my sister married a sicilian-canadian) so i've attended my share of chin picnics. always a blast.

r.i.p. paesano.

17. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

RIP Johnny Lombardi
    - canada may never again see your equal

this doesn't deserve a full font size...but shouldn't be ignored.
    let me guess?
    major: how to be a jerk
    minor: sodomizing farm animals

would you make a comment about how bad innercity gangs are in a thread about martin luther king jr? well, from the looks of it you would. moron.

18. AdRiaN

AdRiaN TRIBE Member

R.I.P.

Having grown up in northern Ontario, as well as Waterloo, watching Johnny Lombardi every Sunday afternoon was one of my only connections to the Italo-Canadian community at large. His successes and contributions to this country mirror the experience of so many Italian immigrants over the past century.

Fortunately, Johnny Lombardi's legacy will be carried on by his children, grandchildren, the CHIN station, and everyone else who has been inspired by his vision. You cannot help but admire a man who can make us all proud, right up until the very end of his life.

19. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

NO WAY.

Wow..

he had a good life.. and left quite a legacy behind.

R.I.P. Johnny.

And to the fool who made the Gino comment..
    racism against Italians is no different than racism against other ethinc groups.

Closed mindedness is a disease perpetuated by fear and insecurity.

20. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

i hope chin's pro-multicultural stance will still hold

mr lombardi wasn't only important to italians

100.7 is the only radio station in the toronto region that i know of with a macedonian radio show .. and serbian, croatian, greek, etc

21. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

darknem that was pretty lame there *glare*

dont mind him everyone, he's just upset that he didnt get the chance to be humped by a gino this past weekend
    or by me for that matter :p

tranceaholic is right though, club ginos =/= italians

as for the passing away of lombardi, it is a shame. he gets my mad respect for chin, one of the only stations that gives a voice to canada's rich multiculturalism

p[l]a+0 <--loves the bhangra tunes :)

22. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

what a fucking idiot! ginos are evil! grow the fuck up and snap out of this dream world you live in! people are people!

i hate stereotypes. god damn cocksucker!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2002
  23. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

All white people are evil. It's not a stereotype, it's true. Krishna told me in a dream while spanking me with his big blue hand.

BBB.

The stereotype is that we smell like hotdogs. A nice debriziner sausage, maybe, but not hotdogs.

24. Che

Che TRIBE Member

Everyone is entitled to their own views, no matter how stupid or ignorant they may be, but the thing that really pisses me off about what DarkNemesis said was the fact that he said the comment in this thread. Do you not have any respect for people who may be mourning this loss? I mean, after Tranceaholics nice words you ruin it with that ignorant comment. Keep it to yourself next time.

Johnny was a great man. He's done so much for Toronto, brought so many cultures together. He's really the icon of what Toronto is all about. Some of us could learn a thing or two about that.

25. Vidman

Vidman TRIBE Member

He was the old guy who hosted that Sunday show on CHIN right? A bunch of old Italian guys sitting around with some young hot chicks at a mall or something?