They wanna bring the tug-of-war into the Olympics

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mr_Furious, Feb 25, 2002.

1. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

my childhood friend/neighbour's family was chrisitan and my mother forced us to go to church/sunday school etc so they wouldn't think we were evil...worst times ever. i used to pass the time by drawing afros on jesus in my activity book. i was once had to sit in the corner for saying 'take this job and shove it' (which was a cool expression back in the 80s no doubt) to our sunday school teacher :)

if only i hadn't strayed from the flock...sigh

2. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

ok fair enough deep - but they don't have football in the olympics either
    and red rover would be betta' :)

3. quantumdj

quantumdj TRIBE Member

How about changing the skeleton so that the track is 50% steeper, and two competitors go down at the same time, fighting their way down the track, full contact.

4. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

5. deep

deep TRIBE Member

truth be told when my mom was completing her phd I was put into all the camps there were in the summer...one of them was unknowingly a christian camp...if it weren't for the ice cream sandwiches I might have noticed my brownness / hinduness amongst the flock, as I'm sure they did

6. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

:D - hahaha you are one funny funny kid!!

7. Guest

Guest Guest

The steeplechase would be so much more exciting if they would put gators or piranas in the water pools.

8. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

It takes ALOT of strength to get it going. Alot of the competitors are former college footballers. The biggest challenge is to keep it from hitting the sides. If you've ever seen a bobsleigh hit the side of the track, you now that it basically ends the race for the team. Try going on a big waterslide and keeping your body in the middle of the slide the whole time. I doubt you could could. Now try doing it at 130 km/h. When you weigh 1400 pounds. All I'm saying is that it's not as simple as it looks.

Plus I think it's wicked to watch - I bet if Canada was good at it you'd like it Will ;)

9. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

Will, horseback riding takes years of training..it's hardcore dedication..not only are you training yourself, you are training your horse. i rode dressage for 14 years, and 6 of those years were used soley for training and practicing before i even started competing competively. and since noone knows what dressage is:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    its basically ballet on horses.

now..defending curling...it takes such precision, skill, patience..if you watched the gold medal game between Canada and Norway..you would realize that. Canada lost by literally 1/2 and inch.

and trampoline. i dont do that..but i have had enough drunken encounters to have respect for people who can actually master that thing. :)

10. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

do you all think that just because an event takes athletic ability, skill or practice, that it should be included in the olympics??? it takes practice and skill to be able to water-ski and sky-dive but those aren't olympic events. those are pass-times, not sports. i agree that sometimes it's a blurry distinction but some olympic events are just ridiculous.

i guess i have problems with olympic events that:

1. are not accessible to 99.9% of the world's population (i.e. horseback riding / show jumping, bob-sledding, etc.) you might as well add polo and fox-hunting as olympic events. (and before anyone says that hockey is also an expensive sport, one can play the basic game of hockey with very minimal equipment - i.e. skates and a stick.)

2. are not sports by any stretch of the imagination (i.e. ballroom dancing, speed walking)

3. are downright silly (i.e. ski-gymnastics) or just don't make any sense (i.e. biathalon - who the hell thought to combine cross-country skiing with sharp-shooting???)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2002
  11. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Or at least have the competitors be chased by steeples.

Cheers ... Ian :)

12. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

I'd imagine Biathlon came from countries where hunting food in winter was common.

While alot of these sports may not be popular in North America, it does not mean that no one watches them. For example, Cross Country Skiing and Biathlon are quite popular in Europe.

