1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

The old tunes thread

Discussion in 'Jungle Room' started by rentboy, Mar 13, 2010.

1. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Youtube is awash with old tracks. I've been coming across some really nice obscure and underplayed stuff from way back when.
    If you know any that should be heard, then link up :)

I'll get things started with two solid tunes from 97 era from Digital.

2. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

3. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

97 = too late

4. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

too late for what? It was a great era in the sound.

5. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

consistency wise I think the sound started losing something major

dont get me wrong, there is tons of sick shit from 97

esp from congo natty

6. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

See, i don't understand that argument. What did it lose? I think the sound as a diverse whole gained so much more.

Fair game to you Ghaleon, you clearly love and cherish the music prior to 95.

7. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

I'm a huge fan of 97-99. If we wanna talk about poopie tunes we're definitely talking about '96.

8. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

I just dont like the hardstep/2 step sound nearly as much as amens

9. Mr. Magyar

Mr. Magyar TRIBE Member

Don't know how much play this really got, but it's a lovely Doc Scott remix of The Art of Noise's "Something Always Happens."

Deep, deep, deep bass from Tek 9. Stuff like this was always ignored in Toronto as too many of the local DJs always catered to the lowest common denominator.

10. Mr. Magyar

Mr. Magyar TRIBE Member

One last one ...

The flipside to Dillinja's "Muthafucka." I don't really remember hearing this played out. Anyway, it's too bad Dillinja fell off because everytime he released something, you knew it was going to be special.

11. unique2100

I hope my love for the amen isn't in question here.LOL The more time passes though the more I like the non Amens I mean everything from Metalheadz in that era was insane, and all these tunes that seem minimal now but were dark and heavy then. They are shaping the sound of what Jungle really is IMHO. 92-95 was like everyone making the same amen tune, 96 people had started to hone their skills, but that 97-99 shit was people going dark slightly straying from just Amens, and the sound that was created still resonates with what's current and future in Jungle. But the latter point my be based by my bias of the stuff I really dig.

12. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

ive heard my buddy drop this in a set, decent tune

Dillinja had way better in 94-95 though :D

production was defaintely among the best of the era

13. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

O my lord what a tune

14. Mr. Magyar

Mr. Magyar TRIBE Member

This was '95, but you are right: Dillinja could not be touched in in those two years. The stuff he made after was pretty cutting edge. Him and Lemon D had a great metallic, practically industrial sound going. It all went downhill after he remixed Bambaata. Same bassline and same drums arranged differently.

15. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Couldn't agree with you more regarding Metalheadz around that time. They really carved open this incredible depiction of the future of music. Their roster was littered with artists at the top of their game.

I love amens as much as you cats, but some other drumwork outside of that was and is essential to the evolution of the sound. We were spoiled back then and Toronto never really embraced some of the finer elements (there was way too much jump up and ragga here).

btw, nice picks Magyar :)

Anyway enough politicking and more tunes:

Some more 97 flex.

A nice, chill cut:

The flip remix of this was more amen driven and my preferable choice.

I personally think this is one of the finest pieces of electronic music ever made. Krust was untouchable around then (Genetic Manipulation EP for instance). A true visionary classic.

This must have smashed floors apart. Big tune.

I love how ahead of its time this sounds, even today. So futuristic.

16. unique2100

The classic.

17. unique2100

A personal fave from way back.

18. Mr. Magyar

Mr. Magyar TRIBE Member

Potential Bad Boy showing you can produce excellent jump-up and ragga. This guy's sound was always sleazy and dirty. A lot of the first wave DJs like Ruffneck, James St. Bass, Jungle PhD, and Medicine Muffin played Potential Bad Boy a lot. I can't say the same about the second wave.

19. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

Limited E edition is a label with tons of gems on it

20. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

One of the dirtiest tunes ever made. Sheer technical wizardry from the Source Direct boys.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  21. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Nice one JP. I'll never grow old of this tune. My all time fave :)

22. Mr. Magyar

Mr. Magyar TRIBE Member

Loved the sound that Nookie and his various guises pushed.

23. LunaVC

LunaVC TRIBE Member

need to check out theat Lightnin and Tunder joint yeah

also Pure - Anything test

can't be arsed to embed

24. Mr. Magyar

Mr. Magyar TRIBE Member

Yup, I love that Reinforced sound. These guys did their own thing and unfortunately started to get ignored despite creating a lot of the sounds other producers extensively used.

Old Peshay tune ... Enough said.

25. rentboy

rentboy TRIBE Member

Peshay-Nocturnal is one of my all-time favourites.

Everything Matrix did prior to his Sleepwalk album was stellar. I love the deep dirty funk vibe on this one.