the pros and cons of living in toronto?!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by skyparty, Jan 14, 2002.

1. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

ok- so after spending a superfuntime in toronto and coming home missing toronto more than anything...and having one of my best friends move to brampton snap of the fingers- i've been seriously considering moving back. he just picked up and moved. so it's that easy?

i mean honestly- what is there for me here?

i live in a town of 75 000 people. i'm a waitress/cashier trying to save cash to buy a car and go back to college. i still live at home, although i do need to move out and was considering that around spring/summer. but why move out within sarnia when i can just MOVE?

there aren't very many jobs here to begin with and currently i'm getting fucked over anywayz. i work once or twice a week at my waitressing job and the same as a cashier.

i make around $500 month?! sometimes if that. i mean really- i could move anywhere i want to and do the same thing and make more money! i could probably be a fulltime waitress (which obviously right now im not)and guaratee more tips then what i'm making now (which i might add is pure shit!)

i do eventually want to go back to school but right now- i jsut can't do that.

i have money saved for a car (over $3000) that i guess i could take some of that and move with it.

i was talking to friend over the phone about my fears of moving... it's leaving my mom behind that makes me sad. but i'm going to have to move away soon enough! i am 21 years old... iguess it's just the fact my mom and i are so close- and i am her only kid. ok so i'm a mommy's girl hehe

and my friends-- but you know the truth is! my friends want to move anywayz. we're jsut stuck in this stupid city unabable to make enough money to move. lucky for me, i do have cash saved and well- i have friends who would help me out by maybe putting me up a place to crash for a bit?! *hinthintwinkwink*

but i mean pros and cons?

pros- it's toronto!
    cons- it's expensive

i mean, is it easy to find affordeable housing?

is living in the ghetto- really ghetto?

is it easy to find a job? (stupid question, but i mean a job that i can afford to live in toronto)

i just have so many questions and what ifs and whatever... many some of you could help me out?

thanks

narissa [​IMG]

2. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

i love living here..i live in poverty, but its a hell of a lot better than living in a town of 400 ppl.
    its close to my school, close to my friends, and theres always something to do. my parents dont understand why i chose to live here, and pay through the nose for everything..but theres a certain level of satisfaction knowing that i can look after myself (more or less) that i wouldnt trade for the luxery of living at home.

3. joey

joey TRIBE Member

you've pretty much summed it up right there.

I was actually just having this conversation with an old friend..

Toronto has pretty much everything you want. Especially for someone in your age bracket. There are ample jobs out there, and if you get a good one you can make sweet cash (talking about waitressing)

to live downtown is pretty expensive, but if you don't it's not that bad. Find a spot on (or close) to teh subway route and you're set.

Another con of not living in Toronto is there is absolutly nothing at all to do in most other cities in Canada.

4. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

If you move out, will you be bringing your webcam with you?

Ming.

5. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

Mel, dont be rude.

6. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

the answers to your questions

no
    yes
    no

toronto is probaably much more expensive than what you may be acustomed to rent would be cheap if you could find a spot for around $700, most likely you will be sharing a place with other roomate though so that figure really depends on what you choose, the ghetto is just that.. there are bad and good areas of toronto stay away from anything north of queen and sound of bloor between jarvis and sherborne, stay away from regent park and parkdale, i suggest, the beaches, church/wellsley,king/bathurst, and high park.

as for finding a job, it's not hard to find one, but you may have to commute and with the unemployment rate going up i would venture to say its going to get worse.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decisions

Kyfe

7. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

so like where? anywhere?

like mine. ?!

narissa [​IMG]

8. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

the problem with toronto is all the other people living there! dammit

9. DarkRave

DarkRave TRIBE Member

Wow.. Im excited for you on this adventure you are contemplating..

Toronto rocks! its got its seedy/dodgy side just like every city there is but imagine having breakfast in the beaches, mucking about in Kensington Market, going to the ROM, dinner at one of the restaurants on Baldwin and then partying it up that same nite.. and thats just one day! The sheer amount of things you can do in the city is limited by imagination and money... cha-ching!!

hmmmm, it is easy to find a job. What matters is what do you want to do i.e., do you want a joe-job or work at something you like? Its also more easier to develop a network (nothing to do with IT [​IMG] ). You should take some time during the work week and start handing out resumes. This way you have a job before moving out.

Housing? I just signed for bachelor (queen and broadview) with high speed and including utilities for $650.00/mnth. The area is not that great compared to where I am right now (queen and john) but, its still quite the deal.

Hope that helps...

love and laughter..

pen

10. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

Toronto is my favourite city in the world, it beats everything I ever saw in South America, Europe or Africa...But they say it's the people that make the city. Maybe it's just the friends I have there [​IMG]

Toronto has everything. Theatre, Clubs, Restaurants, Art Galleries...but it's different then say NY, not as big and impersonal, safer, clean..

it's da best!