Also hockey is totally not accesible to 99.9% of the world's population. Nor are 99.9% of the sports in the Winter Olympics. Most countries in the world do not experience winter the way that we do. Maybe we should get rid of Winter Olympics altogether because alot of countries don't participate? ;)

13. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

[devils advocate] The Olympics are not called the Olympic sports. They are called the Olympic Games. Games : A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules. The games involved then do not have to be physical, nor does it rule out less orthodox and recognized games. [/devil's advocate]

14. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

yes, the ever elusive and whiley horse can only be found in fenced in pastures in north america. Will! Horseback riding is prominant in Europe moreso than anywhere else..how is it not accesbile to 99.9% of the population? and regardless of whether you have a stick and skates..you would need a hell of a lot more than that to play Olympic hockey...that argument makes no sense. if you are refering to money-a couple of women on the Olympic Women's Hockey Team paid $20,000 out of their own pockets to be able to play in the olympics. and thats right here in Canada.

15. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

equestrian sports like showjumping are hardly accessible to the masses. it's almost as exclusive as polo. if the olympics are about uniting the world, it just seems odd to include sports that are by-and-large still only available to the upper class. (the same used to be true of tennis and golf but those barriers have been broken in the last couple of decades.)

you're not getting my point.

hockey is played at a variety of levels. it's played by rich people and poor people. it's played all over north america, all over europe and throughout much of asia. sure, not everyone can afford the best equipment but all you REALLY need to play the game is a pair of skates and a stick. the olympics allow you to see how this sport is played at the highest level, but the sport itself belongs to a much greater cross-section of people.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2002
  16. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

then why doesnt horseback riding show how to compete at a high level? you might be right, i may be missing your point. but i dont see the difference. the elitism that goes with horseback riding is nowhere near as bad as you think it is (i remember trying to explain it to you before, to no avail)..its mostly an attitude..most horse people are swimming in debt :)

17. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

p.s. we shall agree to disagree.

18. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

yeah well maybe if a upper middle lowerclass family had a dad working as a nuclear safety technician and a convenience store clerk then perhaps they could enjoy all the wonderful things of horseback riding. but i sincerely doubt that so it shall remain a sport for the snobby rich 'elite' who cluck their tounges, stroke their beards and say...far too much simpsons content for one post :p

19. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

isn't there like, a pound where stray horses go to?

and elite nothing! it took me a long time to lose my snob accent..faaaaaathah, you have made me thu happiest girl who's eva liived

actually that sounded more like i came from the ghetto..but you know :)

and Jay you so got 10 million BP's for that post :)

20. BassInMyFace

BassInMyFace TRIBE Member

I could basically QUOTE and repost this whole thread again it is so phukkin funny!

Lots of sports in the Olympics are kinda off-beat, and often are dominated by the countries which they are native to.

I think they should seriously consider corrupt officiating a olympic sport, scince it got as much air-time as most of the current events.
    They could have a game/event/race running, but the cameras would be focused on the judges to see who is most corrupt.

Points are awarded for acts such as,
    -Accepting cash bribes.
    -Giving into pressure of the press.
    -Bringing politics into the games.
    -Bringing racial/national predjudices into the games.
    -Picking a Favorite Country/Team and doing everything in their
    corrupt power to see that they win.

Now for some Canadian Flag waving ........CANADIAN HOCKEY KICKS YANKEE ASS!!!!!!!!! GOLDx2 or it the GOLD Squared? lol

21. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

upside down even?

22. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

i think those are null and void now
    :p

23. BassInMyFace

BassInMyFace TRIBE Member

hmmmmmm not sure, as in I must be reading this upside down? lol sorry

24. H2Whoa

H2Whoa TRIBE Member

Hockey played throughout much of Asia? Let's get real.

I must have missed the Vietnamese, Indian, Sri Lankan, New Guinea, Thai and Pakistani teams.

Most Asian countries don't play or know hockey along with:
    South America
    Mexico
    Central America
    West Indies
    Tonga
    etc...

25. AVE

AVE TRIBE Member

there is no way that hockey is accessible to 99% of the population. It is a very expensive sport to play......and unless you just want to play on the pond all your life(good luck getting to the olympics that way), then you have to spend thousands for equipment, joining a team, tournaments, etc...

its ridiculous to think that hockey is anywhere near as accessible as, say, soccer, which really is the world's sport. All you need is a ball