1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The Time Machine

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Stan, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

Has anyone heard anything about this movie? It looks pretty interesting, especially since it's starring Guy Pierce (LA Confidential, Memento).

2. Directed by the H.G. Wells' great grandson, who had to drop off the project because of exhaustion, and had the director of The Mexican step in to finish off the job. It features Guy Pearce, Jeremy Irons (as the lord of the Morlocks), Orlando Jones (as a hologram) and a pretty low profile cast. It's being released mid March, and looks pretty good so far. It was orginally set for a Christmas release, but had to be redone slightly, as there is a scene of a chunk of the moon striking down the world trade centre (by a fucked up coincidence. I saw some rough footage of the actual scene, and it's pretty disturbing to watch).

From the Ministry of that's what I know so far. No McDonalds or Burger King tie in's -> so far so good.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

3. Fir3start3r

Fir3start3r TRIBE Member

Guy Pearce was also in The Count of Monte Cristo...

I really like this guy's acting...anyone else?

4. Memento was his defining role for me :)

From the Ministry of my choice for best film of 2001

5. noahmintz

noahmintz TRIBE Member

Am I missing something?
    I saw Momento and thought it was a good movie ... but not as amazing as everyone says it is ... maybe I should watch it again or something

stu

6. For me it's the whole backwards narrative. I've never really seen that done before, and that was one of the most original methods of telling a story I had ever seen. Very clever, and made me constantly wonder: "OK, how did he get here, and what exactly is happening now?"

Also, the underlying philosophical tangent of memory and its meaning to us, how we warp things that happen to us to our liking to make it seem good or better than it actually is. Also, the theme that memory is not a reliable thing, was very satisfying, and made the film stand out that much more to me.

From the Ministry of that's just the tip of the iceberg. The acting was absolutely stellar, and Guy Pearce made what could've been a one note performance into something very multi-dimensional. Carrie Anne Moss and Joe Pantiliano, were excellent in playing characters that have secrets that they are hiding, but aren't letting on what they know against Leonard Shelby.

7. noahmintz

noahmintz TRIBE Member

Well ... it would have been better if Mel Gibson was in it!
    (Don't worry ... I'm kidding)

stu

8. Stan

Stan TRIBE Member

It's like an onion.

Or parfait, even.

9. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

U mean it stinks?

10. Plato

Plato TRIBE Member

am i the only one who saw the trailor for the time machine and thought it to be utter and complete shite and had to restrain themselves from massacering the audience!?

it looks soo dumb, and the storyline looks like they were striving to peice it together..oh god...

p[l]a+0

11. Sporty Dan

Sporty Dan TRIBE Member

........and with one fell swoop I will infest Stan;s thread with a Simpson;s quote.

Taylor: Oh, don't be modest. I'm glad we have someone who can join us in our anagram game.
    Alison: We take proper names and rearrange the letters to form a description of that person.
    Taylor: Like, er...oh, I don't know, uh...Alec Guinness.
    Alison: [thinks] Genuine class.
    Taylor: Ho ho, very good. All right, Lisa, um...Jeremy Irons.
    Lisa: [looks with consternation] Jeremy's...iron.
    Taylor: Mm hmm, well that's...very good...for a first try. You know what? I have a ball. [pulls one from his pocket] Perhaps you'd like to bounce it?

dan.

12. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

Have you seen A Beautiful Mind yet? An obvious best actor award from Russel Crow. Best performance from him to date..including the insider. I would also give it the nod over memento for Best Picture. Superbly acted, keeps you constantly guessing, twists and a heart felt and original story make the difference.

Its not as completely original as Memento but definately does not follow the typical hollywood formula.

13. twist

twist TRIBE Member

no morlocks no movie. hook it up with some fine eloi ass.

14. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

You don't watch Seinfeld?

15. Actually I watched this with Pr0nstar last night, and it was quite good, but I still liked him better in The Insider, as he was playing a character that we as an audience didn't necessarily like, but sympathized with his situation. It was a really good movie, but better than The Insider? Not for me. :) Same goes for choosing btwn it and Memento. Memento was a breakthrough film, and I think the trickier film to make and edit. I really liked what they did in A Beautiful Mind to keep you guessing what's real and what isn't.

True, and that's what I've liked about Ron Howard's films; his willingness to think outside of the box so to speak. He made mathmatical calculations seem riveting in Apollo 13, and made Mel Gibson not such a nice guy again (something that hadn't been done since The Road Warrior) in Ransom.

From the Ministry of deserves a nomination, but my love for Memento is absolute. :D

16. Yeah, but Guy Pearce isn't a whiny little twit that has schmoes for friends.

From the Ministry of hates Seinfeld. Julia Louise Dreyfuss's show should last as long as the other alumni's stabs at after Seinfeld life.

17. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

You know what's good?

"The Interview".... stars Hugo Weaving, who played Agent Smith in "The Matrix"...

18. Guy being interrogated as to whether or not he was involved in a crime right? Whole film takes place in an interrogation room?

From the Ministry of that the one I'm thinking about?

19. PosTMOd

PosTMOd Well-Known TRIBEr

That's the one... cranks up the tension. *snap*

20. xtollo

xtollo TRIBE Member

Time Machine looks fun! Eh! I wanna see it.

Memento-schmento. I say Requiem for a Dream best 2001

Beautiful Mind was so Fight Club - Brad Pitt and + Jennifer Connely
    Russell Crowe IMO isn't good, just isn't bad. I'd say Ed Norton blows him out of the water.

Jon

21. That came out in 2000.

From the Ministry of still a great film.

22. xtollo

xtollo TRIBE Member

2000 ay? It's still on the new release rack. I think Requiem is finally getting the credit it deserves tho. AMAZING MOVIE!

"Mah, are you on uppahs?"
    moo hah

Jon