~allie~

11. PinkAngeL

PinkAngeL TRIBE Member

You don't necessarily need a car if you decide to live in Toronto.
    That might give you some extra cash.

12. BassInMyFace

BassInMyFace TRIBE Member

Skyparty, I am in the same boat. I am seriously thinking of moving to TO. My girlfriend is from TO and will be moving back there in SEPT cause she is finished her program in London.

Im from a small town (Huntsville) and I love the city.
    Have lived in Vancouver and London On.

I am only in my hometown still becasue I was broke after London and I get paid $17 an hour at my job. But I am not happy. 2hr drive to go to System is too much! [​IMG]

I am thinking about all the same things you are, but what I would like to know from all you T-Dot peeps is if having a car is worth it in a city with good Public Transit?
    Peace

13. louie

louie TRIBE Member

bwaaahhahahahahahahah

YES............ stay away from your major ghetto's

14. pr0nstar

pr0nstar TRIBE Member

Pro - I live here, and I'm cool like dat! [​IMG]

pr0nstar [​IMG]

15. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

I love Toronto no doubt, grew up here, been many places and always came back but you've got all that cash, no reponsibilities...Get the hell outta here nahmean!! Go see the world, down under, Europe, S.America, Asia wherever...Toronto will always be here, there will always be low paying jobs in the service sector. Take that $3000 and get on a jetplane baby you'll never regret it!!

Dick

16. djcheezwhiz

djcheezwhiz TRIBE Member

fully agree...i have a close friend who went to S America, travelled, taught english in a very remote town in bolivia...when he returned his experience travelling totally paid off in his job search...

jc

17. FunK_DoCta

FunK_DoCta TRIBE Member

If you are going to be living in the suburbs which is much more affordable and work downtown or somewhere far from home then yes it is worth having a car. But if you are going to live right downtown then a car is a waste of money and at most hours of the days the subway or even walking will get you there faster than driving. Besides, it's less stress too with all the traffic, crazy cabbies, and no turns b/w such and such an hour. Another thing, trying to find parking is a bitch and mighty expensive as a lot of housing and older buildings (cheaper places to live) here don't have parking. Most lots/garages go for 150+ a month. You may be able to get permit parking for the street for much less but those spaces are hard fought over.
    And basically everything you need is close by. The only time I ever wished I had a car is if I wanted to go visit friends that live in Mississauga or Scarborough but I always managed to find a way. And even for places like those there is always the GO TRain. So my vote goes for no car if you are planning on living downtown.

18. joey

joey TRIBE Member

Pretty much anywhere...

not in Rosedale or any of the really nice areas..

i lived in 3 different spots in toronto
    near the high park station, kennedy station and college station. although i had roomates at them all i never paid more then $400/month (rent - not including bills)

ya my city sucks ass as well, all cities suck for night life compared to toronto

19. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

the thing is though--

i've already done that
    i've lived in france on two occasions...
    i've been to spain, germany, luxembourg, denmark, holland, belgium...

i've done enuf travelling to tide me over.
    i'd love to go to egypt, or africa but i can do that another time...

i just want to move out.
    toronto seems the ideal place to do it!

WOW that's pretty good! did you have a roomate?

and when would you guys say is the best time to move????

narissa [​IMG]

20. Moez

Moez TRIBE Member

one of the biggest reasons I love living in Toronto is diversity.

I live in an area that is mere blocks away from the Annex, steps away from China Town, Kensington Market, Little Italy, U of T and I could go on from there.

it's simply awesome.

21. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

s'all bout da kensington quarta

22. tommysmalls

tommysmalls TRIBE Member

werd up kodos!

KENSINGTON MASSIV!

...kensington is great cause its basically dundas/spadina'ish, and bachelor's go for about 600-700/month, and then you've got the market for all your fresh food needs...produce costs less than 1/2 than what you'll pay at the grocery store!

...there's a lo income housing ghetto - but its a peaceful ghetto - a happy ghetto [​IMG]

cheers,
    tommy

23. kodos

kodos TRIBE Member

and the food isnt just fresh - its better than what you'll find in a grocery store

mmm gay cheeze
    mmm weird bread
    mmm various frozen widgets from the ice box
    mmm organic products costing less than their chemically saturated counterparts

24. gRoOviegurl

gRoOviegurl TRIBE Member

so MOVE already...............

seriously, I myself will admit to being a mommy's girl but RE-READ your post!!!

You have practically convinced yourself to leave right?????

I think you know what you want to do and want affirmation from people on this board (which is fine) but ultimately, it is YOUR decision and *I* think you have already convinced yourself you want to go.

I bet the one thing holding you back is the fact that you are worried about your mother being alone and you being so far away! I am the same way but in the end, you can't live your life for your mother! Just make a promise to yourself that you will visit all the time and keep in contact by phone every couple of days. That will make your conscience AND your heart feel better.

Remember: If you hate it, you can always move back!!!!!!!!

25. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

Whatever...parkdale massif represent!!! Can I get a wha...wha!

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*